Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5686 Times on 3213 Posts
Likes Given: 5076

The original Stoner system, AR-10 and AR-15 was specifically designed for direct impingement by Stoner. If his system would have worked better with a piston, he would have used one.

I seriously doubt that any of us know enough to tell Eugene Stoner that he made a mistake in using DI.

BTW, the old Swedish Lgungman (sp?) 8X57 was a DI design, and it was a superb rifle.

There's nothing wrong with piston rifles. But if you want a piston, buy a rifle that was originally designed for one.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I can't agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Look at the improvements made to the 1911. Today's 1911s are made with better materials and better parts. It has evolved into a much finer tool. So to do I believe that the AR continues to evolve. I want there to be advances made to it. I'm glad it doesn't come with a 1/12 twist or with a carry handle. I like the fact that people are making ambidextrous controls and free floating hand guards and rails. I like my collapse-able stock. Today's AR15 is not the same beast developed by Stoner in the 1950s. I'm glad that it isn't.

As for the piston driven ARs, I just don't think I have the need for one. It makes the rifle heavier and costs more. If I had the need for one, I'd look closer at it but my brief 3k round experience with one makes me say I need to approach that system more carefully. I don't think it is necessary for my taste or uses. I think the concept is good, and applaud its development. I just wouldn't buy one. Now if I were storming the beaches of Normandy, and expecting fire suppression roles and being in the field for weeks at a time, I'd re-evaluate my needs and re consider pistons. But I can honestly say, I'd have no reservations about grabbing any of my DIs and jumping in the fray. I might need more pmags tho........

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-31-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #23

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Change for the sake of change blows chunks. Change because it improves something is always good. Otherwise, we wouldn't have pizza! (or AR's, as it is really just the next step in the evolution of the M4).

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?