Southern Minnesota Slug/Pistol Deer Hunting Advice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Southern Minnesota Slug/Pistol Deer Hunting Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Southern Minnesota Slug/Pistol Deer Hunting Advice

I am interested in building an AR10 pistol for Deer hunting in Southern Minnesota, what do I need to watch out for?

Been reading online and people are saying something like register as pistol and you can convert to rifle but not other way around. What does this mean? How does anyone know what you built? All you have to register is the receiver so what does the rest matter?

Are there any requirements/restrictions for barrel length?

Thanks for the help
Baron

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10979 Times on 4756 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

I moved your post over to the AR section- you had posted in the area that deals with software for the website.

With ANY rifle caliber handgun- the shorter the barrel, the less the velocity, the more impressive the noise and muzzle flash. Eventually you could get to the point that a jagged rock would be more effective.

As far as the pistol-rifle-pistol thing- You will need to start with a virgin AR-10 frame, or one marked pistol. An AR-15 frame is not going to work, of course. If you start with an AR-10 RIFLE, remove stock, shorten barrel below 16 inches, etc- then you have manufactured a short barreled rifle. which needs approval from the ATF and payment of a tax BEFORE you build it.

If you start with a pistol, you CAN install a longer barrel, and stock, etc, Building a rifle from a pistol is not illegal. Can you change it back to a pistol again? The legality of THAT has been argued both ways. I would urge you to get a written reply from the ATF Firearms Technical Branch in West Virginia. NEVER have a firearm with a buttstock and a barrel under 16" unless you have your papers in hand from the BATFE.

Last- the AR-10 is not as standardized as the AR-15, You will encounter parts from different makers that will not marry up.

Oh- one more thing- I do not know you, so I mention this- you must be 21 to purchase any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun from any dealer. That includes a bare virgin receiver.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #3

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonSpears View Post
I am interested in building an AR10 pistol for Deer hunting in Southern Minnesota, what do I need to watch out for?
Recoil for one. A rifle's weight, along with your shoulder, can absorb a significant amount of recoil, of which will now go exclusively into your hands. Like c3shooter said, I don't know you. You may be a mountain of muscle and have no problem handling the recoil, but irregardless, your aim will be less accurate than if you were shooting a rifle. Your optimum barrel length will be 16 to 24 inches long. Any length not in those ranges will decrease your accuracy and range.