Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > To Split or not to Split

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Now, Polyman I don't really care for the NFA trigger. Do you like them? I'm pondering if just doing the JP spring kit will help it, or if it all needs be replaced.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Well my questions were answered for me tonight. I listed my DPMS rifle (no sights) with the 2 factory mags, 2 aftermarket poly 30 round mags, and 100 rounds of ammo and it sold within 1 hour of the post. I got asking price no questions asked. Picking it up tomorrow
Well that's good news! That DPMS upper/barrel/BCG really is crap compared to the Spikes and now I can say it since you've sold it. Bittersweet for now though because your only 7075 lower also is leaving your armory. No big deal since down the road you can get a better rollmark when the craziness subsides.

As far as the 1/7 vs. 1/9 argument, it really matters little for 90% of the ammo most of us shoot - 55-62gr. What matters to you is will you likely be going higher or lower for the rest of your shooting. I go higher so I recommend 1/7. I see the Spikes a a no-brainier keeper.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-14-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #43

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Now, Polyman I don't really care for the NFA trigger. Do you like them? I'm pondering if just doing the JP spring kit will help it, or if it all needs be replaced.
Yea, I like the feel of the poly trigger. Mine are very crisp and the poly has a warm feel to me, nice and smooth around the corners. Is yours sloppy? You might have a bad one. The acuset (I believe I spelled it right.) Trigger has never given me any trouble. All my lowers still have the original trigger group. What is yours doing? Is it not working correctly or do you just not care for it? To tell you the truth my first plumcrazy trigger really freaked me out. I didnt expect it to last. I cant feel any difference in the pressure it takes to pull so far. You may have a bad one, Im really curious, is yours too stiff or not working properly? What is it you don't care for?

Last edited by polyman69; 02-14-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
Yea, I like the feel of the poly trigger. Mine are very crisp and the poly has a warm feel to me, nice and smooth around the corners. Is yours sloppy? You might have a bad one. The acuset (I believe I spelled it right.) Trigger has never given me any trouble. All my lowers still have the original trigger group. What is yours doing? Is it not working correctly or do you just not care for it? To tell you the truth my first plumcrazy trigger really freaked me out. I didnt expect it to last. I cant feel any difference in the pressure it takes to pull so far. You may have a bad one, Im really curious, is yours too stiff or not working properly? What is it you don't care for?
Well I had the JP yellow reduced power springs in my DPMS. It made it 3.5-4 lbs pull. I feel like I'm pulling 10 lbs on this NFA trigger, and quite frankly I couldn't get accustomed to it. I really don't know when it's going to break, and it seems like the break point varies. I ordered the spring kit to reduced the pressure, I'll see if that cleans it up. If not, I'll consider a different trigger altogether.

And Quentin, I knew you'd say that. But when I got asking price that fast, I was happy to part with it. I was a bit sad, it having been my first AR platform rifle, but honestly with only a trigger spring and quad rail as mods, I don't think I'll miss it to much. Making a bit on it will allow me to keep and play with that Spikes now.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #45

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:

Well I had the JP yellow reduced power springs in my DPMS. It made it 3.5-4 lbs pull. I feel like I'm pulling 10 lbs on this NFA trigger, and quite frankly I couldn't get accustomed to it. I really don't know when it's going to break, and it seems like the break point varies. I ordered the spring kit to reduced the pressure, I'll see if that cleans it up. If not, I'll consider a different trigger altogether.

And Quentin, I knew you'd say that. But when I got asking price that fast, I was happy to part with it. I was a bit sad, it having been my first AR platform rifle, but honestly with only a trigger spring and quad rail as mods, I don't think I'll miss it to much. Making a bit on it will allow me to keep and play with that Spikes now.
Let me know if the spring works for you

Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #46

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Well my questions were answered for me tonight. I listed my DPMS rifle (no sights) with the 2 factory mags, 2 aftermarket poly 30 round mags, and 100 rounds of ammo and it sold within 1 hour of the post. I got asking price no questions asked. Picking it up tomorrow
Where did you list it?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #47

I put it on armslist.com in the Atlanta section. A Sgt in the US Army purchased it from me. He was a really nice guy. Was in linguistics.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #48

Quote:
I put it on armslist.com in the Atlanta section. A Sgt in the US Army purchased it from me. He was a really nice guy. Was in linguistics.
Never used armslist but im trying it out, see if it works for me

Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #49

I will say, that many of the listings are "unrealistic" at best. At $1200 mine was just about the lowest priced listing in the area. The guy drove 2 hours from Augusta to North Atlanta to pick it up. I mean, there are guys asking $1400 for all the "parts to assemble" an AR in a package for the DIYer. I actually have a conscience.

To give you an idea how stupid some of the listings are, check this one:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1067602/atlanta-georgia-rifles-for-sale--dpms-ar-15-bnib-with-full-tac-gear-upgrades---ammo--can-take-credit-cards

Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #50

Quote:
I will say, that many of the listings are "unrealistic" at best. At $1200 mine was just about the lowest priced listing in the area. The guy drove 2 hours from Augusta to North Atlanta to pick it up. I mean, there are guys asking $1400 for all the "parts to assemble" an AR in a package for the DIYer. I actually have a conscience.

To give you an idea how stupid some of the listings are, check this one:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1067602/atlanta-georgia-rifles-for-sale--dpms-ar-15-bnib-with-full-tac-gear-upgrades---ammo--can-take-credit-cards
That entire listing is garbage