Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > SR-16 vs H&K 416

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SR-16 vs H&K 416

Title pretty much says it all. IIRC the SR-16 isn't used as much as the H&K 416 (if it is even used at all). Has anyone here handled both the 416 and the SR16 before? How do they compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

If your talking about the knights armament sr16. I would go with it over the hk any day simply because its not shoe horning a piston system into a design meant to be something else.

However... I went with a bravo company bfh midlength lightweight as it doesn't need a bunch of gadgets to get it to run. I hand built my lower using a cmc trigger pack and magpul acs-l stock. I get uber reliability without a bunch of gizmos that just aren't needed in a ar15.

For something more serious I run a scar17...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-01-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #3

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

I have to agree with JonM, I got a 16" BCM lightweight midlength upper the same week he did and also put it on a lower I built up. Excellent reliability and nice balance to boot.

It's smart not to ignore a lightweight DI AR as a baseline when comparing the Knights and HK.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #4

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 247

I don't believe in paying about 4 grand for alleged capabilities I am not going to use. There probably isn't anyone talking on these forums that has a likelihood of doing an amphibious assault on an adversary with rebreathers so they can poke their head out of the water to take a shot. If you want a piston gun with rails that badly, I will build you one, personally do the water torture test fire, and video tape it, and ship it to your LGS at about a third of the HK price,or less, and still make a profit. And the one I build you will be lighter. Barring that, I suggest you take heed to Jon and Quentin's advice. Knights Armament is one of the top brands. Some good deals are to be had for Colts if you look enough.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #5

Wow thanks for all of the replies! I've also done other research and it looks like the 416 is way too hyped up for what it is. But I just don't understand, why do special forces (ie navy seals) use the 416 over the sr-16? KAC definitely makes some of the finest rifles on the planet, so why was the 416 chosen over the sr16?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderklasse View Post
Wow thanks for all of the replies! I've also done other research and it looks like the 416 is way too hyped up for what it is. But I just don't understand, why do special forces (ie navy seals) use the 416 over the sr-16? KAC definitely makes some of the finest rifles on the planet, so why was the 416 chosen over the sr16?

Navy seal level type folks choose weapons based on mission needs. When it comes to a seal you can stick a revolutonary war brown bess in their hands and they will still acmplish the mission.

When you function on the level of a seal the weapon used is not that important in terms of the mission. Not all seals use the 416 some will others won't just depends.

I would suggest reading a book called american sniper by chris kyle. It gives a good look at the mindset of navy seals. Once your done with that the answer will be evident.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #7

Look, no one is saying the 416 can't walk the walk, but do you really need to spend 4 grand for whatever you plan to do with it? T

Old 04-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Look, no one is saying the 416 can't walk the walk, but do you really need to spend 4 grand for whatever you plan to do with it? T
Being able to own the actual millitary 416 would be a dream come true lol. I'm just asking about it that's all- I definitely have no plans to buy it, especially since I live behind the enemy lines in Kommiefornistan.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderklasse View Post
Being able to own the actual millitary 416 would be a dream come true lol. I'm just asking about it that's all- I definitely have no plans to buy it, especially since I live behind the enemy lines in Kommiefornistan.

Got it: I know the feeling of having something no one else at the range has. I personally prefer my own builds anyway. A local PD has some Vietnam era M16's they are wanting to get converted to something resembling a 416, and I have been trying to convince them I can do it cheaper and better (and let me have the retro parts of course ).

Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Got it: I know the feeling of having something no one else at the range has. I personally prefer my own builds anyway. A local PD has some Vietnam era M16's they are wanting to get converted to something resembling a 416, and I have been trying to convince them I can do it cheaper and better (and let me have the retro parts of course ).
That's easy. Bcm chf midlength lightweight upper handguard of choice midwest lightweight keymod is what I would use, magpul mbus polymer backup sights, bcm bcg, bcm medium gunfighter charging handles, milspec carbine buffer tube, carbine recoil spring and buffer, magpul acs-l stocks, magpul triggerguards for easy glove use, giesselle trigger kits they make fa triggers, blueforce slings, optics of choice, accessories of choice.