St-T2 in a commercial buffer tube??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

St-T2 in a commercial buffer tube???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I have the ST-T2 and JP Enhanced Spring in a BCM 16" middy with a BCM BCG. About 1k rounds through it with no issues but I've only used federal 5.56 and .223 so no low power ammo yet.

I really like the sound and feel of that buffer/spring in that rifle but haven't test other setups to see how it affect the cycling.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 03-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho
I have the ST-T2 and JP Enhanced Spring in a BCM 16" middy with a BCM BCG. About 1k rounds through it with no issues but I've only used federal 5.56 and .223 so no low power ammo yet.

I really like the sound and feel of that buffer/spring in that rifle but haven't test other setups to see how it affect the cycling.
To elaborate its quiet and smooth.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 03-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #13

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Every barrel will be different even from the same manufacturer . I have 2, 16" carbine barrels from the same manufacturer , same twist , same FSB, same everything
One rocks a 4.2oz buffer and cycles even the cheapest low powered ammo , the other chokes all over its self with anything over a 3.8 oz buffer shooting the same cheap ammo . So for a person to just throw stuff together without tuning small steps at a time is looking for problems , Really there is no need for a heavier / stiffer spring unless your so over gassed that you truly need it with a heavier buffer . There are many ways to tune and buffer weight is #1 , it will make or break a rifle on reliability . I pour my own weights for my buffers so its easy for me to throw one together to try out , Most any setup I know I can start around 3.4 oz and still be reliable as the factory carbine buffers are 3.0 oz . I always tell the new guys I shoot with , if it runs on the factory carbine buffer and isnt getting excessive impulse and or recoil leave it alone . Your just messing with disaster for a failure , especially cycling issues .
Who wants a weapon that wont run 100% ? especially when you may need it most
I wont keep a gun that wont run every ammo reliably , alot of friends are against steel cased ammo , you know they know everything and it wears out the $12 parts faster . Lemme tell ya for just going out and practicing drills and going thru 300-500 rds and I spend $219 per 1000 compared to their $370 @ 1000 rds of brass , I can buy a hell of alot of ejectors , extractors and springs with that $150 so dont let that take away from your fun . I will not keep a upper that steel cases hang up in ,and will not run everything reliably , Why ? because it better be able to run everything reliably that may be all thats available is what it may or may not run on

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 03-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #14

Liked 289 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Here is the two options I see in the matter: you can have a good quality gun and it will eat any ammo you feed it, or you can have a lesser quality gun and be forced to buy the more expensive stuff. I think the first option will be cheaper. But getting to the specifics of the matter, I still stand by my stance that you should stay with the same mfr. buttstock, buffer and spring combo unless you really know what you are doing. Havoc sounds like he has the knowledge to play with the buffer weights until he gets it just right, but the rest of us may not. If I were getting JP buffer parts, I would get the entire assembly from them.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I will post a real range report later but long story short about 500 rds later I can run one or the other but not both. Pretty much no recoil with the Miculek comp. and the combo I have chosen is the buffer that came with it and the jp xp spring. Timing is perfect. Ejection pattern is at 4 o'clock consistently. And besides the first about 8 rds short stroking a little bit I ran bout 500 rds thru it w/o a malfunction. Rifle shoots like a dream and eats any ammo I put thru it but it like 62 grain green tips the best which I get from work anyways so that works for me!

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rangers Lead The Way!