Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Split Lower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Split Lower

So, there I was. I was planning on just blasting off some ammo. A single mag of 9mm through my Bushmaster Carbon 15. Some Winchester 115 FMJ and some Atlanta Arms 147 JHP. After I finished shooting I started picking up the brass. That's when I started noticing that there was a lot of split cases. 13 out of 30 split wide open. The other cases were badly bulging at the base. As I was looking at the cases I noticed something on the gun, something bad. The lower receiver had cracked from one side to the other, just behind where the grip attaches to the receiver. Tomorrow I will be calling Bushmaster. I'm thinking warranty, but somehow I bet they blame it all on me.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good luck with the warranty claim. I'm interested in what they do or don't do for you.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This is something that I have honest to God never seen.

PLEASE keep us informed of the process. If you could post some photos of the damage for future buyers, that would be a huge plus also.

Best of luck with Bushmaster!!

JD

Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, I agree with JD, please post some pictures. I would really like to see that damage.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

But at least this is a good testament to the Carbon 15. Spilt open and still working.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
But at least this is a good testament to the Carbon 15. Spilt open and still working.

Can't wait to see the pics.
I'm not so sure of that though. The whole "split open" part when no known incident other then normal firing could have caused it, is quite worrying in itself.

Look at it like this, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Winchester 115gr ammo that busted anything, but I don't know anything about how hot Atlanta Arms rounds are. It could be nothing to do with firing at all and was some hidden manufacturing flaw that came to the surface, or it could have everything to do with the ammo used, or somewhere in the middle of the two even. As it is, I'll be following this thread closely as well to find out how it turns out.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ouch!

Photos please and report on how Bushy responds.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
I'm not so sure of that though. The whole "split open" part when no known incident other then normal firing could have caused it, is quite worrying in itself.

Look at it like this, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Winchester 115gr ammo that busted anything, but I don't know anything about how hot Atlanta Arms rounds are. It could be nothing to do with firing at all and was some hidden manufacturing flaw that came to the surface, or it could have everything to do with the ammo used, or somewhere in the middle of the two even. As it is, I'll be following this thread closely as well to find out how it turns out.
Yeah, I know. Just trying to remain upbeat.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Yeah, I know. Just trying to remain upbeat.
Upbeat is good!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree, it'd be nice to see the damage.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."