Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag Arms Piston

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default Stag Arms Piston

I know you guys are on top of the ar15.I was wondering what you think of the stag arms model8 piston ar15.For around 1000.00 is this a good buy.How does stag rate for quality and dependability.

Thanks

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I had one.
Put about 1k rounds through it.
I sold it.

Recoil impulse sucked. The tinging sound of metal on metal as the piston drove the BCG always made me cringe. Felt recoil was a lot more than any of my other DIs. Its piston system is markedly heavier than a Di. Made the rifle front heavy.

Changed my whole opinion of pistons systems, I am now a diehard Di-man.

One a side note, I called Stage a few time to resolve the issue of the recoil impulse, they were unhelpful. But when I had an issue with one of the MI buis and they took care the problem with no fuss. They sent me a replacement, and a prepaid envelop to send the old one back. Pretty damn sweet service.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Stag makes some of the best AR's on the market. I really suggest just to get a DI gun. In my opinion, piston AR's came too late to make a real difference in AR functionality and reliability. If piston ARs had come out 10 years earlier there probably wouldn't be DI guns anymore.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am waiting on my first AR to get to my local gun shop via Fedex right now, and it happens to be a Stag Arms model 8L. I did a little research and most owners really like this weapon. There are several youtube videos on the model 8 that are very helpful and encouraging. Being a left I needed a LH di or a gas-piston if I didn't want a face-full of gas everytime I shoot. The Stag model 8L was both AND affordable. Can't wait to shoot it, I think I'm gonna like the flip-up diamondheads!