Spike's Tactical lowers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Spike's Tactical lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
A lower is either on the list or it's not. What you build it into doesn't affect whether or not it is on the list. Remember that the lower is the only part that is "registered" as a firearm.

I'd refer you to this flowchart put together by the fine folks at Calguns which will help you understand whether what you are planning to do conforms to the crazy CA laws. You can certainly build a legal California rifle with any lower made by Kaiser Defense, including the Calguns versions. The company didn't exist when they put the list together, so they are not on there at all. You either need to equip it with a bullet button so it doesn't fit the definition of having a removable magazine, or you need to avoid all the so-called evil features such as a collapsible stock, pistol grips, flash hider, etc. The flowchart lays it all out for you.
Good to know. The state purposely makes laws confusing just to scare people away from doing legal things by making them sound illegal.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The state purposely makes laws confusing just to scare people away from doing legal things by making them sound illegal.
You've got that right!

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Anyone have any experience with Spike's Tactical? They're 'off list' for Cali in all configurations and run about $120 a piece. They're forged aluminum, mil spec pieces.
Matt,

I have built on a couple Spike's lowers with no problems. Fit and finish were good and matched up well with a CMT flat top upper and a Stag upper that I used for those builds. To date, no issues with either.

About the only negative I've heard about them is, they had their prices jacked up right after the election last year, and seemingly kept them up afterwards while others lowered theirs. But hey, no harm in capitalism...right?

But hey, they do have some pretty cool roll marks, and I've heard they'll do custom ones, too

Slo