Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Some AR-15 observations from my last gun show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 365 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Some AR-15 observations from my last gun show

I went to a gun show in August and then came back to the same venue in December.

There was an interesting contrast to both shows, particularly around AR-15's. I was expecting AR-15 prices to be through the roof with any reasonably priced examples being quite rare due to the election and the ongoing panic buying.

In August the cheapest AR-15 I could find was $695, but the average seemed to be closer to $800 to $900. Loaded examples were going for $1500 and there were numerous AR-15's going for over $2000. I'm not counting anything not based on the standard Armalite/Colt platform. No SCAR's, no ACR's, etc.

In December, the cheapest AR-15's were about $650 and $700 to $750 versions were common. The average was still in the mid $800 but the "loaded" versions were easy to find under $1,000. There were a few going up to $1500. I could have counted on one hand how man $2000 rifles I saw.

This despite gun show attendance being much higher.

I've been wondering when the AR-15 bubble is going to pop. Who doesn't already own one that wants one? I'm actually waiting until after Christmas to see if prices will drop further, though the AR-15 is not my top choice.

Oh, good luck to the US Government trying to ban these rifles. There has got to be millions of AR-15 rifles in private hands by this point.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #2

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
I went to a gun show in August and then came back to the same venue in December.

There was an interesting contrast to both shows, particularly around AR-15's. I was expecting AR-15 prices to be through the roof with any reasonably priced examples being quite rare due to the election and the ongoing panic buying.

In August the cheapest AR-15 I could find was $695, but the average seemed to be closer to $800 to $900. Loaded examples were going for $1500 and there were numerous AR-15's going for over $2000. I'm not counting anything not based on the standard Armalite/Colt platform. No SCAR's, no ACR's, etc.

In December, the cheapest AR-15's were about $650 and $700 to $750 versions were common. The average was still in the mid $800 but the "loaded" versions were easy to find under $1,000. There were a few going up to $1500. I could have counted on one hand how man $2000 rifles I saw.

This despite gun show attendance being much higher.

I've been wondering when the AR-15 bubble is going to pop. Who doesn't already own one that wants one? I'm actually waiting until after Christmas to see if prices will drop further, though the AR-15 is not my top choice.

Oh, good luck to the US Government trying to ban these rifles. There has got to be millions of AR-15 rifles in private hands by this point.
I think dealers are seeing the light , the cheaper they are the more they sell . People just want one they dont care what it currently has on it for stocks, grips, hand guards and etc , Just gimme one before I cant get one mentality and the cheaper the better that way I can buy some ammo to go with it

Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I just sold an AR today to a guy who never held one. So there are still virgins out there.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I decided to build my first AR just a few months ago. I picked up a stripped SAA Lower and a PSA LPK. My parents ordered me a PSA M4 Madness 16" Upper for Christmas. I had never really been interested in the AR rifles before, but started toying with the idea of building one because I like to tinker with guns and there are few platforms in the world as easily customized as the AR. There are literally hundreds of thousands of options for the ARs. I'm planning on adding a .22 upper at some point and I'd like to do an SBR at some point too.

That's the great thing about the AR. It's so modular. If they can get them out into people's hands as inexpensively as possible, it really opens up the aftermarket for add-ons and supplies. It's a win-win all around.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
I decided to build my first AR just a few months ago. I picked up a stripped SAA Lower and a PSA LPK. My parents ordered me a PSA M4 Madness 16" Upper for Christmas. I had never really been interested in the AR rifles before, but started toying with the idea of building one because I like to tinker with guns and there are few platforms in the world as easily customized as the AR. There are literally hundreds of thousands of options for the ARs. I'm planning on adding a .22 upper at some point and I'd like to do an SBR at some point too.

That's the great thing about the AR. It's so modular. If they can get them out into people's hands as inexpensively as possible, it really opens up the aftermarket for add-ons and supplies. It's a win-win all around.
Careful with that SBR, they are NFA and a whole other ball game.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Careful with that SBR, they are NFA and a whole other ball game.
Yes sir... I haven't even finished my original build yet. But it's on the radar. I've been doing some research and reading some of the convoluted laws surrounding AR Pistols, AR Firearms and AR Rifles and which can become what and what can be done with which and what have you (God, that's an awful sentence, sorry).

I haven't filled out the paperwork yet either. I started working on it, but I'm going to take it down to my LGS and let those guys help with some of the terms and what not so I don't flub it up.

I appreciate your advice and I will be careful for sure. I just love the idea of a short barreled rifle!
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
Yes sir... I haven't even finished my original build yet. But it's on the radar. I've been doing some research and reading some of the convoluted laws surrounding AR Pistols, AR Firearms and AR Rifles and which can become what and what can be done with which and what have you (God, that's an awful sentence, sorry).

I haven't filled out the paperwork yet either. I started working on it, but I'm going to take it down to my LGS and let those guys help with some of the terms and what not so I don't flub it up.

I appreciate your advice and I will be careful for sure. I just love the idea of a short barreled rifle!
If you need some help lemme know I have done a few SBRs and I have gotten paperwork back to be fixed and thats no fun its a extra 2-3 weeks when that happens and after a 6 month wait the extra 2-3 week wait is painful
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

If you need some help lemme know I have done a few SBRs and I have gotten paperwork back to be fixed and thats no fun its a extra 2-3 weeks when that happens and after a 6 month wait the extra 2-3 week wait is painful
Thank you. I'll let you know if I have questions.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm still a AR virgin at this time but it's not from no interest. It's more from a financial issue at this time. I hope to change that status by this spring if i can.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5087 Times on 2893 Posts
Likes Given: 4253

From what I see and hear, demand has indeed gone up. But supply has, fortunately, gone through the roof.

Most folks don't obsess over brands, BUIS, front hand grips etc the way we do. We are AR enthusiasts. We can spot the difference between a LaRue and a Spikes from across the room. Joe lunch box can't.

So with dozens of makers out there, competition continues to drive prices even though demand is skyrocketing.

Most folks can't tell a Colt AR-15 from an Armalite AR 10 with the Weapon in their hands, so everyone is getting a piece of the action.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.