Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Smith and Wesson M&P15 MOE

I am interested in purchasing one of these rifles and I have done some research on it but I am not satisfied. I would like to know more about this gun and anything worth mentioning. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I bought one a couple of months ago and immediately did a little customization , so far its been accurate and 100% reliable. What info in particular are you looking for?

Link -------> http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/my-new-smith-m-p-15-a-26766/

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the M&P 15 ORC, but it's now so upgraded and customized, it's not recognizable from the rifle I brought home originally. And as Gatekeeper said, it's extremely accurate and 100% reliable, a real pleasure to shoot.

Also to mention, the upper and lower fit very tight, so there's zero wobble in it. That means it take a little more effort to pop the take down pins then other ARs, but it's worth it for that tightness. The charging action is a hair stiffer then on some of the other ARs I've been playing with lately as well. Not a bad thing, just noticeable.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #4

Gatekeeper,

I am mainly curious if it is reliable and if the Magpul equipment is of decent quality. I also am curious about any differences between a standard AR and this one. How many rounds have you put through it at one time and was there a lot of stopage?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #5

Moshpit,

I think it is better it be tight than lose. What is the difference between the ORC and the MOE?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter94 View Post
Moshpit,

I think it is better it be tight than lose. What is the difference between the ORC and the MOE?
The ORC is literally the most basic carbine M&P 15 you can get, literally. No sights of any kind at all on it. Flat top receiver and top railed gas block, it's "Optics Ready Compliant", though the compliant part is supposed to be to do with Cali compliance, and this puppy was NOT Cali complaint out of the box. Magpul 30 round mag, working mag release, normal grips, everything. I picked it with the intention of going nuts on it with customizations and upgrades, wanted the most basic S&W I could get.

The MOE comes pre-equiped with a bit of Magpul goodies already on it. I didn't want that because while I like Magpul items, I had different Magpul items in mind already.

Here's how mine turned out

Last edited by moshpit; 06-22-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #7

[QUOTE=moshpit;304405]The ORC is literally the most basic carbine M&P 15 you can get, literally. No sights of any kind at all on it. Flat top receiver and top railed gas block, it's "Optics Ready Compliant", though the compliant part is supposed to be to do with Cali compliance, and this puppy was NOT Cali complaint out of the box. Magpul 30 round mag, working mag release, normal grips, everything. I picked it with the intention of going nuts on it with customizations and upgrades, wanted the most basic S&W I could get.

The MOE comes pre-equiped with a bit of Magpul goodies already on it. I didn't want that because while I like Magpul items, I had different Magpul items in mind already.

That is a nice rifle! I wanted to get the MOE for the magpul stuff because it looked interesting. Mods are just so expensive i wanted to have a few things to get me started. Where did you get that holo sight? All of the holos I have seen are pretty spendy so I am looking for quality but not to expensive.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, to answer your question to Gatekeeper about how many rounds at one shooting session, and if stoppages happened, I can answer that one as well for mine. The most at one session ever has been just under 1000 rounds (nearly emptied a NATO surplus ammo can, barely a handful of rounds were left) when I had my brother and some friends with us at the ranges. It was all milsurp M855 SS109's, and we suffered zero stoppages (FTF, FTE) of any kind whatsoever. But, we took a break about half way into the session to add a bit more lube since I'm using CLP and you have to add more occasionally.

But in that and every other session (except a few of the very first range visits when I was in the middle of my modification spree on it) at the ranges with it so far, it's been a dream rifle. Accuracy went into the crapper for a bit while I was making some changes, but bounced back again once the last adjustments were made. My brother can shoot 3/4 MOA with it, I was proud as heck to get right at 1 MOA. I think it could shoot even tighter with a better shooter then my brother and I.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #9

Well that is impressive. When I get this gun i will test it. Thanks for the info. It will be helpful when I search around to find one at a good price.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter94 View Post
That is a nice rifle! I wanted to get the MOE for the magpul stuff because it looked interesting. Mods are just so expensive i wanted to have a few things to get me started. Where did you get that holo sight? All of the holos I have seen are pretty spendy so I am looking for quality but not to expensive.
Thank you! Very proud of how it turned out in the end, it was a rocky project with many ups and downs to get there. And mods DO get expensive, you're so right! And the mods I did could have been a lot more painful then they were if I hadn't caught stuff on sale at various places.

The holo sight is an Eotech 512.A65, the least expensive Eotech you can get at around 400-ish bucks. It's good for 1100 hours on a set of AA batteries according to the specs, I've only had mine for a couple of months now, but it's still on the same original set of batteries and has been used a LOT! I bought a whole 20 pack of batteries for it when I got it and am starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and swap em out anyway for good measure.