Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Split Lower (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/split-lower-26388/)

Flint Rock 04-23-2010 02:20 AM

Split Lower

So, there I was. I was planning on just blasting off some ammo. A single mag of 9mm through my Bushmaster Carbon 15. Some Winchester 115 FMJ and some Atlanta Arms 147 JHP. After I finished shooting I started picking up the brass. That's when I started noticing that there was a lot of split cases. 13 out of 30 split wide open. The other cases were badly bulging at the base. As I was looking at the cases I noticed something on the gun, something bad. The lower receiver had cracked from one side to the other, just behind where the grip attaches to the receiver. Tomorrow I will be calling Bushmaster. I'm thinking warranty, but somehow I bet they blame it all on me.

dunerunner 04-23-2010 02:22 AM

Good luck with the warranty claim. I'm interested in what they do or don't do for you.

Dillinger 04-23-2010 03:08 AM

This is something that I have honest to God never seen. :eek:

PLEASE keep us informed of the process. If you could post some photos of the damage for future buyers, that would be a huge plus also.

Best of luck with Bushmaster!!

JD

Dzscubie 04-23-2010 03:13 AM

Wow, I agree with JD, please post some pictures. I would really like to see that damage.

M14sRock 04-23-2010 04:17 AM

But at least this is a good testament to the Carbon 15. Spilt open and still working.

Can't wait to see the pics.

moshpit 04-23-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 274736)
But at least this is a good testament to the Carbon 15. Spilt open and still working.

Can't wait to see the pics.

I'm not so sure of that though. The whole "split open" part when no known incident other then normal firing could have caused it, is quite worrying in itself.

Look at it like this, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Winchester 115gr ammo that busted anything, but I don't know anything about how hot Atlanta Arms rounds are. It could be nothing to do with firing at all and was some hidden manufacturing flaw that came to the surface, or it could have everything to do with the ammo used, or somewhere in the middle of the two even. As it is, I'll be following this thread closely as well to find out how it turns out.

canebrake 04-23-2010 04:58 AM

Ouch!

Photos please and report on how Bushy responds.

M14sRock 04-23-2010 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 274738)
I'm not so sure of that though. The whole "split open" part when no known incident other then normal firing could have caused it, is quite worrying in itself.

Look at it like this, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Winchester 115gr ammo that busted anything, but I don't know anything about how hot Atlanta Arms rounds are. It could be nothing to do with firing at all and was some hidden manufacturing flaw that came to the surface, or it could have everything to do with the ammo used, or somewhere in the middle of the two even. As it is, I'll be following this thread closely as well to find out how it turns out.

Yeah, I know. Just trying to remain upbeat.

moshpit 04-23-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 274751)
Yeah, I know. Just trying to remain upbeat.

Upbeat is good!

Westy 04-23-2010 11:46 AM

I agree, it'd be nice to see the damage.