Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Spike's Tactical lowers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Spike's Tactical lowers

Anyone have any experience with Spike's Tactical? They're 'off list' for Cali in all configurations and run about $120 a piece. They're forged aluminum, mil spec pieces.

__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Somebody in one of the thousands of AR threads was asking about them, then they did purchase a lower - but I don't remember ever seeing the finished build.

Seems to me it was a decent lower and they came with some sort of custom outside etching, like a zombie or something like that.

It's been awhile though - and there have been millions of AR questions that have been asked.

You still kicking the build idea around?

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jo da Plumbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,754
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Even if you don't build now it's good to have the lower on a shelf.

I built off a DoubleStar, works great.

__________________
Jo da Plumbr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

Spikes Tactical is like 30 mins from my house. My cousin got a lower from there a few weeks back, but I haven't seen it yet and he doesn't have an upper yet so I couldn't even ask him how he likes it as he doesn't know much about ARs. Maybe I'll head over to his house later and take a look at it.

-Fred

__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Somebody in one of the thousands of AR threads was asking about them, then they did purchase a lower - but I don't remember ever seeing the finished build.

Seems to me it was a decent lower and they came with some sort of custom outside etching, like a zombie or something like that.

It's been awhile though - and there have been millions of AR questions that have been asked.

You still kicking the build idea around?
I'd like to have all 4 family members covered in case the zombies ever show up. An M4gery would be a gun that each kid could start shooting early and grow into. I'd like to pick up a couple of receivers with that intent in mind and add junk as money allows.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cnynrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
Default

Can't speak for Spikes lowers, but I have one of their uppers. It's a well made piece.

matt g, it you are interested in something a little unique you might consider one of these Calguns lowers:



or



Perhaps not the cheapest lower you can get nowadays (list price is $179), but 20 bucks of the price supports a good cause, and there something I like about a lower made in CA and sporting official CA state markings. Note also that the serial numbers are OLL-XXXX.

__________________
Dave

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Cnynrat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Can't speak for Spikes lowers, but I have one of their uppers. It's a well made piece.

matt g, it you are interested in something a little unique you might consider one of these Calguns lowers:



or



Perhaps not the cheapest lower you can get nowadays (list price is $179), but 20 bucks of the price supports a good cause, and there something I like about a lower made in CA and sporting official CA state markings. Note also that the serial numbers are OLL-XXXX.
I do like the Bear Flag insignia on them, but IIRC, there are build restrictions on them.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cnynrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I do like the Bear Flag insignia on them, but IIRC, there are build restrictions on them.
I prefer the bear flag version also - I have one in my safe waiting for inspiration and money for my next build.

Not sure what you mean by build restrictions - haven't heard anything about that.
__________________
Dave

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Cnynrat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I prefer the bear flag version also - I have one in my safe waiting for inspiration and money for my next build.

Not sure what you mean by build restrictions - haven't heard anything about that.
Even if a lower is 'off list,' its usually only 'off list' in certain configurations. I'm looking for something that I can use to build M4geries with. I'd like to have collapsible stocks and 16" barrels. I'll gladly put Bullet Buttons an them, but I'll also keep standard mag releases with them for 'out of state' use.
__________________

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cnynrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Even if a lower is 'off list,' its usually only 'off list' in certain configurations. I'm looking for something that I can use to build M4geries with. I'd like to have collapsible stocks and 16" barrels. I'll gladly put Bullet Buttons an them, but I'll also keep standard mag releases with them for 'out of state' use.
A lower is either on the list or it's not. What you build it into doesn't affect whether or not it is on the list. Remember that the lower is the only part that is "registered" as a firearm.

I'd refer you to this flowchart put together by the fine folks at Calguns which will help you understand whether what you are planning to do conforms to the crazy CA laws. You can certainly build a legal California rifle with any lower made by Kaiser Defense, including the Calguns versions. The company didn't exist when they put the list together, so they are not on there at all. You either need to equip it with a bullet button so it doesn't fit the definition of having a removable magazine, or you need to avoid all the so-called evil features such as a collapsible stock, pistol grips, flash hider, etc. The flowchart lays it all out for you.
__________________
Dave

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Cnynrat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Spike's FTF Fall Lineup Benning Boy The Club House 137 05-04-2010 06:36 PM
Practice w/ the Spike's Tactical and the AR.. ccd8541 AR-15 Discussion 2 07-17-2009 04:42 PM
Spike's Tactical .22 upper ccd8541 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 7 07-17-2009 04:28 PM
Del-Ton AR-15 Lowers doggone06 Sponsor Display 4 04-20-2009 04:07 AM
lowers? Hot Sauce NARC AR-15 Discussion 14 01-26-2009 10:33 PM



Newest Threads