Smith&Wesson M&P15ORC curiosity
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Smith&Wesson M&P15ORC curiosity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Smith&Wesson M&P15ORC curiosity

Hello all...new here. I am considering getting into an AR type rifle. Truth be told I am vacillating a little because cash is tight and it's hard to justify dropping a $K on something I will likely not use very much. I have 5 handguns in various calibers, so home defense is covered. An AR would be for occasional enjoyment and in the event of a SHTF scenario, civil unrest, food shortages leading to home invasions to steal supplies, riots etc etc etc. Not saying it will come to this.....it is just an attempt at a justification to own a semi-auto rifle.

Has anyone had any experience with the Smith&Wesson M&P15ORC? If so, how do you like it, how accurate is it and how well does it operate in general, is it finicky as far as dirt, cheap ammo etc etc etc? I have zero time on AR's. When I was in the military I carried an FN FAL.

Up to now I actually have had my eye on the Stag Arms Mod. 1. They carry them at a firearm store close to me, from time to time. My bro-in-law has one and he loves it. He has put quite a few rounds through it with not a single problem. Having never fired it, or any AR, I have handled his Stag and the build quality, fit & finish etc seems very good ..... the gas key is staked correctly etc etc.

Then a couple weeks ago, I saw the S&W M&P Sport at my "local gunshop" and loved the sale price, but noticed it has no dust cover and no forward assist. More reading revealed it is very much considered an entry level AR type rifle.

Today I went down there again to see if I could stop procrastinating and twist my own arm to pull the trigger on the Stag AR, but it was sold. Bummer...and none left in the warehouse.

They actually had a bunch of new stock AR's in in various configurations. I spotted the Smith M&P15ORC.

Seems very nice...price was $999...... BUT........ no carry handle and no sights whatsoever! No BUIS....nada.

So by the time you put on a pair of iron sighta......you are closer to the $1200 price point which is what some of the other AR's go for, fully equipped with iron sights or a bit more for optics.

Also I read the trigger is not so great....heavy and somewhat excessive in the take up.

So........... decision's, decisions. If I do this, do I order a Stag or grab the S&W if they still have it?

Stag build for many AR manufacturers and their level of quality is very good... but..... Smith&Wesson is a very highly respected name in firearms. Prices are similar, plus it's possible the S&W price could be negotiated down a bit if I bought sights from them.

So, between a Stag Arms Mod.1 and the S&W M&P15ORC, which way would you go and why?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Stag Arms. S&W is great but they are also pricier due to their brand. You're basically paying extra for the brand for pretty much the same functions. Both are 1:9 twist with 4140 steel barrels. Overall Stag arms seem like a better value to me. Now if you really want best bang for your money many members will tell you to build your own AR-15 or at least build your own lower and slap a complete upper on.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Just an aside but the OR in ORC means optics ready, its a nicer way of them telling you that no sights come factory installed. S&W makes a fine product but you have run into the very issue that leads many to build their own AR, after putting $1,000 into a rifle you need to spend a few hundred more to get it to be what you really want. For the same money and a bit of effort you can build a higher quality rifle with EXACTLY the features you want. If you want the SW rollmark buy one of their lowers and pin an upper of your choice to it. You get to choose what trigger, BCA and stock to use, not what someone else wants to sell you. Look over some of the threads in the AR build forums, lots of folks, myself included, were once where you are and we all managed to build our own perfectly functioning ARs.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Well said. I came here looking for info to buy my first AR however I ended building my own. it was an exciting experience. I would do it again anyday.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
Well said. I came here looking for info to buy my first AR however I ended building my own. it was an exciting experience. I would do it again anyday.
^^^ this is the option i would recommend as you said you don't want drop a lot of $. It works out great as you can split the bill over a couple of monthes and build a rifle that will perform better than a pre-assembled one might perform. Plus you can build it to your liking as opposed to dropping the cabbage on a factory rifle and then spending more money on top customizing it to your liking plus you get the satisfaction of A) sense of accomplishment from creating something yourself and B) you know exactly how the thing works making diagnosing problems that may arise that much easier.

Did i mention it's cheaper? Alot of great guys on this site with a ton of knowledge that will go out of their way to help you out making building an option worth considering that much more

Either way you decide to go, enjoy good sir, the AR is a very fun and exciting platform to learn

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

As Jpyle said the OR in ORC means optics ready. And I believe the C stands for compliant as in CA neutered. I'm also a big fan of building your own AR but living in a ban state complicates things a lot. You can save money and build a better AR than you can buy locally but you must build it compliant to your local laws. Something to keep in mind always! The rest of us have it much easier...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Not all of us...the NJ AWB predated the Clinton ban so it remained in effect after 2004.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

How much does a Spikes compliant rifle cost?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #9

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Not all of us...the NJ AWB predated the Clinton ban so it remained in effect after 2004.
True, true Jpyle. Most of us have it pretty good but there are a handful of ban states out there to make life difficult.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks folks, a lot of helpful replies already.

I have considered building, very loosely though. Funny, yesterday on the way back from looking at these rifles again at the gun shop....I was really starting to consider a build again....for the very reason mentioned here. There are so many variants...it is like it's designed to suck you in.

As far as a build, could you guys advise me on components in this thread, or would you prefer I search the forum a bit on my own?

I know what I want..... not too much frilly stuff....a clean looking AR without too many bells and whistles but with the option to add those if I change my mind. Accuracy and reliability are of the utmost importance. I don't expect a match grade rifle, but I do want one that shoots tight groups...... right where where I am telling them to go.

So I would want optics as well as BUIS. Optics that will cover the effective range of the rifle well. Accurate barrel, dust cover, forward assist. No bipod, no laser, no front pistol grip, no flashlights and tons of stuff dripping off the quad rail....although I do want some picatinny up front.

It needs the CA bullet button of course and 10 round magazines-I like the one's that only hold 10 but look like 30's.

Lastly, I am assuming the lower has the serial number. Would it be better for me to buy this first, just in case something weird happens and CA bans sales of anything vaguely resembling an "assault" rifle before I have ordered one?

And do I have to have this shipped to a dealer, FFL etc etc and do the transfer there? How does that work for Kalifornia? You know....the anti gun capitol of the USA.

Thanks again.