So im a fng
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > So im a fng

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default So im a fng

I'm pretty sure I've posted on this before. But I've recently come into some extra cash and am looking to get an AR, as a general mess around and go shooting in the desert weapon. I would love the experience of assembling my own from scratch, but a lot of people I've spoken to have said that it would be just as easy and perhaps just as cheap as buying the upper and lower complete and having it shipped. So I guess the question I'm posing is, which would be better for me to try? Would I most likely foul it up if I built it from nothing since I have no real experience assembling them? How difficult would it be?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished building my first AR and can say I would definitely suggest building it from the ground up. There's nothing like putting in the extra work and knowing that you built it and know exactly how everything works. Makes you have a lot of pride in your gun and I can guarantee you will never sell your first build. However, if you are an individual who doesn't have basic tools or any knowledge of using them, then building from the ground up can get expensive just from purchasing tools. Head over to any of the AR build forums and look at all of the tools required to build the AR. Mind you that you can have a gunsmith's array of tools, and the average persons array of tools. You can shortcut any number of tools, except the armorers wrench, you will definitely need to purchase a quality one. You will also definitely need access to a bench vise. Everything else you can make do with household tools as long as you are careful. Research, Research, Research!!! Make sure you know how the gun operates based on each part so that when you are ordering parts you know that you have ordered everything.
Building an AR is not really that difficult is just seems like a daunting task. The cost difference between building a rifle from the ground up and just purchasing an upper and a lower and pinning them together is shrinking. But you have to answer several questions first to determine what you want exactly. By building from nothing you have the option of a truly customized gun. Caliber, Barrel length, rail length, free float or drop in, muzzle device, stock type (carbine or rifle), bolt carrier groups, triggers, etc... with just buying an upper and a lower you already have everything you need and if you want to change anything, well now you are spending extra money and are left with extra parts. The cost benefit from building a $700 gun is minimal compared to buying a completed gun, or upper and lower, however as the quality of the gun and customization goes up, so does the cost difference. Perfect example, the Noveske that I built for 3 gun, you can't buy in a store because it's so customized. I spent approximately $2,500 in parts and if you bought this in a store it would easily be over $3,500. Think it out and read some of the other threads and follow an actual build to see the steps and see if it's something you would want to do. Always come back to the forum because there are a ton of people who can help you every step of the way!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Depends on what you want.

Buying it complete you get:
1) manufacturer warranty
2) better resale value
3) peace of mind
4) less work (obviously) research reading etc.

Building it:
1) choose you own components, make it exactly how you want it.
2) learn how your rifle operates, makes it easier to trouble shootif you do have problems
3) satisfaction and pride from building it yourself.

For a first timer I honestly think you can building the lower yourself pretty easily with just a few common tools. The upper requires some special tools and is generally a bit more difficult to put together, so I usually recommend first times to buy their upper and build their lower. If price is an issue, then shopbaroundb sometimes you can find a great deal buying it complete. But remeber if you there a 11% excise tax for complete rifles.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 07-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Building an AR is not that difficult, but building the lower is definitely easier than building the upper. You will need a torque wrench and a vise for the upper. Also, a lot more homework is required in building the upper from scratch to ensure all your parts are going to be compatible. Building a lower and buying a complete upper is how many people do their first build. Even long time shooters will still buy complete uppers over building them, whether out of convenience, warranty, price, quality, or some other factor(s).

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

To begin I guarantee not a single person on this site can build their own AR. What we do here is assemble ARs for our personal use.

I say purchase the upper then lower on separate tickets then pin them together when you get back from your FFL.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
To begin I guarantee not a single person on this site can build their own AR. What we do here is assemble ARs for our personal use.

I say purchase the upper then lower on separate tickets then pin them together when you get back from your FFL.
Though I've always assembled my lowers, this is a good way to go for anyone if you choose the right upper and lower for you. And you avoid the FET of a complete rifle.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post

Ok I'm curious MJ, what's the difference in building and assembling? Seems to me more like semantics.....

Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Build your own AR-15?

Hhhhhhaaaaaaaavvvvvvvveeeeee you met spittinfire??

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f61/spittys-ar-build-21986/

Spitty was a regular here for quite some time before having a new addition to the family. He milled his own AR-15 and built himself a nice shooting stick.

JD

Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #9

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Ok I'm curious MJ, what's the difference in building and assembling? Seems to me more like semantics.....

Yeah, "building" is a term we all use, probably incorrectly, when assembling would be better since we rarely fabricate parts. Same goes with "building" a PC which I've done since about 1987 (and even had to use hacksaws occasionally) - "assembling" is a better term.

Really it doesn't matter that much, we all know the hard part is selecting the right parts for your application, assembling/building is easy peasy in comparison.

Whether it's a PC or AR, when you're BSing with your buddies it does sound better when you say you built it. Who wants to be that girlie man who buys an AR off the rack and uses a Mac!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Assembly is taking parts built by others and putting them together. Building is taking raw material and making the parts then putting them together.

I'm a sissy. I prefer factory built/assembled ARs (uppers mostly).