Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Stag Arms AR 15 Model 1 or Model 2??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/stag-arms-ar-15-model-1-model-2-a-25716/)

Steelersfan 04-06-2010 06:05 PM

Stag Arms AR 15 Model 1 or Model 2???

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so I have been reading about AR's and am now looking to buy. Price is a major factor and am seriously considering buying the STAG Arms model 1 A3 16 in.

I am trying to figure out the differnce between the Stag Arms AR15 Model 1 and the Model 2?? As far as I can tell it is only the sights?? Am I correct on this. It also looks like the Model 1 comes with a detahable carry handle and a flat to rail that would allow me to take off the carry handle and put on some optics if I wanted very easily? Am I correct about this??

Anyone have any opinions about the Stag Arms AR 15 Model 1?? I ave read some about the Model 2 and they have been good.

bkt 04-06-2010 06:08 PM

The Model 1 has the detachable handle with the integrated rear sight. The Model 2 is a flat-top with a flip-up rear sight. It's a matter of preference.

DonnyKC 04-09-2010 09:08 PM

If you plan to go with optics in future i would go with model 2. It already come with back up iron sights.

Steelersfan 04-10-2010 10:35 AM

I do plan on putting optic on the rifle after I have shot it with the iron sights for a while and figure out what I would want. Looks like on the MOdel 1 I can take that carry handle off and attach a riser and then put on the optics. Not sure what you mean by back up iron sights? Sorry for the stupid question is it just that I am new to this type of rifle.

RedWineKline 04-21-2010 06:04 AM

I prefer the flat top, the carrying handle just seems like an un-needed extra on a tactical weapon, also, when firing from prone I think it is a little more comfortable without the handle,

but it does add that classic AR look

The_Rican 04-21-2010 02:55 PM

Flat top

1 Attachment(s)
Me too! I actually went with a Stag upper 3H on mine. Here is the Stag model 3

Jrod 04-02-2011 07:42 AM

Stag Arms

I went with the Stag Arms model 3. I qualified on the M-16 and was initially looking for something close to specs.

Looks are deceiving. While a lot of names 'look' like the spec, you have to research their manufacturer's data. I was lazy, but I did find model 3 by Stag. A little underused name in most forums, this company is reliable and adheres to some of the tightest specs as most of their components are in-house. I've accessorized mine with Yankee Hill and Truglo as a 'plinker'. A couple days of research and minimal funds transformed my flat-top into a formidable weapon capable of battle-readiness for a minimal price.

Hold a lot of brands before you buy. It's your 1000$: make sure you're comfortable with it before you trust it.

Jrod

Quentin 04-02-2011 01:21 PM

If you're getting into the $1000 range take a look at BCM as well. And don't discount building your own - take a look at all the AR build threads here for ideas. This way you can choose every part that goes into your rifle.

jgand72 04-02-2011 09:21 PM

I just picked up a Stag Model 2 (My first AR!!!) the other day, and I really like the flip up sights. I plan on getting optics in the future, but for now the iron sights are great.

Bushman 04-04-2011 08:36 PM

I have a new (couple of months old) Stag 2T and it fit the bill for me, as I was going to put optics on it and I didn't want to have to buy back up iron sights (BUIS)
* BUIS are a good idea to have on your rifle should a person have their optic go down for some unknown reason. *
If you got the model 1 and put optics on it, you would have to spend the extra for a BUIS on the rear.
Plus the A.R.M.S. BUIS that comes on the Model 2 is great. IMO.