Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > To Split or not to Split

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Now, Polyman I don't really care for the NFA trigger. Do you like them? I'm pondering if just doing the JP spring kit will help it, or if it all needs be replaced.

__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,239
Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Well my questions were answered for me tonight. I listed my DPMS rifle (no sights) with the 2 factory mags, 2 aftermarket poly 30 round mags, and 100 rounds of ammo and it sold within 1 hour of the post. I got asking price no questions asked. Picking it up tomorrow
Well that's good news! That DPMS upper/barrel/BCG really is crap compared to the Spikes and now I can say it since you've sold it. Bittersweet for now though because your only 7075 lower also is leaving your armory. No big deal since down the road you can get a better rollmark when the craziness subsides.

As far as the 1/7 vs. 1/9 argument, it really matters little for 90% of the ammo most of us shoot - 55-62gr. What matters to you is will you likely be going higher or lower for the rest of your shooting. I go higher so I recommend 1/7. I see the Spikes a a no-brainier keeper.
__________________

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek


Last edited by Quentin; 02-14-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Andrews In.
Posts: 46
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Now, Polyman I don't really care for the NFA trigger. Do you like them? I'm pondering if just doing the JP spring kit will help it, or if it all needs be replaced.
Yea, I like the feel of the poly trigger. Mine are very crisp and the poly has a warm feel to me, nice and smooth around the corners. Is yours sloppy? You might have a bad one. The acuset (I believe I spelled it right.) Trigger has never given me any trouble. All my lowers still have the original trigger group. What is yours doing? Is it not working correctly or do you just not care for it? To tell you the truth my first plumcrazy trigger really freaked me out. I didnt expect it to last. I cant feel any difference in the pressure it takes to pull so far. You may have a bad one, Im really curious, is yours too stiff or not working properly? What is it you don't care for?
__________________

Last edited by polyman69; 02-14-2013 at 11:39 AM.
polyman69 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
Yea, I like the feel of the poly trigger. Mine are very crisp and the poly has a warm feel to me, nice and smooth around the corners. Is yours sloppy? You might have a bad one. The acuset (I believe I spelled it right.) Trigger has never given me any trouble. All my lowers still have the original trigger group. What is yours doing? Is it not working correctly or do you just not care for it? To tell you the truth my first plumcrazy trigger really freaked me out. I didnt expect it to last. I cant feel any difference in the pressure it takes to pull so far. You may have a bad one, Im really curious, is yours too stiff or not working properly? What is it you don't care for?
Well I had the JP yellow reduced power springs in my DPMS. It made it 3.5-4 lbs pull. I feel like I'm pulling 10 lbs on this NFA trigger, and quite frankly I couldn't get accustomed to it. I really don't know when it's going to break, and it seems like the break point varies. I ordered the spring kit to reduced the pressure, I'll see if that cleans it up. If not, I'll consider a different trigger altogether.

And Quentin, I knew you'd say that. But when I got asking price that fast, I was happy to part with it. I was a bit sad, it having been my first AR platform rifle, but honestly with only a trigger spring and quad rail as mods, I don't think I'll miss it to much. Making a bit on it will allow me to keep and play with that Spikes now.
__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Andrews In.
Posts: 46
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post

Well I had the JP yellow reduced power springs in my DPMS. It made it 3.5-4 lbs pull. I feel like I'm pulling 10 lbs on this NFA trigger, and quite frankly I couldn't get accustomed to it. I really don't know when it's going to break, and it seems like the break point varies. I ordered the spring kit to reduced the pressure, I'll see if that cleans it up. If not, I'll consider a different trigger altogether.

And Quentin, I knew you'd say that. But when I got asking price that fast, I was happy to part with it. I was a bit sad, it having been my first AR platform rifle, but honestly with only a trigger spring and quad rail as mods, I don't think I'll miss it to much. Making a bit on it will allow me to keep and play with that Spikes now.
Let me know if the spring works for you
__________________
polyman69 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 836
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Well my questions were answered for me tonight. I listed my DPMS rifle (no sights) with the 2 factory mags, 2 aftermarket poly 30 round mags, and 100 rounds of ammo and it sold within 1 hour of the post. I got asking price no questions asked. Picking it up tomorrow
Where did you list it?
__________________
bige91603 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

I put it on armslist.com in the Atlanta section. A Sgt in the US Army purchased it from me. He was a really nice guy. Was in linguistics.

__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 836
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I put it on armslist.com in the Atlanta section. A Sgt in the US Army purchased it from me. He was a really nice guy. Was in linguistics.
Never used armslist but im trying it out, see if it works for me
__________________
bige91603 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

I will say, that many of the listings are "unrealistic" at best. At $1200 mine was just about the lowest priced listing in the area. The guy drove 2 hours from Augusta to North Atlanta to pick it up. I mean, there are guys asking $1400 for all the "parts to assemble" an AR in a package for the DIYer. I actually have a conscience.

To give you an idea how stupid some of the listings are, check this one:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1067602/atlanta-georgia-rifles-for-sale--dpms-ar-15-bnib-with-full-tac-gear-upgrades---ammo--can-take-credit-cards

__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 836
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I will say, that many of the listings are "unrealistic" at best. At $1200 mine was just about the lowest priced listing in the area. The guy drove 2 hours from Augusta to North Atlanta to pick it up. I mean, there are guys asking $1400 for all the "parts to assemble" an AR in a package for the DIYer. I actually have a conscience.

To give you an idea how stupid some of the listings are, check this one:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1067602/atlanta-georgia-rifles-for-sale--dpms-ar-15-bnib-with-full-tac-gear-upgrades---ammo--can-take-credit-cards
That entire listing is garbage
__________________
bige91603 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever split a bullet? 00possum General Rifle Discussion 3 07-19-2012 05:15 AM
Split Rock Matthew161 Pennsylvania Gun Forum 5 07-02-2012 11:24 AM
Split Lower Flint Rock AR-15 Discussion 54 10-07-2010 05:11 PM
Love couple split. NOT Brad & Angelina canebrake Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 01-25-2010 10:40 AM
remington subsonic split casing? p5200 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 3 06-29-2008 09:53 PM