Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > To Split or not to Split

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default To Split or not to Split

So, even though I know I'll get a lot of biased answers, I figured I'd ask this openly. I have a DPMS. It's worked flawlessly since I got it. It's just the basic model, the Oracle I think is what the model is. Anyway, during this hysteria I sourced a couple of the NFA polymer lowers. In searching for an upper I managed to secure a Spikes complete upper with Magpul furniture that is being delivered next week. I am only building a second for sale at this point, I can't afford to keep both. My question to you guys is, should I put the Spikes on the NFA lower and sell it, or should I take the upper off my DPMS and put it on the NFA and sell it and keep the Spikes for my DPMS lower for personal use. I know it sounds complicated moving all this around, but I'm a relative newb to the AR platform and don't have any prior experience with Spikes or any other manufacturer for that matter. I just know I hear Spikes in about every conversation about high quality stuff.

So one of these ways

1) Put the Spikes on the NFA lower and sell it
2) Put my DPMS upper on the NFA lower and sell it, and keep the Spikes upper mounted on my DPMS lower.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

nothing from dpms is collectable so splitting it up is no biggee. the spikes upper depending on the parts used should be a big upgrade to the oracle upper. i would shoot the spikes upper to make sure it works properly before selling anything.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #3

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 700

I agree with JonM. The Spikes upper should be light years beyond the DPMS. And the DPMS lower is much better than polymer. Test them together and if all is well keep them and pass on the lesser stuff. Also think about the LPK (including trigger/hammer), RE (milspec instead of comspec?), buffer, stock, etc. I'd keep the better stuff. You could end up with a near milspec carbine, basically keep the baby and throw out the dirty bath water.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #4

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just to hear from another standpoint. Sell the complete dpms. You get a lot more money for a complete factory build, not a frankenbuild. Use the NFA lower for now. Buy and replace the NFA later. Or build one for a 80% lower in the near future. Make the NFA into a dedicated range gun, or 22lr.

GeneralPatton Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Just to hear from another standpoint. Sell the complete dpms. You get a lot more money for a complete factory build, not a frankenbuild. Use the NFA lower for now. Buy and replace the NFA later. Or build one for a 80% lower in the near future. Make the NFA into a dedicated range gun, or 22lr.
3 months ago i would totally agree. but right now its a seller's market and if you are going to offload a mismatched set now is the time. anything that even looks like a ar15 is selling immediately for far more than what the going rate used to be. its not going to last long because the rifle manufacturers are going full tilt.

strike while the iron is hot as they say.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

GeneralPatton Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Friend I hope this helps, you hear tons of "professionals" preaching the crap factor of poly lowers, (all though glock,springfield and countless others would argue) but i own several ar models and 4 of them are the early plumcrazy models. These are my work guns, they have laid in salt water in my boat, spent the winter in the bed of my ford , had too many cheap russian metal cases hammered out to count and the only part of these guns that still looks and works like brand new is the poly lower. Dont listen to people who sell themselves as ar gods all though they have never used one . I have made my living offshore for many years and I'm telling from first hand experience gained over many years, you CANNOT TEAR THESE THINGS UP.
BTW.....not knocking personal preference, some dont like the feel of poly, fine. Just tired of guru's calling somthing junk with no real world experience.
Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Dang, got way off topic...sorry... I sold 2 lowers because they brought more and kept my cmmg uppers and poly lowers. The poly lowers dont sell for as much and i have wrung them out and like them better.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

All Im going to say is dont expect to make a fortune off of it , The rage has slowed down and premium prices were 3-4 weeks ago . Dealers are starting to get them back in and I see RRA tacticals being offered for $1250 otd and MMC mil specs for $1050 out the door . Be careful and dont get a bunch of money wrapped up in one it it will bite you in the ass

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-08-2013 at 08:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I agree with JonM. The Spikes upper should be light years beyond the DPMS. And the DPMS lower is much better than polymer. Test them together and if all is well keep them and pass on the lesser stuff. Also think about the LPK (including trigger/hammer), RE (milspec instead of comspec?), buffer, stock, etc. I'd keep the better stuff. You could end up with a near milspec carbine, basically keep the baby and throw out the dirty bath water.
I tried to PM you earlier Quen. Your box is full, er it was at the time. That's kinda the thought train I had, except I've yet to see any real evidence of the polymer having any lacking qualities beyond peoples opinions. I've heard a couple folks say they had failures but the positives seem to have outweighed the negatives. I mean, even a good aluminum lower can fail. However, I have two of the NFA complete lowers so I have a backup if needed. I intend on keeping at least one of them, to at the least use for my .22 upper.

@Tikki I'm not ready to go through the 80% thing. I need a bit more experience on the platform before I go tinkering with that kinda stuff

@Jon and Havoc I've thought about that as well. It is definitely a sellers market right now, however I too am seeing the market begin to cool slightly and a lot of the outrageous prices have begun to trickle back down, though still high by most respects.

@polyman You and I have similar trains of thought. While many people seem to want to dam the poly right away, I have to look at it from all angles as I do everything in life. I see Glock being hugely successful in their endeavors and I think Polymer may have a bright future. That's the reason I have two of them, it gives me more options. The only thing i'm not wild about is the poly trigger components. And from what I've heard from those who've done it, apparently they aren't the most fun lowers to install an LPK into. I'd really like to see someone do a true realistic torture test to a few, not some random dumbass stick it in a press or toss it around the desert junk science tests.

At the end of the day, I only have $610 in the whole DPMS rifle so I know I can make some on it no problem. At the same time, the Spikes and the NFA i'd only have about $750 in. I'm not to deep in either to turn a profit. (and that's not even considering parting the spikes which would probably be quite profitable as well) I just want to end up making a little ground in what I have, as I'm always trying to increase quality and quantity of my toyz

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #10

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 700

GP, sorry I never get around to emptying out my PMs...

The Glock was designed around a polymer lower, the AR wasn't. I love the Glock and have three. I'll take 7075 receivers when it comes to the AR, even if the AR god says polymer passes salt water torture tests.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

locutus Likes This