Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default Stag Arms Model 8 pros/cons?

was in the market looking for a Stag Arms Model 8..has anyone had some experience with the Model 8? pros/cons besides the short stroke piston system?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #2

Piston driven keeps the upper receiver cleaner and cooler... Thats about it. If you are using semi auto, doesn't matter if it is di or piston.

Piston - easier to clean upper, cooler to run

Di - been around for decades, works

I was looking at the Stag 8 but settled for the model 2 t and love it. Also bought a Stag 5 h

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #3

thanks for the input, ive too looked at different ar15 makers and come to the conclusion of getting the stag model 8.. is stag arms a decent company in terms o quality compared to say S&W or Colt? i know Stag used to make parts for S&W before

Old 03-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As a owner of both, DI and piston, one is not cleaner that the other.

I'm not a fan of Stag either, middle of the road and over priced for what you get. I would probably look around for an alternative such as BCM. $1k can get you a high quality AR if you look in the right places.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #5

im assuming the 1k bcm is D.I.?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Under $1k, roughly $930. It's a more proven manufacturer and system. If you're not firing FA a piston system really has no benefits. It does have cons however like added weight up front, more moving mass, and commonly over gassed.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

the only benefit i see from a piston system referring to firing FA, the other advantage i see is that it will take longer for one to clean the insides

Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't do it. If you're gonna go with a piston system choose another system. I've had personal experience with the Model 8. Letting it go was the easiest thing to do.

While I wouldn't say that recoil was harsh like a .308 or 30-60, it is harsh. I attribute the recoil impulse it to the piston slamming into the carrier. I liken it to putting your face on an anvil and having your buddy smack the anvil with a ball peen hammer. Not very pleasant feeling.

And the impulse isn't smooth, its much harder to control when doing controlled pairs or rapid fire. DIs are much smoother and easiler to control. Now I haven't written off pistons completely and would like to get my hands on a factory Adams Arms, POF, LWRC, LMT, or ADCOR BEAR. But would personally never buy a piston again unless I had a chance to test drive it first. Besides DIs haven't failed me yet.

One last thing, that piston design was heavy. Solid and ruggedly designed, but seriously nose heavy.

The only good thing about the Model 8 is.....crap I was about to say price.....but DIs are soo much cheaper.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-31-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly
Piston driven keeps the upper receiver cleaner and cooler... Thats about it. If you are using semi auto, doesn't matter if it is di or piston.

Piston - easier to clean upper, cooler to run

Di - been around for decades, works

I was looking at the Stag 8 but settled for the model 2 t and love it. Also bought a Stag 5 h

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk
The bolt carrier group is cooler and cleaner...the piston itself is a nasty, HOT bastard....cleaner BCG is the only advantage that I can tell.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #10

would bcm be a good ar brand in D.i. system? only thing i give gas piston system ar's is in an example of shooting constantly, and takes longer to do maintence and comparing to a D.i., D.i.'s components wear faster due to the residue going into the insides and heats it up too...