Stag arms JUNK!??? - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms JUNK!???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgleas View Post
I looked at a number of various AR Forums to see what people were saying about Stag, spoke to fellow knowledgeable co-workers who own Stags, albeit earlier models, and obviously the dealer himself who sells numerous makes and models. He started out showing basic models including DPMS and Bushmaster to Del-ton, Armalite, S&W as well as other Stag models. He recently returned from the SHOT show where he stated that he spoke with a stag rep particularly noting the new handguards. Now that the rifle is rock solid it is a blast to shoot and I love it. I guess it just left a sour taste in my mouth that I immediately had to purchase an aftermarket handguard. then to get the response from Stag Customer service that "an 1/8 of and inch movement is normal for drop in handguards. Front sights should not be installed." I feel that when you purchase a brand new Stag fresh from the factory to the dealer with the Diamondhead Handguards, I dont feel they are a drop in component at that point.
I have no experience with this Stag or those handguards but it's interesting to look at Stag's own SHOT Show video on the Model 3 w/Diamondhead handguards where the front sight is NOT mounted to the handguard - instead it's mounted to the gas block (which of course should be pinned securely to the barrel). The guy even calls them handguards and says the price didn't go up over cheap handguards, hint, hint. That screams from the highest mountaintop their message, at least to me!

Is the Stag in the video the same exact configuration as yours? Did it come with the gas block sight or did you move it to the handguard rail or did it come from the factory that way? If so Tell Them! Anyway, talk to Stag again, see what a different person says. Might as well be sure, the first guy may have blown you off. But the video speaks volumes.

All I can say with 100% certainty here is $900 does buy an excellent AR if you compare the brands out there. Can you trust your dealer? No, he wants to sell you something and get the highest commission. Can you trust what you read on the internet or what coworkers say? No, maybe we're knowledgeable and maybe we're not but at least we're not asking for money. Is Stag junk? No. Can you do better for the money? Yes. How much research is necessary? As much as it takes, unfortunately more than most people are willing to do.

Also I notice you are from NY. Did things change because you have a ban compliant gun?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #142

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I looked at a number of various AR Forums to see what people were saying about Stag, spoke to fellow knowledgeable co-workers who own Stags, albeit earlier models, and obviously the dealer himself who sells numerous makes and models. He started out showing basic models including DPMS and Bushmaster to Del-ton, Armalite, S&W as well as other Stag models. He recently returned from the SHOT show where he stated that he spoke with a stag rep particularly noting the new handguards. Now that the rifle is rock solid it is a blast to shoot and I love it. I guess it just left a sour taste in my mouth that I immediately had to purchase an aftermarket handguard. then to get the response from Stag Customer service that "an 1/8 of and inch movement is normal for drop in handguards. Front sights should not be installed." I feel that when you purchase a brand new Stag fresh from the factory to the dealer with the Diamondhead Handguards, I dont feel they are a drop in component at that point.
If you like it that's all that matters.

I agree w/ Quentin's last post.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #143

Thank you both (mjkeat and Quentin). I guess I'll just chalk it up to lesson learned and pick up a couple overtime shifts. The rifle came bare with no sights; just top picatinny rail on upper and crap handguards. I was advised to mount the front sight on the handguard by an employee of the dealer in order to be able to co-witness w/ an optic that I have yet to purchase. The gas block picatinny rail is about 1/2 inch lower than the rail on the handguards. Like I said, Im new to the AR platform and lesson learned.

I did watch the video and I'm still waiting for a reply from Stag as to what accessories would be appropriate to flop around on said crap handguards.

As far as I know the only thing, other than sights, about the rifle that may be different from the video , due to my residence being in gun hating NY State, is that the telescoping stock is secured with an allen screw in the one threaded hole in the tube. Surprisingly, however it fits quite nice. Hope you guys dont mind but I'll make sure to post on here and wait for your responses before I buy anthing else for this rifle. Thanks again and be safe.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #144

Whoops! I forgot to drop in the link to the SHOT show video I referred to above... Sorry but glad you found it anyway, Sgleas.

Some manufacturers use the lower railed gas block like Stag and ArmaLite and others like S&W use the same height as a normal rail. Definitely a handicap with the low rail since you must be careful to find the more rare taller front sight.

Glad you do like the rifle as configured now, and honestly most of us end up replacing parts with something better. Maybe you can sell the Diamondbacks or maybe they mount better on a different AR. I've noticed that standard handguards fit much tighter on a circular end cap (the front handguard mount) than triangular, does yours by chance have triangular?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #145
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

roxienow.jpg
Sorry to hear that. Stag has always been a reliable outfit. I never wanted anything permanent in the handguard dept. Cleaning and re-config is my reason. Permanent mounts are for stuff that I don't intend to take off. Besides, after hand-hold and switches, there isn't much room to work with. I've been using this set-up for the past 4 years.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #146

I feel it necessary, since I'm new to the forum and this whole thing in general, to clarify that I am a corn-fed country boy from upstate NY and not what most people think when they see NY.

Now that that is off my chest.
Quentin- pretty sure the end cap is circular, at least semi-circular. The diamond head handguards were left with the dealer in exchage for my current UTG handguards. Seemed like a fair trade at the time. He gets junk, I get functionality and can go shoot. Guess I'm a hedonist cuz it felt real good.

rab-I love working with firearms and learning new things. the handguard seems real easy to take off and put on as long as I dont overtighten. Like your system a lot.

Almost embarassed after seeing the set ups here to post this but its a work in progress and only about a week old. Hopefully pic appears below. Home owners insurance company photo. Also please note NY compliant factory 10 round mag and pre-ban 30 rnd.

Opinions on next most important accessory?? Please no one say a clean blanket.

stag-arms-model-3.jpg  

Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #147

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I was Upstate for a while. Nothing like I thought it would be.

is that a rear sight on your upper?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I was Upstate for a while. Nothing like I thought it would be.

is that a rear sight on your upper?
Yeah. It is locked down in that that pic. Is it not supposed to be there??

Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #149

I wish I could find a Stag dealer near by...no one sells em near me...cheaper to order direct I guess anyways. Won't have to pay mark up if I cut out the middle man!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #150

Quote:
Yeah. It is locked down in that that pic. Is it not supposed to be there??
It's ok except I'd move it as far to the rear as you can so more rail is exposed for an RDS later.

Also a dirtier blanket would be better! A white background makes it hard to get a good picture - for example there's no detail in your picture. Try much darker next time so your flash isn't fooled. You should be able to read the serial number in the picture for insurance purposes.

______