Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Stag arms JUNK!??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/stag-arms-junk-5396/)

shrugod 07-06-2008 03:55 PM

Stag arms JUNK!???

bought one few days ago, a4 style. cleaned and oiled it. every single shell would stick in the barrel without ejecting and i had to go get a nice stiff rod to get them all out.
so i oiled the living sht out of it, and it worked for about a hundred rounds, and then bang, same issue. had to clean it, and dump it full of oil for it to work again. while this is going on, sometimes the thing has to be operated in bolt action, as the bolt wont go back all the way to get the next round. this happens about ten percent of the time. is stag junk, or did i just get a bad one?
is there a brand i can just to buy and clean and oil like a normal gun and have it function? at this point id rather have an sks

RL357Mag 07-06-2008 04:27 PM

Need more info.. What ammo are you using? Is the gun chambered for .223 or 5.56 x45? Stag (CMT) makes receivers and parts for the Military and others - they don't make junk from what I've heard...but if you are using cheap steel cased laquer coated ammo or trying to feed 5.56 ammo into a .223 chamber, you might have a problem. See the post entitled "5.56 or .223".

PS - Laquer-coated steel cased ammo is not good to use in the AR because the chamber temp. causes the laquer to melt and adhere to the chamber walls making extraction difficult if not impossible - this can cause broken or stuck cases requiring a broken case extractor.. steel cased ammo is fine for AK's and SKS's because they have relatively sloppy chambers.

shrugod 07-06-2008 04:54 PM

it is steel cased ammo (wolf). barrel is 556 nato. i had a colt years ago before it got banned in my state, and that thing never had a problem with the wolf stuff. i guess maybe i just got a bad one. im gonna take it to stag on wednesday (they are right around the corner).

G21.45 07-06-2008 05:10 PM

Slow down there, partner! Stag Arms doesn't make junk. Call the factory; talk to them and tell them what you are doing. There's a right answer and that new rifle will work.

Dillinger 07-06-2008 05:46 PM

+1 to RL and G21

Stag Arms ( CMT ) make upper and lower receivers for many, MANY modern firearms companies that sell "complete" weapons.

Get on the phone with the folks at the production house and tell them what you are doing, they will help you out.

As for wolf ammo - that wouldn't be my first choice to run through a brand new rifle. Come to think of it, it wouldn't be on my list at all...

JD

alsaqr 07-06-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

it is steel cased ammo (wolf).

Stag Arms guns are not junk. I own a fairly new left hand Stag Arms AR15. That gun has not had a malfunction in over 1,200 rounds. Never fired any steel cased Wolf ammo in it.

slowryde45 07-06-2008 07:03 PM

a few observations

First...call the Stag tech line and let them know what is going on. It could be a combination of things. As for the Wolf being the culprit, interesting that David Fortier, who writes for several gun mags and is quite a gun afficianado himself, often uses Wolf ammo in his gun reviews with no probs. Most of the Wolf available now is no longer lacquer coated, but polymer coated. Also if it was lacquer coated, you would have had to fire several rounds through the gun to heat the barrel up enough to melt the lacquer or polymer on any rounds. But that doesn't seem to be the case. So, another possibility is, a weak extractor spring, which is a common AR flaw. This is easily fixed by replacing the spring with a stronger spring, or one of the rubber donuts or D-rings that basically strengthens the extractor spring. And you might also be adding to the problem with OVER oiling, too.

Again, talk to their tech line first. True, you may have got a "bad" unit off the line. Highly doubtful, as Stag is very quality conscious, but even the best can have an off day or bad production run. But call them and I'm sure they will point you in the right direction to solve this.

Slo

Slickrick214 07-06-2008 08:03 PM

Stag Arms junk...no. The ammo your using is probably the problem. Its a laquer coated steel case its going to cause problems with exctracting when the laquer melts then re-hardens. Call Stag and see what they say also you might want to try new ammo.

G21.45 07-06-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowryde45 (Post 30603)
.... As for the Wolf being the culprit, interesting that David Fortier, who writes for several gun mags and is quite a gun afficianado himself, often uses Wolf ammo in his gun reviews with no probs.

:) Well, I don't know about anyone else, but, that resounding endorsement certainly sold me! From now on it's going to be nothing but Wolf ammo.

What? With gas well over $4.00 a gallon it's going to have to be Wolf ammo from now on. :p

Slickrick214 07-07-2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G21.45 (Post 30635)
:) Well, I don't know about anyone else, but, that resounding endorsement certainly sold me! From now on it's going to be nothing but Wolf ammo.

What? With gas well over $4.00 a gallon it's going to have to be Wolf ammo from now on. :p

Thats not going to cut it for me. What guns did he test the Wolf ammo in? He could test it in an Ak47 and it might work great then come out and say its great ammo. It doesn't mean its going to be great in AR 15's and other guns. (I'm not saying thats what he did though).