You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Someone please help. Problem with my target AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Someone please help. Problem with my target AR - AR-15 Discussion
This is the gas port on the barrel. You can see the shroud of carbon around the port and some blow by on the shelf.
Another view
gas port on the block. You can see some blow by on the gas tube.
Another view of the gas block
Receiver end of the gas tube

From what I can see it looks like I have some sealing problems in the gas block. Now is it because the ports aren't lining up, or another problem? How do I insure the two ports line up?

Thanks for the help guys

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1823 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 1769

Well if you temporarily remove the gas tube from the block then a bent paper clip through the gas block will help you line up with the barrel's gas port. I read that somewhere and think it was Sniper03 who gave that tip.

US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #13

Liked 783 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Darin:

What Quentin suggested will work fine. An alternative albeit more lengthy process is to first make sure the opening in the tube lines up with the port in the gas block when pinned...this will determine if the gas block and the tube are in spec or need replacing. Now remove the tube from the gas block and align the port in the tube with the port in the barrel so that the center of the tube port is centered with the barrel port. Using a black sharpie make an index mark on the tube and barrel to be used to align the gas block. Insert the tube back in the gas block, making sure the port is facing down towards the barrel, and pin it securely. Slide the gas block onto the barrel and align the index mark on the tube with the index mark on the barrel making sure the tube is aligned straight to the opening in the barrel nut and receiver. Tighten down the gas block. At this point the barrel, tube and block ports should be in perfect front-to-back and side-to-side alignment. Relying on the shoulder cut in the barrel to align the gas block can be problematic if the ports on the barrel or gas block are the tiniest bit out of spec...not uncommon on some barrels, also that shoulder is cut to allow for a hand guard cap so the gas block is actually about 1/16" forward...

A little opinion here, those 2 screw blocks are notorious for leaking, I would recommend a different attachment type if possible.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-02-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #14

Thank you for the great help. I will get a different block and follow your procedure. I am also getting an a2 stock assembly. If that didn't work then the spring is getting cut. Thank you again guys.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #15

Liked 783 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft
Thank you for the great help. I will get a different block and follow your procedure. I am also getting an a2 stock assembly. If that didn't work then the spring is getting cut. Thank you again guys.
If you get an A2 stock you will need a new tube spring and buffer anyway. You do have a carbine length spring and buffer now right?
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #16

Yes. I put the carbine on there because that was all I had. Thanks again.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #17

I have to say thanks to JPyle. He was correct. There was too much blow by around the gas tube. It was also leaking between the barrel and the gas block. I put a YHM GB on it and the problem went away.

Thank you to JPyle and all those who replied.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #18

Liked 372 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well if you temporarily remove the gas tube from the block then a bent paper clip through the gas block will help you line up with the barrel's gas port. I read that somewhere and think it was Sniper03 who gave that tip.
I am glad the problem has already been resolved, but I have another method of lining the gas block on the barrel. I take a straight edge and draw a line with some white out from the port to past where the gas block will end. Then I make another line from the port on the gas block to where it mounts on the barrel. When I put the gas block on the barrel, I just make sure the lines touch and I am good to go. The white out can be wiped off without scratching the barrel and no one knows it wasn't mounted at the factory.

Quentin Likes This