so who makes a good quality out-the-box AR-15?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > so who makes a good quality out-the-box AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default so who makes a good quality out-the-box AR-15?

If I were to buy a new STOCK AR-15 and didn't want to be dissapointed with the quality or craftsmanship or accuracy....what brand/model would you prefer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

How picky are you? How much money do you have to spend? Most of the manufacturers out the make an AR that works.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #3

I'm a lefty, so I went with a Stag Arms left handed 2T (brass ejects from the left rather than the right side). Very pleased with this weapon, so much so, that I bought a second one.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post
If I were to buy a new STOCK AR-15 and didn't want to be dissapointed with the quality or craftsmanship or accuracy....what brand/model would you prefer?
What will disappoint you or Dillinger, bkt, or junho, or other people on this site in regards to quality, accuracy, and workmanship might not disappoint me. Also, what is "stock"? Any AR these days is almost guarranteed to be "custom" built because there are so many options and variations to every single component.

Makes this a tough question to answer because there are so many variables........

Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #5

well, if I went to the Gander Mountain or another gun dealer and bought one off the shelf?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
well, if I went to the Gander Mountain or another gun dealer and bought one off the shelf?
What's your budget and what do you expect the rifle to do?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Figure out what your budget is, stick to it, then go out and find something you like that fits that number, fits you (as far as stock, pistol grip, length of pull, weight, doo-dads and doo-hickeys)

Do a little searching on-line and you'll find the manufacturer names that tend to pop often. Usually a little further searching will also tell you the pros-cons, QA issues, etc.

But for the most part, you could walk in to any gun store today, see something you like, lay down the plastic/paper/coins and walk out with a very good AR that will serve you well.

Asking a question like that usually ends up in the Chevy-vs-Ford-vs-Chrysler-vs-all the rest type of debates and choices. You really can't go wrong with most of today's models.

Slo

Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
That's kind of like asking "If I were to buy a new STOCK vehicle and didn't want to be disappointed with the quality or craftsmanship or mileage....what brand/model would you prefer?"

What do you want to do with it?

When I've seen ARs at Gander Mountain, they're usually pretty expensive...like $1400 for a plain vanilla configuration. I'd recommend against that; you can build or buy a better rifle for a lot less.

Do you want to do competition shooting? Do you want a varmint gun? Carbine?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #9

I'd most likely use it for long range target shooting, not close-up plinking but 100+ yard target and maybe varmit. So a bull barrel would be appropriate? And a scope....what else?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Stag or Rock River would be my first choice for an off the shelf average priced good working gun.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.