so who makes a good quality out-the-box AR-15? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > so who makes a good quality out-the-box AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post
I'd most likely use it for long range target shooting, not close-up plinking but 100+ yard target and maybe varmit. So a bull barrel would be appropriate? And a scope....what else?
The bull barrel isn't a necessity, but it does help if you do alot of shooting. I have 18" to 24" set ups in both bull barrel and non-bull barrel that do great out to 600 yards. Most are set up with bipods and a scope. It all depends on your needs, what caliber, how mobile you want the set up to be, etc.

There are some very accurate AR set ups out there, that you can buy right over the counter. Some are very affordable, and require little to fine tune them to the point of being competitive in matches.

I picked up a DPMS not long ago at a garage (estate) sale, with a 24" bull barrel in 1:8 twist, free floated tube, dropped in a Chip McCormick trigger group, Nikon 4-20x tactical scope, Harris bipod, and am still into this particular piece less than $900 and it will group less than 1 moa @ 100 yards all day long with factory ammo. With match ammo, I am still shooting moa out to 4-500 yards, and less than 1.5moa @ 600! Oh yeah....I'm not supposed to be able to do that with a DPMS product

Depending on what over the counter constitues, I also have a Noveske upper and lower that I bought over the counter that will do that, too. But I paid almost 2x that for the Noveske.

Slo

Old 11-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Stag or Rock River would be my first choice for an off the shelf average priced good working gun.
Add to this list: CavArms, LMT and Sabre and you've pretty much covered the solid performing middle priced platforms.

My weapons are:

5.56 Colt 16" HBAR upper
5.56 RRA/Colt 16" hybrid lightweight upper
6.5 Sabre 18" Upper
5.56 MSTN/Noveske 12.5" Crusader upper

1 Dedicated RRA 9mm rifle (good for training/indoor ranges)

My lowers are:

LMT SOPMOD Match
Sundevil Billet Lightweight (assembled and tuned by me)

I simply swap the upper that I need onto one of the lowers depending on my needs for the day/issue. No need to have 50 rifles, I only have 2 hands.

Last edited by KellyTTE; 11-01-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've got two 5.56 Sabre 16" M4s. I love 'em.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First you need to figure out your pricepoint. Then learn what features you find desirable in your rifle, and look for the brand that offers the most features at your pricepoint.

Here are some manufacturers that I would consider complete guns out-of-the-box:

Colt (Model 6920)
Noveske
LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool)
Sabre Defence
CMMG
Stag
Bushmaster
Rock River Arms

CMMG & Rock River are my choices because of the value. You can order a well made rifle for a reasonable price and equip with a variety of options.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #15

Just a quick admin note about Left vs. Right hand AR's. As a service member, I can tell you that it doesnt matter if it's left or right handed from a firing perspective. There is a deflecter built into the back of the ejection port that deflects the brass away from the face of left handed shooters' face. You can get a lefty, but unless it's for aesthetics, save the $100. As for what brand of AR... I have a Bushmaster XM 15 (M-4 Clone) and like it. However, were I to do it over again, I would not hesitate to buy a Rock River Arms model. The reason, RRA installs competition triggers in their rifles and sells them for roughly the same price as my Bushy... Smith and Wessons mid to upper level AR's are nice and wont break the bank. If you are looking for an A-2 style hunting platform, it's hard to go wrong with the Remington, price is right and it's built by Bushmaster!

Jerry

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #16

I agree with ArmyGuyinAK about the left handed uppers. I have been to training that required shooting from the off side and have fired hundreds of rounds left handed from a standard configuration weapon with no brass in the face issues.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #17

I just picked up a Bushmaster XM-15 ES2. This is the first gun i've ever owned. I'm new to the gun world, but my cousin who is law enforcement has 2 Bushmasters and a Smith & Wesson with some law enforcement upgrades really likes the Bushmasters.

I can't wait to go to the range with it on Monday.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum - I don't know if we have done that yet.

Congrats on joining the Evil Black Rifle Club. The Bushmaster is a good choice. A few subtle mods and you should have yourself a great SHTF weapon.

Obviously I would suggest getting your hands on several good quality magazines and stock up on some ammo so you can practice, practice, practice...

JD

Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Welcome to the Forum - I don't know if we have done that yet.

Congrats on joining the Evil Black Rifle Club. The Bushmaster is a good choice. A few subtle mods and you should have yourself a great SHTF weapon.

Obviously I would suggest getting your hands on several good quality magazines and stock up on some ammo so you can practice, practice, practice...

JD

Thanks for the welcome. What mods would you make on it?

I have a good amount of ammo. I just need some mags for it. The gunshop wants 30 dollars for one mag!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdinga View Post
Thanks for the welcome. What mods would you make on it?

I have a good amount of ammo. I just need some mags for it. The gunshop wants 30 dollars for one mag!
The three big things I think are important on any AR are:

1) A good trigger. Either an after market drop in, or a tuned trigger done by a professional. A good trigger leads to more accurate rounds on target. Period.

2) A Free Floated forend. Keeps heat down and keeps any sling tension from affecting accuracy.

3) A good set of folding, back up sights in the event your optics go south for whatever reason.

Obviously several good, reliable magazines and lots and lots of practice...

JD