Some questions about my first AR build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Some questions about my first AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Default Some questions about my first AR build

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and this is only my second post, my first being in the Introduction section. I'm currently building my first AR and I've been trying to do my homework and taking my time with it. I have my lower receiver assembled and I had some questions for my upper. Here is my parts list so far.

Lower:
~Aim Surplus stripped lower receiver
~Magpul Miad Grip Kit OD Green
~Magpul CTR stock OD Green
~PSA Buffer tube and buffer
~Magpul Polymer Enhanced Trigger Guard OD Green
~Del-Ton LPK (I believe I heard somewhere these are DPMS parts?)

Upper:
~Del-Ton Chrome lined M4 Barrel
~YHM Specter Length Freefloat Diamond Forearm
~YHM Low Profile Gas Block
~YHM -28-5C2 Phantom Comp/Flash Hider W/Aggressive End
~Carbine length gas tube

So that's what I have so far. My next purchase needs to be an upper receiver. I was thinking a RRA A4 upper but I'm not sure if it would work with an M4 barrel. I know it's a silly question but I just want to make sure. Any advice on this?

My next question is about the BCG. I've been looking into a Spike's Nickel Boron BCG. Also I wanted to replace my current trigger and hammer with a Nickel Boron trigger and hammer. Again, any advice? I hear they are good but are they worth the price? Would I be just as well off with a chrome bcg?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you're looking at the PSA extension and buffer take the time to glance at their complete uppers. For the money you are getting a lot of quality.

I've had Young MFG BCGs and although they are nice a good mil-spec BCG has net all of my expectations for much less money. Just keep your AR lubed.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. I like PSA a lot so going with their A3 upper will be a good choice. Any recommendations for a "good mil-spec" bcg? What's a good upgrade for a hammer and trigger? I've googled all of this but I don't know which ones are worth the money. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

Likes Given: 4

For what its worth, I bought the firesale stripped lower and loaded it with a rock river parts kit with 2-stage trigger. I was so impressed I went back and picked a 4450 chrome lined middy with an MBUS and MOE fore-end. All in all, I've got a bad-assed AR that I've since added a MIAD grip, a BAD lever, an AFG, an Eotech 552, etc etc

Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Thank you for the info. I like PSA a lot so going with their A3 upper will be a good choice. Any recommendations for a "good mil-spec" bcg? What's a good upgrade for a hammer and trigger? I've googled all of this but I don't know which ones are worth the money. Thanks again for the reply.
PSA seems to make a good BCG from the reviews I've read. I believe it's their premium BCG for around $100. Danile Defense makes an outstanding BCG for $129.99 @ AIM Surplus Home. BCM also makes a very respected BCG for $139. Spikes mil-spec is around $100 as well.

I went w/ a Timmney 4# trigger. It's a drop in unit. Everything else I've used is standard mil-spec trigger stuff.

I have read mixed reviews on the RRA 2 stage. Some say it's unreliable and quick to fail others say it's great. I'm undecided but am not willing to spend the money to find out they're no good.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Thanks again for the responses. I've decided to go with the PSA A3 upper and the DD BCG. Those Timney triggers look nice. When I have some "extra" money I'll probably pick one up.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Thanks again for the responses. I've decided to go with the PSA A3 upper and the DD BCG. Those Timney triggers look nice. When I have some "extra" money I'll probably pick one up.
I feel you on the money thing. As important as a nice trigger is for getting the most out of a rifle I have such a hard time parting w/ the money to get one.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #8

Likes Given: 4

MJ, I'll keep you abreast of my RRA trig...200rnds and it it's clean as a whistle. I'll guess it's a 7lb trigger to the first stop, then a 1lb break thats clean like glass. Keeps me from jerkin', and the reset is fast and short. The only thing I have to compare to is my Colt CR6724 with it's 2-stage nm, which is a magnificent tirgger as well.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I put the RRA NM 2 stage trigger in every lower I build.I have shot thousands of rounds through them and have never had any problems with the triggers.

Some guy's love'em,some don't. i've tried out several of the aftermarket trigger's over the years,and always stick with the RRA NM 2 stage.

I will say that if I was building a gun for heavy use,I'd probably just get a standard trigger that was worked over by Bill Springfield at White Oak,those are some great triggers for a single stage.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #10

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

I also stick with the standard military trigger group. I've found that Stag and Daniel Defense LPKs have smooth milspec triggers. The Del-Ton and DPMS LPKs that I worked with had rough triggers. A Bushmaster was pretty good.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.