Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Some AR-15 observations from my last gun show (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/some-ar-15-observations-my-last-gun-show-77828/)

CrazedJava 12-06-2012 02:23 AM

Some AR-15 observations from my last gun show

I went to a gun show in August and then came back to the same venue in December.

There was an interesting contrast to both shows, particularly around AR-15's. I was expecting AR-15 prices to be through the roof with any reasonably priced examples being quite rare due to the election and the ongoing panic buying.

In August the cheapest AR-15 I could find was $695, but the average seemed to be closer to $800 to $900. Loaded examples were going for $1500 and there were numerous AR-15's going for over $2000. I'm not counting anything not based on the standard Armalite/Colt platform. No SCAR's, no ACR's, etc.

In December, the cheapest AR-15's were about $650 and $700 to $750 versions were common. The average was still in the mid $800 but the "loaded" versions were easy to find under $1,000. There were a few going up to $1500. I could have counted on one hand how man $2000 rifles I saw.

This despite gun show attendance being much higher.

I've been wondering when the AR-15 bubble is going to pop. Who doesn't already own one that wants one? I'm actually waiting until after Christmas to see if prices will drop further, though the AR-15 is not my top choice.

Oh, good luck to the US Government trying to ban these rifles. There has got to be millions of AR-15 rifles in private hands by this point.

purehavoc 12-06-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazedJava (Post 1040810)
I went to a gun show in August and then came back to the same venue in December.

There was an interesting contrast to both shows, particularly around AR-15's. I was expecting AR-15 prices to be through the roof with any reasonably priced examples being quite rare due to the election and the ongoing panic buying.

In August the cheapest AR-15 I could find was $695, but the average seemed to be closer to $800 to $900. Loaded examples were going for $1500 and there were numerous AR-15's going for over $2000. I'm not counting anything not based on the standard Armalite/Colt platform. No SCAR's, no ACR's, etc.

In December, the cheapest AR-15's were about $650 and $700 to $750 versions were common. The average was still in the mid $800 but the "loaded" versions were easy to find under $1,000. There were a few going up to $1500. I could have counted on one hand how man $2000 rifles I saw.

This despite gun show attendance being much higher.

I've been wondering when the AR-15 bubble is going to pop. Who doesn't already own one that wants one? I'm actually waiting until after Christmas to see if prices will drop further, though the AR-15 is not my top choice.

Oh, good luck to the US Government trying to ban these rifles. There has got to be millions of AR-15 rifles in private hands by this point.

I think dealers are seeing the light , the cheaper they are the more they sell . People just want one they dont care what it currently has on it for stocks, grips, hand guards and etc , Just gimme one before I cant get one mentality and the cheaper the better that way I can buy some ammo to go with it

silverado113 12-06-2012 03:08 AM

I just sold an AR today to a guy who never held one. So there are still virgins out there.

heymatthew 12-06-2012 02:40 PM

I decided to build my first AR just a few months ago. I picked up a stripped SAA Lower and a PSA LPK. My parents ordered me a PSA M4 Madness 16" Upper for Christmas. I had never really been interested in the AR rifles before, but started toying with the idea of building one because I like to tinker with guns and there are few platforms in the world as easily customized as the AR. There are literally hundreds of thousands of options for the ARs. I'm planning on adding a .22 upper at some point and I'd like to do an SBR at some point too.

That's the great thing about the AR. It's so modular. If they can get them out into people's hands as inexpensively as possible, it really opens up the aftermarket for add-ons and supplies. It's a win-win all around.

silverado113 12-06-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 1041325)
I decided to build my first AR just a few months ago. I picked up a stripped SAA Lower and a PSA LPK. My parents ordered me a PSA M4 Madness 16" Upper for Christmas. I had never really been interested in the AR rifles before, but started toying with the idea of building one because I like to tinker with guns and there are few platforms in the world as easily customized as the AR. There are literally hundreds of thousands of options for the ARs. I'm planning on adding a .22 upper at some point and I'd like to do an SBR at some point too.

That's the great thing about the AR. It's so modular. If they can get them out into people's hands as inexpensively as possible, it really opens up the aftermarket for add-ons and supplies. It's a win-win all around.

Careful with that SBR, they are NFA and a whole other ball game.

heymatthew 12-06-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113 (Post 1041330)
Careful with that SBR, they are NFA and a whole other ball game.

Yes sir... I haven't even finished my original build yet. But it's on the radar. I've been doing some research and reading some of the convoluted laws surrounding AR Pistols, AR Firearms and AR Rifles and which can become what and what can be done with which and what have you (God, that's an awful sentence, sorry).

I haven't filled out the paperwork yet either. I started working on it, but I'm going to take it down to my LGS and let those guys help with some of the terms and what not so I don't flub it up.

I appreciate your advice and I will be careful for sure. I just love the idea of a short barreled rifle!

purehavoc 12-06-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymatthew (Post 1041360)
Yes sir... I haven't even finished my original build yet. But it's on the radar. I've been doing some research and reading some of the convoluted laws surrounding AR Pistols, AR Firearms and AR Rifles and which can become what and what can be done with which and what have you (God, that's an awful sentence, sorry).

I haven't filled out the paperwork yet either. I started working on it, but I'm going to take it down to my LGS and let those guys help with some of the terms and what not so I don't flub it up.

I appreciate your advice and I will be careful for sure. I just love the idea of a short barreled rifle!

If you need some help lemme know I have done a few SBRs and I have gotten paperwork back to be fixed and thats no fun its a extra 2-3 weeks when that happens and after a 6 month wait the extra 2-3 week wait is painful ;)

heymatthew 12-07-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc

If you need some help lemme know I have done a few SBRs and I have gotten paperwork back to be fixed and thats no fun its a extra 2-3 weeks when that happens and after a 6 month wait the extra 2-3 week wait is painful ;)

Thank you. I'll let you know if I have questions.

Luckyshamrock40 12-07-2012 03:24 AM

I'm still a AR virgin at this time but it's not from no interest. It's more from a financial issue at this time. I hope to change that status by this spring if i can.

locutus 12-07-2012 04:32 PM

From what I see and hear, demand has indeed gone up. But supply has, fortunately, gone through the roof.

Most folks don't obsess over brands, BUIS, front hand grips etc the way we do. We are AR enthusiasts. We can spot the difference between a LaRue and a Spikes from across the room. Joe lunch box can't.

So with dozens of makers out there, competition continues to drive prices even though demand is skyrocketing.

Most folks can't tell a Colt AR-15 from an Armalite AR 10 with the Weapon in their hands, so everyone is getting a piece of the action.:)