To Split or not to Split - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > To Split or not to Split

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69 View Post
Friend I hope this helps, you hear tons of "professionals" preaching the crap factor of poly lowers, (all though glock,springfield and countless others would argue) but i own several ar models and 4 of them are the early plumcrazy models. These are my work guns, they have laid in salt water in my boat, spent the winter in the bed of my ford , had too many cheap russian metal cases hammered out to count and the only part of these guns that still looks and works like brand new is the poly lower. Dont listen to people who sell themselves as ar gods all though they have never used one . I have made my living offshore for many years and I'm telling from first hand experience gained over many years, you CANNOT TEAR THESE THINGS UP.
BTW.....not knocking personal preference, some dont like the feel of poly, fine. Just tired of guru's calling somthing junk with no real world experience.
Hope I didn't offend anyone.
On the contrary, you did wish to offend. I'm curious, why did plum crazy go out of business? And a few others that sold these lowers?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

No intent to offend, I have a habit of speaking to everyone like they were a friend and know me. To answer your question, plumcrazy didnt go out of business, they changed their name because of the multiple law enforcement and military contracts. Plumcrazy does not look good on a firearm in the hands of a highway patrol officer etc. All I was getting at was rather than jump on the AR purist elite band wagon, try one. If you are EVER in my neck of the woods drop me a line. I would be more than happy to turn you loose with one of mine for a day. Drop it, throw it, whatever, hell my boys have used them for bats when snakes get in the boat. Then shout your PERSONAL honest opinion. Just dont care for it, hate it, what ever.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #13

Guys, let Me start over. Life is too short to make enemies over such a small issue.
I like poly lowers.. Everyone who has used my rifles has ended up buying one as most all of my friends work and or live offshore. Those of you who have worked offshore know the lifestyle is about as rough on you and your equipment as it gets. Now I don't work for the poly lower establishment nor do I profit from their sales.
Having said that let me ask you guys a question, if you play baseball, passionate about the sport and you happened up on a new bat that increased your average would you not rush to tell all your friends? Thats all I was doing, some people hate poly and anyone who dares bring it up.
For the record I carry a 1911 Stainless, I dont care for glocks, just say'in.
Also I have unintentionally turned this thread in a different direction, My apologies. I should have said, keep the poly lowers, sell the others. The polys dont bring as much and are in My opinion as good or better. The extra money should come in handy for other parts you don't have.

Last edited by polyman69; 02-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

As long as you keep the Spikes Upper, the rest is up for debate. But the Spikes Upper will demolish the quality of the Oracle upper.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #15

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Keep the spikes upper with dpms lower, just my opinion

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #16

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Polyman69, I agree, no need to make enemies over this. We just disagree. I want a 7075-T6 receiver and you like polymer. To each his own. And that's the point, everyone here should make up their own mind. To me there have been too many questions with polymer AR receivers over the years so I'd never take a chance on one. I have fired a Carbon-15 that a buddy has quite a few times since 2008. It started out pretty good but has been hit or miss since. He lusts over my milspec builds and I've told him now is a good time to sell. Up to him of course.

Anyway I'll drop in this from another thread today. Glad you like them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
IIRC, there was a factory in Lake Havasu City, AZ around 2003 or so that made polymer lowers and complete ARs. Seems like their name was Progressive or something like that. They put out the Carbon-15 which soon acquired a bad reputation and they got in trouble finiancially. Bushmaster bought them out and took over the LHC plant and sold a new and improved Carbon-15 which soon after also got a lot of complaints. BM closed the LHC plant and moved C-15 manufacturing to their main Windham, ME factory. Of course last year they moved again to Ilion, NY and still sell the C-15 which may work now or may not. It seems hit or miss depending on who you talk to. So many questions...

A few years ago we hear of a company PlumCrazy which starts selling polymer lowers out of Lake Havasu City of all places. Hmmm??? What I remember about them initially was there were a bunch of rave reviews in all the gun rags (I remember an especially shameless shill review in Shotgun News a couple years ago). Then of course reports from folks who couldn't pass up a lower with LPK for $100+. Then what was really eyeopening was over time most of these folks quit bragging on their PlumCrazy and you'd even hear complaints here and there. Then they tried to change their name to PCF but soon after the company went bankrupt. Or did they? So many questions...

Then New Frontier/NFA of Las Vegas comes along and guess what - they're using the old PlumCrazy Lake Havasu City plant. They tout a Gen II model but who knows. Are they PlumCrazy rising like a Phoenix out of the ashes in the Arizona desert? So many questions...

There was really good company out of AZ called Cavalry Arms that sold an integrated lower/A1 stock. From all reports these things are strong but of course many folks want a collapsible stock. Cav Arms also went bankrupt but it was due to FFL violations not bad products. I understand a new company is selling the old Cav Arms lower now and it's quite good.

Bottom line, I think in normal times it's better to buy a milspec 7075-T6 lower and go from there. Right now times aren't normal so if desperate for a lower, maybe NFA is worth a try. And it seems to be an ideal lower for a .22lr upper. Otherwise, so many questions... That sums it up for me.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

GeneralPatton Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Polyman69, I agree, no need to make enemies over this. We just disagree. I want a 7075-T6 receiver and you like polymer. To each his own. And that's the point, everyone here should make up their own mind. To me there have been too many questions with polymer AR receivers over the years so I'd never take a chance on one. I have fired a Carbon-15 that a buddy has quite a few times since 2008. It started out pretty good but has been hit or miss since. He lusts over my milspec builds and I've told him now is a good time to sell. Up to him of course.

Anyway I'll drop in this from another thread today. Glad you like them, though.
Amen Brother,
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #18

Tell You something else, I'm dying to put a 6.8 upper on one of my poly lowers when the hype subsides I'm gonna do it, I'll be the first to let you guys know if it fails. I would feel like crap of someone got hurt using something I suggested.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #19

I don't expect any issues but there's only one way to find out huh?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #20

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have a question so you use it offshore , in the bed of your truck and etc , what makes it better for that than a aluminum lower ? I mean a good mil spec Alum lower will have hard anodized coating which is pretty resistant to most things. Aluminum isnt going to rust , yes it might get dinged up if you beat it to death . Just confused thats all , not trying to start a argument
PH