Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   so many choices for an AR????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/so-many-choices-ar-102587/)

22XIQTNER 01-10-2014 01:06 AM

so many choices for an AR?????
 
can anyone help me out with choosing between maybe a Colt CRE $1599, 5.56/223, 1:8 twist and maybe another AR in that range. So many out there some of them I've never heard of ...keep finding more listed online. Want 1:8 or 1:9 twist and will withstand lots of firing. Christenson Arms has a sweet one for 3k but that's double what I want to pay. just wanting something that's not the cheapest but not the most expensive and Im gonna put a lot of rnds and time through it.
so used to shooting my pistols, mini 14, and my hunting rifles. Recently purchased a GSG 5 / 22 lr have been doing some training with you because the ammo is muuuuuuch cheeeeaper but I can't stand it I'm ready for my AR

JonM 01-10-2014 01:36 AM

One thing I don't like about the current crop of competition guns are the heavy 18" barrels. Your going to be running an optic 16" is sufficient. Lightweight hammerforged barrel is what I would use with a brake/compensator that's tuneable. But what do I know about competition ar15??? Nothing.

But its not an actual colt only a company licensing the colt name.

I do however know what makes a good ohsht go to war carbine.

Bravo company bfh midlength lightweight upper furniture of your choice bcm bolt carrier group bcm gunfighter charging handle blueforce two point sling pmags lower of your choice I use rra and bcm with a trigger pack from giesselle cmc or timney surefire brake adm qd mount with trijicon tr24 optic magpul buis

22XIQTNER 01-10-2014 01:52 AM

thanks for the info but after putting about 12 different types of ARs in my hand there is a select few that fit right and fit my shoulder perfectly. I do want to buy one more already made up and fits me right than having to go through all the scenario you just gave me of aftermarket parts. I'm Am and probably will get into building my own AR later and we'll have a good assumption of what& how I want to set it up with all the good information that i will be getn from this forum and a few good friends at the gun range. But for now I just need to buy one that suits me good and get to shooting right away and don't mind spendn little more thsn the 800 to 1k range

therewolf 01-10-2014 02:05 AM

I like that CRE. But I have an old Colt,

the comp rifle of yesteryear, so my taste is jaded.

You have to get what you are comfortable with.

The longer, heavier, barrels can be a test, if

you are in the woods hunting with it. If you're a

bigger guy, it won't bother you much. But if

you are a smaller person, it can stretch your endurance.

bluez 01-10-2014 02:52 AM

A lot of choices but if your budget is as high as $1600.. that is definitely considered premium territory around here.
You can pick up perfectly functioning and accurate rifles for under a grand.

But if you want to get something nice in that price range you can get Daniel Defense DDM4 for 1300-1400 streetprice (MSRP is higher)
And that's considered very much a premium gun that I would rank higher than the Colt (which is also considered good obviously)
At 1700-1800 the LMT CQB MRP are in your range... very very nice.

so many nice rifles in that price range ..
I also enjoy the real high end guns , even tho sometimes I call them boutique guns because pretty much anything from Daniel Defense on up, they spec out higher than Army/USMC issue rifles..
And since we dont fire full auto honestly its a bit overkill.

I am not trying to discourage you form buying a premium rifle..and having somethnig really nice is a lot of fun.
Just want to make sure you dont spend that money because u think you have to, to get something good.:)

JonM 01-10-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22XIQTNER (Post 1478999)
thanks for the info but after putting about 12 different types of ARs in my hand there is a select few that fit right and fit my shoulder perfectly. I do want to buy one more already made up and fits me right than having to go through all the scenario you just gave me of aftermarket parts. I'm Am and probably will get into building my own AR later and we'll have a good assumption of what& how I want to set it up with all the good information that i will be getn from this forum and a few good friends at the gun range. But for now I just need to buy one that suits me good and get to shooting right away and don't mind spendn little more thsn the 800 to 1k range

If you go rra complete lower or complete bcm lower or complete palmetto lower and bcm upper rra upper or whatever your not building anything just basic assembly put in a bcg charging handle mate lower to upper push two pins. Pretty much gonna have to do that with any ar15 when you clean it.


The reason I suggest picking your own handguard grip and stock is your not going to find one pre-built with everything you want.

Bcm and rra offer some of the widest range of prebuilt uppers with a huge selection of various handguard option on some really great barrels.

Anyway you can do what ya want just offering some advice that might save you money and headaches later.

sweeper22 01-11-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22XIQTNER (Post 1478959)
just wanting something that's not the cheapest but not the most expensive and Im gonna put a lot of rnds and time through it.

This rifle is pretty well identical to an $1100 Colt 6920. Just your basic milspec AR15 composed with the right materials and parts. Plus is comes with an excellent $400 optic to boot.

Quality parts, good all-around utility rifle, and the price is just silly. But it probably isn't exactly what you want. It's where I'd point anyone looking for the max quality out of $1K, however. The rifle alone is a pretty square deal for the $899 price tag.

kiabe1 01-11-2014 02:20 AM

Look at spikes tactical

TPower 01-12-2014 09:01 PM

here is a nice colt. AR6721:chrome heavy barrel m4 upper 5.56 cal
good price

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/76379/c/semi-auto-rifles

11B3OJ3 01-12-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 1479786)

This rifle is pretty well identical to an $1100 Colt 6920. Just your basic milspec AR15 composed with the right materials and parts. Plus is comes with an excellent $400 optic to boot.

Quality parts, good all-around utility rifle, and the price is just silly. But it probably isn't exactly what you want. It's where I'd point anyone looking for the max quality out of $1K, however. The rifle alone is a pretty square deal for the $899 price tag.

I dont know how PSA does it. That deal is crazy. The rifle alone is worth the price. I love that company, built a rifle during their Christmas sale for $571 to include tax and shipping.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.