So for my next one . . .

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > So for my next one . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default So for my next one . . .

I just finished building my first ar which was a dedcated .22 and am planning on my 2nd with the usual 223 5.56 set up. I am looking for home defense, perimeter defense. If shtf maybe hunting, or should I not compromise this gun.

I am looking at
BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ YHM 12" Handguard. Any upgrade suggestions at this point? Lighter barrel, shorter barrel? Twist rate 1:7 is what this is but is 1;8 a better choice?
Also I heard that the setup should be chambered for 5.56 as you can shoot 223 if you want with a bit less accuracy but if its the other way around it isn't good. I assume the BCM is chambered for 5.56?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1171 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I would think the twist will be 1-9 or 1-8 on that setup. A 1-7 twist is a fast twist for heavy bullets.
I prefer a 1-8 twist,the smallest bullet I shoot is a 55gr and the largest is a 80gr HPBT Match that has to be shot as a single shot because of the cartridge overall length won't allow it to fit in the magazine.