Stag arms JUNK!??? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms JUNK!???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I know he said it was fixed by switching to brass cased ammo. But, it should still not malfuction as much as it did.

Do you think the gas line could be the culprit? Quality ammo may have enough bang to push the bolt back even with an obstructed or damaged gas line, but the Wolf may only perform with a fully fuctioning gas line?

I have yet to use anything but brass, but a friend of mine has a Bushmaster AR, and he fires nothing but Wolf ammo. He's never had that much of a problem.

May be something to check in to...

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you go back to post#19 from the original poster, he describes the "fix" when he took the gun personally to Stag. It was the ammo. They told him that Wolf ammo doesn't supply adequate recoil energy to cock the bolt. They offered to "adjust" it for him, however they do that. I guess Stag AR's have an adjustable gas block? Or they would replace the bolt spring with a lighter one? All I know is I won't put cheap steel cased ammo in either of my match-grade AR's. Good ol' "Made in the USA" or my own reloads. Both of my manuals advise against steel cased ammo and several other foreign brands.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-26-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #33

Wolf ammo performs ok in other AR's, why not the Stag...

Maybe someone else with a Stag is willing to fire some Wolf ammo through it and post their results???

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #34

For some reason I can't shake this out of my head. So, I did some further research.

In The Gun Digest Book of the AR-15 Volume#2 author Patrick Sweeney has a section on Stag Arms.

In this section "pages 268-269" he and his partner fired 10,000 rounds of Wolf 55 grain FMJ "steel cased" ammo through the Stag AR in one day with only 3 malfuctions. They also fired Black Hills "red box" 52 grain "brass cased" ammo that day as well. He also makes a remark that others who were firing just as much brass cased ammo had just as many, if not more malfuctions.

There is no mention of the rifle being set up/modified to fire steel cased ammo and vice versa for brass.

Just for the record: I am not trying to defend Wolf's steel cased ammo "I myself only use brass." The point I am trying to make is that I do not agree with Stag's response to the orginal poster's problem.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Last edited by JWIII; 07-26-2008 at 05:50 AM.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use Wolf in my SKS exclusively. It's cheap, functional, and somewhat innaccurate, but my SKS , even being the more expensive YUGO, is NOT a match rifle and only capable of 2-3" groups. My AR's are very accurate and very expensive, and when the manufacturers specifically warn against using steel cased ammo, I have no desire to do otherwise. For the variety of reasons listed previously, I prefer to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, despite the success others may claim.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-27-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #36
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
Wolf ammo performs ok in other AR's, why not the Stag...
Ummm...no, that's not quite accurate. Plenty of AR owners -- Colt, DPMS, RRA, etc. -- have reported problems with Wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
Maybe someone else with a Stag is willing to fire some Wolf ammo through it and post their results???
No thanks. (I don't care about gumming things up; I can clean my rifle just fine. I care about the wear on the rifle with steel rather than brass.)

Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wolf ammo just plain sucks. I consider it the last resort for shooting in any of my guns for any purpose...

Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #38
jjh

Default I too have had ejector problems with stag

I purchased a stag model 2 a while back, using winchester ammo from a super-center, the 3rd round did not properly eject, then the 6th,the 12th and so on.
I tried different ammo (no Wolf) from 6 different mags and still had ejection problems, I took a bolt assembly from one of my other ar's, to this date no ejection problems.
I want to try the "defender" with my stag bolt, any suggestions?

Not to confuse anyone, I love my stag and wouldn't trade it for anything, and if it takes a new bolt to correct the problem it is a small price to pay.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 AM   #39

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Opinions are like...

I have a couple of 16" Stags. Excellent quality.

I also have cases of Wolf .223 stack very deep in the garage. When they were $140 per 1000, I bought many, many, many cases of it. Mine are the polymer coated rounds.

I have found the Wolf to be accurate enough for gunning down plates, but not as good as decent brass cased BH, Rem UMC, or USA Win.

The only malfunctions I have had with it were a couple of FTEs. Each one was the first round fired after a long string (or 5) of dumping mags in high heat. I discovered that if I got the rifle HOT, and then left a rd in the chamber (where it would cool down) the polymer coating would melt, cool down, and congeal. Thereby causing the occasional case to stick in the chamber when the round is fired. Mind you, this is a couple of malfunctions out of thousands of rounds fired. And only when the rifle was filthy dirty, red hot, and the ambient air temp well into the 120's.

So I began locking the bolt back, leaving the chamber empty, when I was done firing. This eliminated the problem completely.

Would I want to rely on Wolf .223 for my life? Not my first choice. But for training, it is great. And cheap.

I love the Wolf haters, because they leave more for me! Spread the word that Wolf sucks.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can't believe this one is still going....wait a minute, yes I can. After all, this is one of those threads like "what is the best brand of AR".

To the original poster or any of the others, if the manufacturer tells you that using brand 'x' will cause problems, then don't use it. Kind of like when you go to the doc and tell him it hurts if you do a certain thing, he will tell you...then don't do that thing

But seriously, I have used Wolf in a number of my own AR's with good results. No, no better than brass-cased ammo, but certainly not any worse. I've had worse luck with Rem UMC, than with Wolf. If you are using the older lacquer coated steel cased ammo, then yes, you will have problems with the tighter tolerances of an AR. But the polymer coated cases have for the most part eliminated that problem. And then there is the Wolf Gold - OMG!!!! Brass Cased WOLF??? Sure, if you leave a round in a hot chamber, lacquer can melt. But for using it for practice ammo, and making the effort to make sure you have an empty chamber, between sessions (makes sense to most from a safety stand point), then you shouldn't have probs.

Some might say that it must be that the Wolf ammo is being used in the cheaper brand 'x's, that's why it works. Bull...because there are several write-ups where the tester has run Wolf through brands such as Les Baer, Wilson, etc. with no more hiccups than good 'ol USA brassed cases.

Again, do I recommend that you use it in your 'expensive' AR's, whatever that brand may be, no - I don't. But then again, I won't recommend anything that I wouldn't use myself. I use it for practice ammo, like the previous poster. Would I use it in the event of a life threatening incident, well...if that's all I had in the gun or available, no problem. Would I use it to make the shot of a lifetime - such as a hostage situation, or to win in a close 3-gun match, definitely not. But then again, for that situation, I do have other choices of ammo and equipment I can and have used.

So, go ahead and leave the Wolf at the ammo counter, the rest of us will buy it and shoot it up just fine.

And heed your manufacturer's recommendations, if they suggest against it. After all, it is their warranty and product. But as far as the bashing goes against it.... All the more for me

Slo