Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
would bcm be a good ar brand in D.i. system? only thing i give gas piston system ar's is in an example of shooting constantly, and takes longer to do maintence and comparing to a D.i., D.i.'s components wear faster due to the residue going into the insides and heats it up too...
I disagree with all of the above except that the BCM is an excellent choice. The piston's supposed advantages vaporize in the real world.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
the only benefit i see from a piston system referring to firing FA, the other advantage i see is that it will take longer for one to clean the insides
Quote:
would bcm be a good ar brand in D.i. system? only thing i give gas piston system ar's is in an example of shooting constantly, and takes longer to do maintence and comparing to a D.i., D.i.'s components wear faster due to the residue going into the insides and heats it up too...
None of that is true.

Like most of us have said cleaning isn't easier, doesn't take less time, and the pro of FA is not worth the cons even if you were going to be firing FA.

DI's do not wear faster.

Where did you get this information?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

i recognize that cleaning will take a good amount of time but how many rounds later will i have to clean it compared to a D.i. style ar

Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Um ok. Iono in the course of a day I've gone through 1k+ rounds with a di runing and gunning and doing rapid fire drill. No.failures to speak of, and un believably I did this all with a DI gun, in the desert. Shooting prone, rolling around a bit too, getting down and dirty. Its just a good old time. Unbelieveably I did it again, and again, and you know what I'm gonna do it again in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

i see what you mean but using this as a example. lets say you clean @ 1500 rounds, at that point im still shooting and havent needed to clean the piston driven...not trying to offend, just trying to express what i mean (no offense)

Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I do admit. The bcg gets no where near as dirty as a DI's. But ther gas port does get nice and fouled with lots of nice carbon build up.

I like to spend a good 20 mins cleaning each of my DIs if I have the time. Picking all the carbon off the bcg does take a bit of time. But if I'm in a rush, bore snake the barrel a couple time, lube my bcg and I'm done. 3 minutes flat and I wouldn't think twice about going through another case of 5.56.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-31-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
i see what you mean but using this as a example. lets say you clean @ 1500 rounds, at that point im still shooting and havent needed to clean the piston driven...not trying to offend, just trying to express what i mean (no offense)
Armed Citizen, double that and it's what my Daniel Defense ate w/o failure before seeing any sort of real TLC.

There is also an article titled Filthy 14. The subject of that story is an AR (BCM) that went 50k rounds in EAG carbin courses w/ no more cleaning than a wipe down.

You are more than welcome here but sit back and absorb the info given. You'll be better off for it.

Piston ARs are fine but have some important cons and no real pros for the average shooter.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #18

Geez, I clean my rifle after every range trip regardless if I shot 20 rounds or 1000

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly
Geez, I clean my rifle after every range trip regardless if I shot 20 rounds or 1000

I used to do the same thing...matter of fact, I bought my LWRCI specifically so I wouldn't have to tear down the BCG after EVERY trip. I'm just lazy that way.

After talking w/some of these guys, I've come to the conclusion that a pristine rifle.....it's not necessary.

I still don't let them go more than a couple thousand rounds tho....

Old 03-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #20

I actually enjoy cleaning them. After a day at the range, I strip then down. Makes a whole day out of it between the range and cleaning. Gives me some time away from the misses too!