Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I was looking at an EOtech but I wasnt sure if it was good quality. The cheapest one I could find was like 409 bucks and it had 1100 hour runtime. It seemed pretty decent but I don't know a lot about scopes or sights for that matter. I will try to find a decent one on sale. Was it hard to sight in the holo or was it like a regular scope?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter94 View Post
I was looking at an EOtech but I wasnt sure if it was good quality. The cheapest one I could find was like 409 bucks and it had 1100 hour runtime. It seemed pretty decent but I don't know a lot about scopes or sights for that matter. I will try to find a decent one on sale. Was it hard to sight in the holo or was it like a regular scope?
Zeroing in an Eotech is beyond easy, it would be downright boring if it didn't take such a short time to accomplish. Admittedly, you can tremendously cut down on ammunition costs for zeroing by using a bore laser zeroing tool. Mine just looks like a .223 round with the bullet missing and a laser diode in the end. Drop it in the chamber while it's on, and point your rifle at a target on the zero range. Zero your sight to the red dot, then fine adjustments with live ammo, perfect zero with minimal ammo wasted.

The reason I went with the cheapest Eotech, the very $409 one you mentioned, was a story my brother told me about what happened to his squad-mate in Iraq with a model 512. First off, the 512's are not usually the troops use. Most use the CR123 battery version or the more expensive AA version that are night vision compatible. But his squad mate had his destroyed in an IED along with most of the hummer they were in. His new rifle didn't have an optic on it, and one of the other guys had a spare 512 he owned personally to loan him while waiting on a better one.

The very next day, while dismounted and engaged in semi-close urban fighting, a round clipped the hood of his model 512, blowing most of it off and taking the upper 1/3 of the glass with it. The sight kept functioning, still displaying the circle and dot without any loss of capability. That story impressed me so much that I decided 409 bucks was bloody well worth it.

Last edited by moshpit; 06-22-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter94 View Post
Gatekeeper,

I am mainly curious if it is reliable and if the Magpul equipment is of decent quality. I also am curious about any differences between a standard AR and this one. How many rounds have you put through it at one time and was there a lot of stopage?
I've got approx 750 rounds through mine so far with a total of zero stoppages.
I ran about 400 rounds without cleaning. I haven't got to shoot it a lot so far but have got it hot and dirty without suffering any malfunctions.
I really like the magpul equipment and feel it is excellent quality and a tremendous value for the price.
I was originally going to build my own AR using a lot of magpul components, so when I found the MOE at a good price with most of the stuff I wanted (Moe Buttstock, Grip, Magpul Back up rear sight, 16" chrome lined Barrel, M&P tested chromed bolt and carrier)I went that route instead and changed out or added the the other parts I wanted(longer handguard, Magpul BAD Lever, enhanced trigger guard, single point plate and Angled Fore Grip, Heavy buffer, rail mounted front sight, and Optic)
Gratuitous Gun pRon

How my MOE ended up

Model: M&P15
Caliber: 5.56mm
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
Front Sight: Daniel Defense Rail Mount(fixed)
Rear Sight: Folding Magpul® (MBUS)
Overall Length: 35" Extended/32" Collapsed
Stock: Magpul® MOE
Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
Chromed Comp: Barrel Bore, Gas Key, Bolt Carrier, Chamber
Magpul Enhanced trigger guard(aluminum)
--------Battery Assist Device (BAD Lever)
--------Single point sling plate
--------MS2 sling
--------Angled Fore Grip
--------30rd P-Mags
Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
BCM Gunfighter charging handle(medium)
Troy TRX extreme battlerail
Vortex SPARC red dot/mount

I've been extremely happy with the Smith so far.
And as far as the Magpul Components...........

My name is Gate---and I drink the Magpul Kool-Aid

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gratuitous Gun Pr0n, aka GGP, is a required suppliment to the diet of every BRD sufferer to alieviate the burning need to build more toys!

And pour me a cup 'o that Magpul Kool-Aid there, Gatekeeper!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #15

Again another impressive thing. I was skceptical for a while but I think it will come in handy. 410 bucks well spent.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #16

THanks all for the info and when I get this rifle in a few months I will post pictures of how it turns out.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Will be waiting to see them

Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Eotech 511 @ Dynamic Armament

There are LESS EXPENSIVE models of Eotechs than the 512.
Don't you mean that "there were"? That's sold out, and it's a discontinued model.

Edit: I found one place out of 10 searches that actually had one in stock. BUT, if you can find it, it will save a BIG chunk of change, but for a massively inferior version. The batteries it uses only last 200 hours, and are not cheapy standard AA. I prefer 1100 hours on 2 dollar batteries.

Last edited by moshpit; 06-22-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
EOTech at Impact Guns Home

So I missed that. They aren't sold out everywhere. And some folks do carry other types of batteries than just the plain AA. Interesting, most of the new Eotech line is using the CR123...hmmmm
Still though, an interesting find! I didn't even know there was something below the 512. I honestly thought it was "bottom of the barrel" (sorry for bad pun), but love mine anyway.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #20

Thanks for saving me time on looking for that Mosh. I will look around and see what other holos there are. I will probably end up with the 512. Thanks guys