Stag arms JUNK!??? - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms JUNK!???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a
Nate, I still think you might have an extractor or some bolt related issue. Just got back from our qualification range, and none of our lefties experienced any brass issues like that. The brass usually travels about 2 feet or so before it arcs back. Try putting in an insert in your extractor and see if that solves it.
It would be sweet if able to correct it. I think Bushmaster just made the shell kick off a bit small. I can I tell if its a bolt issue?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #182
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2623 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Nate,

As fsted advised if the casing is coming back toward you at that angel you have an extraction issue. First of all I would ask if you have been shooting Wolf steel case ammunition in it, that has the lacquer coating on it. If so that is probably your main problem. When the round is fired due to the fact the chamber would be lined with the melted and hardened lacquer from previous rounds, the round expands and sticks in the chamber as the Bolt Extractor is trying to pull it out. Therefore generating a sticking and the exaggerated angle that might cause it to strike you in the cheek or down your shirt. Simple cleaning will not remove this lacquer. I assume your rifle has a casing deflector on it? The other issue is does the weapon ever fail to extract? And does the weapon do this with good quality ammunition like Federal, Winchester, American Eagle (By Federal) or other good ammunition. Weak loads could contribute to a similar issue. Your brass with good quality ammunition and with a clean chamber should be extracting and exiting the rifle in relationship to a clock at about the 2:00 to 3:30 O'clock position. Any other pattern reflects an issue with the weapon. Being dirty, ammunition, extractor or ejector problem!

The other issue is Stag Arms and Rock River Arms makes fine left handed rifles. I do like the Rock River best for only one simple reason. The Ejection Port Door flips DOWN like it should. The Stag flips UP! Which to me just does not seem right. But the quality of both is good.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #183

Liked 230 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate913 View Post
It would be sweet if able to correct it. I think Bushmaster just made the shell kick off a bit small. I can I tell if its a bolt issue?
This is one of those trial and error type faults. After about 500 rounds or so, I go through my BCG and replace all the consumable type parts, such as gas rings, extractor spring, insert, and o-ring just out of habit. I replace my gas rings (on my DI rifles) every time I go to the range. I buy rings in bulk quantity, so it only costs a buck a trip, the price of one round these days. Better to spend a few bucks on serviceing the rifle than waste time and ammo trying to troubleshoot problems on consumable parts. Sorta like replacing spark plugs, plug wires, oil filters, etc.. I am a firm beleiver in preventative maintenance. Replacing these parts on your rifle is a 10 minute job, max. I am convinced you have a problem with your bolt. I just hope it is a consumable part, so you can keep the brass off your face. In any case, make sure you have proper eye protection when you shoot.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Nate,

As fsted advised if the casing is coming back toward you at that angel you have an extraction issue. First of all I would ask if you have been shooting Wolf steel case ammunition in it, that has the lacquer coating on it.
I think Wolf quit putting laquer on their cases a few years back. In any case, I never had an issue with their ammo, and my rifles are bastard red-headed stepchildren with multiple parents . But Nate's rifle may be a picky eater. An ammo switch may do the trick. I would replace the consumable parts, then if that didn't do it, run a mag with a premium brand through and see what happens.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #185

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I only use new brass quality ammo. I notice on my friends A.R., that his spent brass deflector stuck out longer than the one on my bushmaster.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #186

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
... I notice on my friends A.R., that his spent brass deflector stuck out longer than the one on my bushmaster.
C15, right? Lots of things different about those receivers!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #187

Quote:
I only use new brass quality ammo. I notice on my friends A.R., that his spent brass deflector stuck out longer than the one on my bushmaster.
If your spent cartridges, whether brass or steel, are touching the deflector on a regular basis, you should find out what is wrong.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #188

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

If your spent cartridges, whether brass or steel, are touching the deflector on a regular basis, you should find out what is wrong.
I shall look into it. Just got find out what I'm looking for.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #189

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
I shall look into it. Just got find out what I'm looking for.
Try a heavier buffer first.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.