Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > To Split or not to Split

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I have a question so you use it offshore , in the bed of your truck and etc , what makes it better for that than a aluminum lower ? I mean a good mil spec Alum lower will have hard anodized coating which is pretty resistant to most things. Aluminum isnt going to rust , yes it might get dinged up if you beat it to death . Just confused thats all , not trying to start a argument
PH
Good question ,over the years some of the aluminum lowers Get a weird white crust on them anywhere they are scratched. Also unless you clean them alot the salt gathers on them and makes them sticky, I have tried covering them on oil but the heavy salt air just mixes with the oil and makes a sludge. Sometimes they stay under a bench on the boat, forgotten till you need them. I have also had them dropped on the deck in several inches of water and you can feel and hear the salt grinding when you clean them even after you rinse them. The polys rinse right off, clean. Remember friend, these guns aren't cared for very well, they're just work guns. Also the alum lowers start to pit every where they're scratched. I have alum lowers that are dented too from where they were stashed and things were pounded on them during rough seas.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #22

Man i never said alum was bad ,they just dont hold up to abuse as well . I dont dislike alum, i have 2 alum left. My nicest ar is a colt , but i would never take it offshore, it is in my safe. I take it out to show and I shoot it alot, fine ar.
Like i said , with my own eyes i have seen how both fare when treated like tools, the poly doesn't dent or scratch, salt sprays off and they don't Get sticky. With minimal care an aluminum lower would probably serve just as well.

Last edited by polyman69; 02-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #23

I appreciate a real question as opposed to a dig, thanks. I don't know why I have to keep defending poly lowers, maybe they should pay Me right?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I appreciate all of you debating the topic. Sorry for my absence, my dad had some surgery done on his meniscus this past week and I had to go babysit him over the weekend as my mom thought he might try and be a hardass and do something stupid. Well, I wasn't about to tell my father what he could and couldn't do, so I watched the golf tourney with him and he got up and roamed around most of the time. He bought my mom a Walther P22 for some range fun and I took mine over to tear them both down and check the parts on mine. The little end cap that screws onto the barrel on mine has just flat worn out. Now it won't tighten all the way and leaves 1/8th inch of play in the barrel. It still works without fail, but it's enough of a concern to me to not want to shoot it until I get that worked out.

On to the topic at hand. FedEx is slated to deliver the upper tomorrow. I've got a feeling I may well just try out every configuration possible just to check fittments, and take it all to the range. I've noticed that AR prices are starting to cool a bit as some inventory has filled the urge of many of the high priced buyers. Whereas in the past month any AR put up on consignment sold in a couple days at stupid prices, they are starting to sit and the prices are slowly trickling back down. I can still easily make a few bucks as I have little in either.

Any further debate is appreciated. And Quen, that little post you copied over was quite informative and helpful. I see all your points, and feel they are all valid in the discussion. I do also see Polyman's points. There can be pluses and minuses to all the parts depending on the situation that they are used in.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #25

Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I've got some oceanfront property in AZ, if I can't get Quentin to buy it you guys are welcome to have a bidding war...
Oh no, don't tell me the PlumCrazy plant is up for sale again! Lake Havasu will be oceanfront when CA and its 55 electoral votes slide away into the bottomless pit.

(Sorry, that quote was from the locked Thermolds for sale thread but was too good to pass up! Thought it fit well here...)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Oh no, don't tell me the PlumCrazy plant is up for sale again! Lake Havasu will be oceanfront when CA and its 55 electoral votes slide away into the bottomless pit.

(Sorry, that quote was from the locked Thermolds for sale thread but was too good to pass up! Thought it fit well here...)
Come on, you know you want it. I'll give you a stellar deal. No title or deed though, it's been lost over the years and many tenants.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

Will you kick in the London Bridge too?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #28

My FedEx man is like clockwork. The ground truck (for those who didn't or don't know, FedEx Ground and FedEx are operated like two different entities)
shows up between 9-10 am without fail. You could set your clock by this guy. Anyway, this morning he arrived at 9:27am much to my pleasure. And here is what arrived

Top shot with showing the spikes emblem

General full shot of the upper

The bolt with logo

And I popped it on the NFA lower to have a look see. It fit like a glove. The ATI .22 upper was kinda finicky to get on the NFA lower, but the Spikes just went on like butta! Now, I just have to go and give everything a good test. Of course, today would be the day I have to attend a Dept of Labor Reemployment class.......whatever I guess once a month to get a check isn't all that bad, it just had to be the same day the upper arrived

Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #29

OK. So I went to the range and put my optic on the Spikes. I had extremely high expectations after all I have read here. Perhaps it simply wasn't my night to hold a decent group. I was a bit, dissatisfied with my results. Again, it may well have been me tonight simply being unable to perform. I've not had any issues prior using my other AR, but anything is possible. Whereas I was consistently holding groups the size of a quarter previously, tonight I couldn't hold a half dollar. Here's a few examples....The first two are with the DPMS, the last is with the spikes. (granted, there are a couple flyers on the DPMS top two targets, however those are both 30 rounds whereas the Spikes target is less than 10.

So there are 4 red dots on the paper. The one to the far right is where I tried to shoot with both eyes open. I can see how you could train yourself to do this, however it's gonna take some practice on my part to get my eyes accustomed as such. The center and left dots are where I was attempting to hold center. The lower dot was where I just quickly fired off 30 rounds cause I was pissed off I couldn't hold a decent group. But my point it, with the same optic after zeroing, I couldn't hold the same group I could with my DPMS. Thoughts.....

Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #30

Thoughts?

What ammo? What distance? 1/7" vs. 1/9" twist favors heavier grains.

Nice looking upper... Using a darker background would improve your pictures.

Have you tried the Spikes on the 7075 lower yet? You'll have to admit it'll look way better!

______