Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Smith and Wesson M&P 15 T (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/smith-wesson-m-p-15-t-89840/)

deadeye308 04-30-2013 03:08 PM

Smith and Wesson M&P 15 T

I've done some research already, but would like you guys input if you are willing. I've been talking with a guy that wants to sell his m&p 15t. It has roughly 150 rounds through it. Comes with single point sling, vertical forgrip, cheap bsa reddot scope. He wants $1,200 for it. Some questions,
Is that a a good AR for a first time buyer wanting to learn more about the platform?
Is that a good starting point if i want to upgrade later on, as far as add ons?
Seems like S&W has good quality products for the money, is that what everyone else would agree on?
As far as price? I guess I'll have to justify for my self, but does that seem like a fair price( not a panic price). seems alittle high as the MSRP is just under 1200. BUt how well do they hold their value.
Any help would be greatly helpful..... thanks in advance- Brett

kryptar19 04-30-2013 03:27 PM

Right now all prices are high, but they are starting to come down. $1200 isn't bad for the given circumstances. Everyone should know that S&W makes great products, and their AR's are no different.

There are some that will tell you that for that price you can get a Colt and it will be way better. That's hogwash...
The S&W is just as good, and will hold its value. After all, it does say Smith&Wesson on the side.

Forged receivers, hammer forged barrels with 5r rifling, chrome lined BGC, good trigger, what's not to love?
Plus, Smith&Wesson has some of the best customer service there is, not that you will need it.

I say go for it, I would. FWIW from a guy on the Internet.

j32407 04-30-2013 03:34 PM

For that price range, I would definitely hold off for a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, or LMT. The S&W just isn't worth it.

Overkill0084 04-30-2013 04:54 PM

S&W makes a decent gun. I show the "T" w/ an MSRP of $1,159. Paying over MSRP for a used one w/ a few inexpensive baubles bolted to it smacks of desperation.
I know the LGS here has returned AR prices back down to normal and has a decent stock on hand. They had some shocking mark ups at one point.
IMHO, in few more months and there will be a huge glut of ARs as people start unloading them to free up some cash. No need to buy an overpriced used one right now.

kryptar19 04-30-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084
S&W makes a decent gun. I show the "T" w/ an MSRP of $1,159. Paying over MSRP for a used one w/ a few inexpensive baubles bolted to it smacks of desperation.
I know the LGS here has returned AR prices back down to normal and has a decent stock on hand. They had some shocking mark ups at one point.
IMHO, in few more months and there will be a huge glut of ARs as people start unloading them to free up some cash. No need to buy an overpriced used one right now.

I agree completely with everything you just said.

If you are working with a honest business, prices should be almost back to normal.

bluez 04-30-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1231994)

Forged receivers, hammer forged barrels with 5r rifling, chrome lined BGC, good trigger, what's not to love?

I agree the MP15t is not a bad gun but the barrels are not hammer forged.

Acually it not even 4150 steel but 4140 steel like many entry level guns.

So the "t" is know to be decent but I am not crazy about the barel material.
The Mp 15 MOE in midlenght has a 4150 barrell ( also not hammer forged) and is oneof the few MP15's that does ( the carbine lenght MOE for example does not)
Specs here:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

it does come with a ral though and the 5R rifling is alikely as good as advertised

kryptar19 04-30-2013 06:15 PM

A company like Smith&Wesson isn't going to make an inferior product. There is a reason why they are world renown for being one of the best manufacturers.
I know first hand just how accurate and durable their AR's are.

I say all this at the risk of sounding myopic.

OP, $1200 is a bit high for a used one. If you can get him down to $1000 it would be a good buy.

JonM 04-30-2013 06:29 PM

I think if you wait a bit, nother 3-4 weeks maybe a scootch longer, your going to be in a buyers market as the sellers market is tanking.

800-900 is where i would personally price a sw mp15. Its a great budget gun but 1200 is not a price reflecting what your getting.

The 1100-1500 range is where more robust ar15 come in where you start finding chrome linings or uber accuracy mpi testing at various levels fa bcg things being staked correctly milspec buffer tubes etc.

The mp is top end of the low end ar15 and a great buy if your looking at budget ar15 if you can find one new under 1000.

Quentin 04-30-2013 07:03 PM

I also think it's priced way too high. $1200 can get you a better AR, even if you choose the parts and build it yourself. Heck I built up a S&W stripped lower, topped it off with a Daniel Defense hammer forged upper and came in under $1200. It beats that S&W. I'd keep looking.

Squawk 04-30-2013 07:08 PM

I'd go PSA. Get a CHF barreled upper and a stripped lower. After Parts and BCG, your in under $1000 and one hell of a rifle.