Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > To Split or not to Split

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Thoughts?

What ammo? What distance? 1/7" vs. 1/9" twist favors heavier grains.

Nice looking upper... Using a darker background would improve your pictures.

Have you tried the Spikes on the 7075 lower yet? You'll have to admit it'll look way better!
Ammo tonight was 10 rounds of Winchester UMC 55gr. The rest was Phase Line 55gr. Distance is the range max, 85 feet. 1/7 twist I believe.
Here are the spikes listed specs
New Spike Tactical 16" M4 LE .223/5.56x45 caliber. Complete Upper Reciever assembly for AR15/M16type Rifle. Barrel is certified MIL-B-11595E CMV. This is a COMPLETE Upper reciever assembly, everything except a rear sight, and includes Magpul MOE heat shield lined handguards. HP/MP Tested Bolt & Barrel.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 919 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 895

Yeah the Spikes is 1/7 but the DPMS is 1/9. Anyway, lots of reasons one would shoot better on a given day with a given ammo. Just will need more range days but I'd lean toward all that Spikes goodness you pasted in your post. Better barrel, BCG, more pride in their product.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

Keep in mind these are battle rifles they are not precision rifles . They are made to hit minute of man at a great distance not dime sized groups at 100 yards

Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah the Spikes is 1/7 but the DPMS is 1/9. Anyway, lots of reasons one would shoot better on a given day with a given ammo. Just will need more range days but I'd lean toward all that Spikes goodness you pasted in your post. Better barrel, BCG, more pride in their product.
The one difference I was wondering about was the 1/7 vs the 1/9. In the past with the DPMS I have fired the Phase Line ammo. I only have about 40 rounds of it left now though. Afterwards, I'll be shooting either PMC bronze or Federal XM193. There again, it may be a while, as I've started to put a dent in my personal supply stocks, and since ammo supply is still scarce I can't go shooting to much. I did find one thing, and that was I don't much care for the IMI mags I have. They function fine during use, but the first round tended to be a little difficult to chamber. Of course it could be that the Spikes is still tight, unworn but the Magpul mags works flawlessly. Also, I don't like the NFA trigger. I have the JP reduced power springs in my DPMS. I'll be ordering them for the NFA.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #35

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

1 in 7 is more aggressive (1 turn every 7 inches) and stabilizes the heavier slugs much better than the 1/9. However the 1/9 is better for the lighter slugs. There are numerous sites that explain the math but that is the sum of it.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
1 in 7 is more aggressive (1 turn every 7 inches) and stabilizes the heavier slugs much better than the 1/9. However the 1/9 is better for the lighter slugs. There are numerous sites that explain the math but that is the sum of it.
Aye I knew that much, was just really wondering if there was more to the physics of it. Probably overthinking it all because I shot subpar last night.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #37

Everybody has a bad day, I wouldn't put much into it. I had the question years ago concerning 1/7 and 1/9 and I ran across an awesome article that had all the science explained. I have tried for years to find it again and all though I all ways find about a million results I cant find the one I want. Man I wish I could remember the author.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
Everybody has a bad day, I wouldn't put much into it. I had the question years ago concerning 1/7 and 1/9 and I ran across an awesome article that had all the science explained. I have tried for years to find it again and all though I all ways find about a million results I cant find the one I want. Man I wish I could remember the author.
I know that feeling. I've found many a great articles over the years and failed to bookmark them and then never again found them. You'd think i'd learn after a while.......

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #39

Well my questions were answered for me tonight. I listed my DPMS rifle (no sights) with the 2 factory mags, 2 aftermarket poly 30 round mags, and 100 rounds of ammo and it sold within 1 hour of the post. I got asking price no questions asked. Picking it up tomorrow

Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Well my questions were answered for me tonight. I listed my DPMS rifle (no sights) with the 2 factory mags, 2 aftermarket poly 30 round mags, and 100 rounds of ammo and it sold within 1 hour of the post. I got asking price no questions asked. Picking it up tomorrow
Hell yea! That's the way it's done. I've said it before I'll say it again, Obama...the best firearm salesman ever born. Good night all.