Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Spikes tactical vs Daniel Defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/spikes-tactical-vs-daniel-defense-98407/)

Project413 10-09-2013 05:03 PM

Spikes tactical vs Daniel Defense

Okay so I'm looking for another ar15 and I've been wanting to a one with a free floating barrel. The two I've Ben looking at was the Spikes tactical and the Daniel Defense. What do you guys think??

mountainman13 10-09-2013 05:37 PM

Both good rifles.
Welcome to FTF.

AgentTikki 10-09-2013 06:35 PM

Daniel Defense is a small step above Spikes. In my personal experience (and the general internet concessions usualy agrees), Spikes tends to over gas their systems. Spikes is usually a bit cheaper than DD tho.

I'd choose DD personally.

Care to tell us what your budget and intend usage is?

purehavoc 10-09-2013 08:29 PM

Either of the 2 will be fine rifles . The only thing I dont like that I have noticed in the DD rifles is the piss poor trigger . Im not sure this is the same one that comes in their LPKs, but if it is I would choose the Spikes over the DD just for the smoother trigger .

BlackJack 10-09-2013 08:44 PM

Why not just stick a free float rail on your current ar? You said "another", so you want to buy a whole new rifle, just so you can get a free floating barrel? Seems counter-intuitive. Personaly I would put a free float on a rifle regardless of what is currently on it. If the problem is you have a pinned front sight, there are a few manufacturers that make drop in free float. Vltor and A.R.M.S. are a couple that come to mind. Their systems aren't cheap, but its still much less money than a whole new rifle, especially a spikes or DD. You can remove the pinned front sight, I've done it with minimal tools, but there is no way i'd do it again.

Btw I built my own ar and couldn't decide what manufactuer to choose. So the lower is mostly spikes and the upper is a DD barrel and reciever. Definately 2 of the best manufacturers. Can't go wrong

AgentTikki 10-09-2013 10:02 PM

Check out the AR picture thread.

Then build your self one. I think the Noveske NSR and Fortis REV free floating tubes are dem seksi.

Don't worry, you got back up, we're here to help you.

rockman 10-10-2013 02:13 AM

Not exactly what you were asking about, but I could not be any happier with my Spike's ST-15 mid length I recently purchased. Fit, finish, and function are superb and IMO an excellent value at $799 delivered (AIM Surplus).

sweeper22 10-12-2013 08:16 AM

Both are good. DD will generally cost a few hundred more, is 'cooler'/more respected (translation: resale value), and will come equipped with an outstanding $300+ handguard.

Daniel Defense and Spikes actually make similarly equipped and priced rifles, if you simply adjust for the handguard that will come on the DD. And their HGs are outstanding.

For resale/demand/coolness, I'd rather have DD on the side of my rifle. But that doesn't mean it's functionally better. Beyond the name and the handguard, the remaining specs and quality are in the same class IMO.

okdonk 10-13-2013 08:40 PM

Can't go wrong with either one. I'd go with Spike's if my budget is tight. Buy once cry once and follow your heart which one you like most.