Stag arms JUNK!??? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Stag arms JUNK!???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedCitizen View Post
The problem is not your rifle. It's the ammo. Wolf Ammo is cheaply produced. Which is why it's so cheap to buy. The casings aren't 100% uniform and are Coates in an anti-corrosive material that melts in a hot gun.
A goof friend of mine owns a Stag Arms AR. I've put a few hundred rounds through it myself. Never a problem with brass casings. Not even my reloads.
I would never dream of putting wolf in my Colt after witnessing a jam with it on the range. Took a hammer to get the bolt loose.
If you're buying factory loads, spend the few extra dollars for decent rounds.
AC, as others have said, a properly functioning AR will have no problems with steel case ammo.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #112

Default Nope there not junk

I saw your post and thought I may have some good input. Stags are not junk but do have there flaws. I own a stag arms upper receiver on a LMT defender 2000 lower I had the exact same problem. First for any AR platform your not going to want to use cheaper ammo or remanufactured ammo in less you manufactured it on your own. Then the quality control is up to you. My extractor actually pulled a remanufactured round in half once. Also with the wolf, I had the same exact problem you have to use brass fmj's. The wolf will get stuck in the barrel after it heats up. I prefer PMC I have had not problems with it. As for the upper its self there extractors arnt the best but believe me the rest is pretty quality stuff. My extractor would actually get the spent shell casing stuck in it and re load the spent round. So to fix this problem i recommend replacing the bolt. The bolt carrier is fine just the bolt. I now run a LMT enhanced bolt now. Its corm, extremely durable, light, and has two extractors on it. You can fire that thing as fast as possible and it will not fail you. Also stag uppers don't have M4 loading ramps for some reason. The loading ramps are what guide the round into the chamber they only have ramps in the chamber they don't go all the way to the mag. You can fix this by having reputable gun smith machine ramps onto the upper. I did all these steps and i now use my stag upper for 3 gun and have no complaints.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #113

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have had my stag for a couple of years now and its been reliable and faithful every time.. I love mine

image-2301801074.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #114

My wife recently purchased a new Stag AR. We took it to the range today and experienced a major FTF problem. I'm not sure if maybe its a short stroke or what's going on. I have read a lot of this thread and it appears that wolf ammo is a no go, maybe that was the problem. Anyways, she would fire a round, go to fire the second and *click*, she'd rack it and have to press the forward assist. After the round went off, the casing would eject and *click*...

I broke down the rifle and saw some wear on the buffer. Next I took apart the BCG and everything seemed in order. Keep in mind I'm not the all knowing gun guru by any stretch of the imagination, hence this plead for some sort of guidance. I plan on calling Stag Customer service to see what they can do for me.

Thanks,
ML13

Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #115

image-3330137545.jpg

image-1112282913.jpg

Some pictures of what I experienced. The problem occurred with and without ammunition.

Thanks,
ML13
image-4128401228.jpg  

Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #116

Stag is far from junk...

I was using Wolf in my Stag and had the same issue. I tried changing to Federal M855 5.56 and never had the issue again. I have since put over 2,000 rounds through it without a single issue.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #117
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default A little maint...

From what you describe, you may need to give her a good cleaning. Particularly in the chamber.Get out that chamber brush, and a good cleaning solution, and get real familiar with your rifle. It might take a while. After that, use a good Fire Arms Lubricant. That should take care of that....
Replacing the BCG might be a little extreme.
From then on, use quality ammo spelled BRASS ONLY!! I used to shoot PMC, and had no problems. Why did you switch? I currently use Mill-Surplus 62grain FMJSCBT M-855/SS109 blah blah,,,,.
Funny, but me, and just about every Stag owner, seems to get a broken brass early on, and never after that.....

Explanation:
Using some cheap or foreign ammo, who use varnish or lacquer for a rust inhibitor, works great in AK's. However in AR's/direct impingement gas systems, deposits slowly build up, and the hot gasses solidify the whole mess.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #118

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The Wolf/Tula, etc. is a NO-GO crap is just that, crap.

I use Tula 62grain HP almost exclusively and have for thousands of rounds. To top it off I rarely clean my ARs and have never used any sort of chamber brush on them.

I would never own a firearm that wouldn't cycle each and every kind of ammo on the market.

The ammo is proven to work and if it won't its a rifle problem not an ammo problem or operator error.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #119

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I agree with MJ, it's insane not to use low price steel case for practice/plinking since a properly timed and buffered AR with a normal barrel length should function fine with it. I bet a lot of ARs that have extraction problems with Wolf, etc. would function much better with a BCM extractor upgrade kit.

But even if you do have to clean your chamber after a session, how big a deal is that? I can go about 500 rounds of steel case before cleaning the chamber and many others, including MJ, go much longer. In order to save $15-20 every hundred rounds, that's acceptable to me.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #120

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I took the wife and kid to the range for the first time today, what a good time minus the cold front that rolled in dropping the temp 20 deg. in an hour. All we brought w/ us is Tula in .223 and Wolf 7.62x39 (finally got the converted Draco out).

Another flawless range trip.

Came home and transfered the firearms from their cases straight to the safe like every other trip.