Stag arms JUNK!??? - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms JUNK!???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I took the wife and kid to the range for the first time today, what a good time minus the cold front that rolled in dropping the temp 20 deg. in an hour. All we brought w/ us is Tula in .223 and Wolf 7.62x39 (finally got the converted Draco out).

Another flawless range trip.

Came home and transfered the firearms from their cases straight to the safe like every other trip.
What kind of conversion did you do ok the draco? I think one with a full butt stock would be pretty cool.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #122

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
What kind of conversion did you do ok the draco? I think one with a full butt stock would be pretty cool.
I'll PM as to avoid high jacking this thread anymore. Plus I've been whoring the poor thing out enough as it is

Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #123

I have a Stag Arms Model 2 carbine and it has been flawless. I just passed 3000 rounds on it and no issues. I always feed it brass ammo never used steel cased ammo in it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #124

Default Stag 15 ejection prob reply

bought one few days ago, a4 style. cleaned and oiled it. every single shell would stick in the barrel without ejecting

I just purchased one as well, took factory grease off, oiled and cleaned it. Same problem, the bolt will not go back far enough to eject the shell or pick up a new round. put 300 thru it bolt action style. re cleaned and oiled. i put 223 rem in it first gonna switch to 556 and hopefully that will do if not need to take it back and get checked out. poss bolt prob i guess. It is a quality weapon tho of that i am sure. update?

Wife- 10 years in the army
Friend- competition shooter
me- begginer

Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #125

should have looked on dammit sorry new to the forum. from what he said some better rounds should do the trick. thanks yall

Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #126

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Your AR is a bolt action yet you still claim it is quality? I wouldn't be able to trust the thing ever after a fiasco like that.

Better rounds? You were using some of the most commonly used stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I dont believe the newer wolf ammo is laquer coated , I know the steel cased bear and tiger ammo are but I dont believe the wolf or tula steel cased are laquered like those.

Im going to say your gun has too heavy of a buffer in it and its causing your short cycle problems

You are correct.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-24-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #127

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I dont believe the newer wolf ammo is laquer coated , I know the steel cased bear and tiger ammo are but I dont believe the wolf or tula steel cased are laquered like those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
bought one few days ago, a4 style. cleaned and oiled it. every single shell would stick in the barrel without ejecting

I just purchased one as well, took factory grease off, oiled and cleaned it. Same problem, the bolt will not go back far enough to eject the shell or pick up a new round. put 300 thru it bolt action style. re cleaned and oiled. i put 223 rem in it first gonna switch to 556 and hopefully that will do if not need to take it back and get checked out. poss bolt prob i guess. It is a quality weapon tho of that i am sure. update?
Im going to say your gun has too heavy of a buffer in it and its causing your short cycle problems

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #128

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

My opinion, and it is just that: MY OPINION, is that there are those who have precision AR's out there who might not want to shoot a lower grade ammo through their trophy or competition guns. If I were competing, I would probably use more expensive ammo myself. If that is the case, I would keep an AR set aside to practice with and shoot the cheaper ammo with, then shoot the high dollar ammo when it counted. I would keep the sights zero'd with the expensive rounds on my main gun, then shoot the Wolf rounds with a similar setup to what I have now. I don't any experience with Stag, but some of the threads on the forum suggest it is picky about the ammo it shoots, but otherwise a fine AR. Mine are more of SHTF guns that fire no matter what crap ammo I shoot.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #129
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The usual culprits are;
1. Ammo- lo-pwr ammo will cause short cycle. Some cheap ammo is coated with laquer to prevent rusting. This will coat the chamber&breech, and attract dirt
2. gas rings-make sure that the gas rings are staggered
3. have you cleaned & lubed lately?
4. check that the gas tube/gas block/ is connected and intact
I've shot several Brands of ammo. My only complaint has to do with the rust-inhibitor coatings.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #130

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
The usual culprits are;
1. Ammo- lo-pwr ammo will cause short cycle. Some cheap ammo is coated with laquer to prevent rusting. This will coat the chamber&breech, and attract dirt
2. gas rings-make sure that the gas rings are staggered
3. have you cleaned & lubed lately?
4. check that the gas tube/gas block/ is connected and intact
I've shot several Brands of ammo. My only complaint has to do with the rust-inhibitor coatings.
1. Ammo-mine will shoot anything. If there was ammo it wouldn't shoot, I would fix my gun so it would.
2. Gas rings-good iidea. I replace mine after every trip to the range. Only$0.35 each, so that is cheap maintenance
3. I am a lazy @$$ when it comes to cleanup. I drop my bcg in solvent and use brake cleaner for the rest, then put a little lube on it and call it a day. I got other things to do with my time. My gun shoots when I want it to.
4.Checking gas tube/block is a good idea.
As others have posted, you might want to check your buffer/spring setup. I know of a few guys who have a different buffer/ spring setup for practice ammo than what they have for competition ammo. If you have an adjustable gas block, you might also want to change your setting.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin