Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms JUNK!???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
Thats not going to cut it for me. What guns did he test the Wolf ammo in? He could test it in an Ak47 and it might work great then come out and say its great ammo. It doesn't mean its going to be great in AR 15's and other guns. (I'm not saying thats what he did though).
Ahhh .... I was being facetious!

(Truth is, I wouldn't own the crap.)

Old 07-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

No way will I feed Wolf (particularly the steel-cased stuff) to my AR. So far, my Stag has performed flawlessly.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ?

Not that it matters to me what you choose to use in any of your firearms, but no where did I state that you should or should not use Wolf ammunition either. I simply stated that this particular person has incorporated Wolf ammunition in his tests/reviews of AR's quite often, ranging from entry level units to high dollar units, with no stated problems. Do a search on the internet to find any of his reviews. David Fortier. And he isn't the only one who does it.

No, I do not use Wolf ammunition in my AR's. No, not because I'm afraid that it might cause the same malfunctions as the original poster is experiencing either. It's because I typically get 2.5 to 3 moa using Wolf even in my most accurate AR's (Les Baer and a Noveske). So I prefer to use brands or reloads that are more accurate.

But I don't think that is the only problem the original poster is having with his Stag. Without knowing all the conditions/particulars, we are all just pissing in the wind.

Try a thorough cleaning of the chamber and barrel, without over-oiling it. Then put in a different magazine loaded with some other ammunition in .223 and see if the problem is repeating with different mags and different ammo. If the chamber is clean, not undersized from repeated lacquering, then one of the problems should be solved. If it is still not ejecting the spent ammunition (the "bolt action" reference), then it sounds like it is the extractor spring. You could also isolate this by trying a different bolt carrier assembly if you have one. And again....call their tech line.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Not that it matters to me what you choose to use in any of your firearms, but no where did I state that you should or should not use Wolf ammunition either.
No, but shrugod said it was Wolf, and the behavior described is in line with many other stories online from AR owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
I simply stated that this particular person has incorporated Wolf ammunition in his tests/reviews of AR's quite often, ranging from entry level units to high dollar units, with no stated problems. Do a search on the internet to find any of his reviews. David Fortier. And he isn't the only one who does it.
No doubt. A buddy of mine runs Wolf through his AR with no problems. (He uses the brass-cased stuff without the sticky lacquer stuff, though.)

There are a number of opinion posts out there saying Wolf is pretty dirty, not very accurate and that the steel-cased stuff can cause premature wear on your AR. Those are the reasons I'm not going to mess with it. (If I had an AK, I'd be all over inexpensive Wolf ammo.)

Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default no problem...

BKT,

No problem, no offense taken either. I know of quite a few that do use Wolf in their AR's (not cheap brands or inexperienced users either), with decent results. I don't encourage or discourage it. By all means, use, own, enjoy what you can afford and what works for you.

In this case, obviously something isn't working for the original poster. I guess I just tire of all the internet "cool-aid" of brand bashing, which one is better, etc, etc. There are just too many unknowns to point the finger just at the ammunition, and not enough heating up of the barrel (because he couldn't fire enough through it) to cause the type of problems that so many point the finger at Wolf about. So the problem is most likely someplace else. That's why I was trying to suggest other areas to look at, too.

To the original poster, I hope you were able to get a hold of the Stag folks and get/got the problem figured out.

Slo

Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #16

well, thanks for all the responses. to answer a few of your posts, i have tried several different magazines (13, two of them stag, six of them original gi, and the rest unknown)
i do not believe that wolf is the problem, as i stated earlier that i had a colt i used to run the stuff through with no problem. as for accuracy of the stuff, i have my m1a for that. the stag is the toy that i shoot the hell out of, and when i want to get out some aggression with a thousand rounds, 200 bucks for wolf beats the hell out of six hundred for good stuff.
i am going to take it down to stag arms like i said, they are right around the corner from me here in CT.
i can see the bolt action problem being something misaligned or something of that sort, but the stuck shells puzzle me.
it is comforting to know that you all do not believe it is a piece of crap. that is really what the original post was asking.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrugod View Post
it is comforting to know that you all do not believe it is a piece of crap. that is really what the original post was asking.
I personally would be really surprised if Stag Arms turned out an inferior unit and it reached the market. I would suppose it does happen, but CMT/Stag has been turning out the uppers & lowers used by countless companies to build their $1300 and $1800 "House Rifles". Their Quality Assurance program is pretty good - because they have a lot of customers.

One could always squeak through, and it's entirely possible something like that happened. However, if it did, I would highly suspect they would make immediate amends.

Good luck! Please let us know what they do for you in this case...

JD

Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Stag makes good stuff.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #19

UPDATE;
went to stag arms with the rifle. they solved my problems.

the problem with the "bolt action" was that the wolf military classic ammo does not have as much powder as most other loads, resulting in the bolt not always going back all the way to chamber the next round. they told me they would adjust the rifle if i wanted, so that it would take less power to push the bolt back. (they offered this service for FREE)

the problem with the rounds jamming in the bore every 50 rounds; they told me that they guaranteed that if i went to brass cased that it would not happen. that if it happened like that with brass they would buy my gun back immediately. they also stated that wolf will work in the gun if i were to take a chamber brush and use it every fifty rounds.
so i bit the bullet, went out and bought 500 rounds of winchester brass case. i loaded up every magazine i have, cleaned the gun well, and fired every round off in less than 5 minutes. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!! additionally, when i pulled the bolt back and looked in, the residue was barely visible, as if i had just fired 100 rounds of wolf, not 500!

my conclusion? you get what you pay for. i should have known better. if some ammo costs half of what everything else goes for, im gonna get half the fun.
and stag arms is a very customer friendly company, far from junk!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is really good to hear. Customer service is something that has gone to hell in a hand basket in this country, so it is always good to hear about a company willing to do the right thing with their products after the sale.

Thank you very much for posting the results of your trip back to Stag and their answers.

Good news for all to know in the future....

JD