Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag Arms lower... what do I do???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stag Arms lower... what do I do???

I bought a Stag Arms stripped lower. What are some good compliant parts that would make this a descent rifle? I am not looking for a sniper, but a solid reliable weekend shooter. I want to know what type of barreled upper/ lower parts are good for my use? thank you !!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

check out my AR-15 in my sig

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK37 View Post
I bought a Stag Arms stripped lower. What are some good compliant parts that would make this a descent rifle? I am not looking for a sniper, but a solid reliable weekend shooter. I want to know what type of barreled upper/ lower parts are good for my use? thank you !!!
Stag is MILSPEC and any upper you get from Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag of course, or other manufacturers should be fine. By "weekend shooter" I assume you're not looking to sink a lot into a match barrel. A decent Stag carbine upper would run you about $490 complete with BCG. (see here, for example)

Look around on ar15.com for a lower parts kit and a stock. You'll find pretty good prices there.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The above posts are both correct, but I too bought a Stag, and just went all Stag to keep it simple. Just my $.02

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 AM   #5

Default stag and optics

Bought two optics for real fun..Try the Nikon Monarch red dot. Sweet....

For 100 and 200 yds. bought a Nikon 3x9 prostaff. you ought to see the tight groups with this 1/9 barrel. Lots of fun and people at the range are amazed at asome of the groupings I am getting at those distances....I love this Stag:

Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #6

If you want a "Mil spec" upper, look into the LMT or the Bravo Company offerings. You will pay more, but they are better quality parts (ie magnetic particle tested, 1/7 twist, ect).

You need to also consider a few things.
What type of barrel (HBAR, Med-contour, light-weight)?
What type of gas system (carbine or mid length)?

Personally I don't mind a heavy barrel. I have a RRA 16" in HBAR with a mid-length gas system and I love that thing. I run a RRA 9mm buffer (heavier) and I have very little trouble with follow up shots. RRA also has a two stage trigger.

I also have a STAG 16" with a gov-profile M4gery (N203 cuts) barrel and a carbine gas system. I also run a 9mm buffer in it and it follows up quick, but not as quick as the middy.

Both of my rifles are parst guns, but I used RRA upper/lower and STAG upper/lower parts.

Spend your cash on a good stock. I have a CTM from magpul and I recommend it. Not the MOE stock, but the actual CTM with friction lock.

I'd also say find a grip that suites you well. The MOE from magpul is a great bargin as long as you feel comfortable with the slightly thicker grip (I do).

Get some Break free CLP. The AR likes to be lubed. Keep it lubed and it will serve you well.

Save your cash and skip the fore rail up front. Spend that on ammo. The AR is a blast to shoot and the more you shoot the more comfortable and effective you will be.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Merged the two threads - it would appear you are getting great info in both, so I put it all in one place.

JD

Old 11-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Compliant with what? You need to explain this before you take anyone's recommendations on parts.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
first great choice in the stagg i would go to brownells web site they have lots of info ten years ago i bought a DVD from a friend of mine and that's how i learned and I've never had a bad one

It only hurts till the pain goes away...

Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy34 View Post
first great choice in the stagg i would go to brownells web site they have lots of info ten years ago i bought a DVD from a friend of mine and that's how i learned and I've never had a bad one
Tommy just and FYI - you responded to a post that is over 2 1/2yrs old. The member has not been on FTF in over 2yrs.

Thanks for trying anyhow

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD