Split Lower - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Split Lower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I need to see some pictures of this. Please keep us up to date as to how they handle it. Custome service is a BIG deal to me.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have called Bushmaster about the gun. The good news is I was told that it would be repaired under warranty. The bad news, it may be 1-2 months as they are in the process of moving some of their operations. Bushmaster is paying the Fed Ex charges for shipping, so there is no cost for me.
The first two pictires show the crack in the receiver, and the last pictures show some of the brass. The top row is the split cases, the bottom row is "just" bulging cases. The Bushmaster service rep didn't think the split cases and split receiver were related. I can't swallow that. The cases didn't use to split after firing. Now the receiver is split and the cases are splitting. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck,,,,,,,,, well, you get the idea.
http://
[IMG]
[/IMG]

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After looking at the pictures I have a theory. The buffer is not touching the back of the bolt, so there is no resistence to the rearward movement of the shell/bolt after firing. The recoil spring holds the bolt closed for a nano secound when the pressure is high, but without that spring pushing forward the shell can start moving rearward while the pressure is high. With that rearward movement the casing becomes unsupported and the case ruptures.
Just a theory, but I'll put a dollar on that theory.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, first off, super kudos to Bushmaster for offering full warranty service, even if it will be slightly delayed due to technical circumstances. Just the fact that they'll accept responsibility for a defect and not put it off on you is very heartening.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shipped my rifle back on 4/28/2010. Still no word on when my rifle will be ready.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #16

Is there a captured nut or threaded insert for the pistol grip bolt? I was wondering if over tightening the bolt may have compromised the integrity of the receiver in the area of the split? Let us know if you ever find out what the cause was.

I'd bet on your theory as to the ruptured cases as well.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Is there a captured nut or threaded insert for the pistol grip bolt? I was wondering if over tightening the bolt may have compromised the integrity of the receiver in the area of the split? Let us know if you ever find out what the cause was.

I'd bet on your theory as to the ruptured cases as well.
Most likely not. Overtightening of the pistol grip bolt will split/damage the pistol grip long before it will damage the aluminum of the receiver.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Most likely not. Overtightening of the pistol grip bolt will split/damage the pistol grip long before it will damage the aluminum of the receiver.
Not an aluminum reciever

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Not an aluminum reciever
Then yup, that would do it for sure. In fact, looking at the damage itself, that looks like exactly what happened.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #20

That's why I mentioned it...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-