Someone please help. Problem with my target AR


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Someone please help. Problem with my target AR

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Someone please help. Problem with my target AR

My target AR constantly short cycles.

1. Numerous times when shooting I will have an empty chamber and will have to cycle it manually. It appears the bolt is not cycling back far enough to pick up the next round in the mag.

2. Every time the last round is fired the bolt will hold open on the follower and not on the BHO. I have to manually pull the bolt back another 1/2" before the bolt will catch on the BHO.

3. It will ALWAYS eject the spent case and never stovepipes.

4. If I have to extract an unspent round for some reason, it take a TON of effort to pull the bolt from battery as if the chamber is too tight.

SPECS-
Pre built DPMS upper with a 16" SS bull barrel.

I have put two gas blocks on it, cleaned the gas tube and gas port.

CMMG lower with DPMS LPK

Carbine buffer and spring.

I have swapped this upper on my other AR with no change in performance. I am starting to think either the headspace is too tight or there is something wrong with the gas system.

Please help.
Darin



__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,832
Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default

1. Did the problem appear gradually with infrequent short cycles increasing to the current situation or did it appear suddenly?

2. Is the gas block seated properly? Any visible signs of gas escaping under the port?

3. Do you shoot a lot of steel cased ammo? Are the rims being torn off the cases?

4. What type and weight buffer? H1, H2, etc

Difficult to diagnose over the internet but given the problem can be repeated on a different lower points to the upper. Quite possibly the gas block port is not 100% in line with the barrel port. It happens, many folks simply line the gas block up with the shoulder cut in the barrel and pin it down...sometimes a little finesse is required. Goes without saying, make sure the gas key is securely attached to the carrier and there is no "mushrooming" of the tube end.

For the sticky extraction, try a chamber brush and some Hoppes. Steel ammo, if you shoot it, can leave a residue in the chamber that can gum up when reheated and adhere the brass to the chamber walls.



__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willfully armed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olathe,JOCO KS
Posts: 1,998
Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Are the gas key screws tight? Are the o rings lubed?

__________________

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

willfully armed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
1. Did the problem appear gradually with infrequent short cycles increasing to the current situation or did it appear suddenly
Has been a problem since the first day of operation.

Quote:
2. Is the gas block seated properly? Any visible signs of gas escaping under the port?
There are signs of gas escaping back toward the receiver, however happened with both gas blocks. There is a relief dome inside the gas block that allows a shadow of carbon to be left behind on the barrel. The gas port on the bbl is dead center of that shadow.

Quote:
3. Do you shoot a lot of steel cased ammo? Are the rims being torn off the cases?
I shot steel for a couple of hundred rounds, but switched out. The rims were not torn off. I would have to use a rod to get the case out.

Quote:
4. What type and weight buffer? H1, H2, etc
Standard M4 civilian buffer and spring that comes with the cheapo collapsible stocks.

Quote:
Difficult to diagnose over the internet but given the problem can be repeated on a different lower points to the upper. Quite possibly the gas block port is not 100% in line with the barrel port. It happens, many folks simply line the gas block up with the shoulder cut in the barrel and pin it down...sometimes a little finesse is required. Goes without saying, make sure the gas key is securely attached to the carrier and there is no "mushrooming" of the tube end.

For the sticky extraction, try a chamber brush and some Hoppes. Steel ammo, if you shoot it, can leave a residue in the chamber that can gum up when reheated and adhere the brass to the chamber walls.
I'll try that. Thanks for the help JPYLE, I really appreciate it
__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Are the gas key screws tight? Are the o rings lubed?
The screws are tight, but what O rings?
__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willfully armed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olathe,JOCO KS
Posts: 1,998
Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

The o rings on the bolt, inside the carrier.

Clean your chamber as well. Brakleen does exceptionally well on removing chamber deposits.

__________________

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

willfully armed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
The o rings on the bolt, inside the carrier.

Clean your chamber as well. Brakleen does exceptionally well on removing chamber deposits.

Wow well I feel stupid because I had no idea there were o rings there. I'll check tomorrow and post up. Thanks WA
__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,642
Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Default

Don't go looking for rubber O-rings though, just three steel gas rings on the bolt.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,832
Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Don't go looking for rubber O-rings though, just three steel gas rings on the bolt.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,562
Liked 1250 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Default

I'd say you have a buffer spring problem. I had the same issue with my DPMS LR-260,it was jamming,short cycling,and the bolt wouldn't stay open after last shot.
I could manually pull back the bolt,and it would lock open,but firing the rifle it wouldn't.
I ended up cutting 3 coils off the buffer spring,and all issues disappeared. The rifle works like a champ now.



__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Need for target trigger on Colt AR15 Match Target Model CR6724? Wizzzard AR-15 Discussion 4 10-07-2012 02:01 AM
target gun moneymaker17 Competition Shooting 6 04-09-2011 07:58 PM
Snap Caps problem? or gun/shooter problem? jtaylor418 1911 Forum 5 03-03-2010 03:06 AM