Smith and wesson m&p 15 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Smith and wesson m&p 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personally clean my guns to 1. Visually inspect the gun for damage, wear, and anything ales. 2. To keep them working to their best, and looking their best. I don't time myself. If it takes ten minutes then good, if it takes ten hours then yay. Finally 3. To know and understand their working parts. Best way to understand and trust your firearm is to pull it apart.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #42

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Cleaning guns is no different than cleaning your car, clothes, house, or anything else. You can do it quick and dirty, and call it "good enough", or else you can take your time and do it properly. There are no "rules" except the ones you make and choose to live with.

It's no secret a semi auto, any semi auto, requires more time to clean than say a bolt action. The direct impingement AR-15 more so because it craps where it eats. To do it correctly takes time. There isn't any way around this. So in the end it all boils down to what satisfies you. AR-15 rifles cost a lot of money in relationship to many other guns. Personally, I feel any gun, regardless of cost, deserves to be as clean and attended to as I can make it. When dealing with AR-15 rifles that takes me far longer than 15 minutes.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #43

Liked 2736 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

i agree, its always good imo to do the best job you can on anything.

i also agree that guns (at least from my perspective), are an expensive investment. i couldn't understand saving months for a gun and then failing to take good care of it.

both guns i sold , i got back a large % of what i paid for the gun. i think my efforts to take very good care of my guns does pay off.

but the MAIN reason i clean guns after every shoot & clean them well....is my limited shooting time. normally, due to life, i get to shoot about every other month. the idea of a gun sitting dirty for 2 months or so just bothers me. if i was shooting weekly, i'd probably follow the "so many rounds" cleaning as well.

i know i'm likely to get mixed input, but i will start another thread on AR cleaning. i am particularly interested in products to "soak" parts to make cleaning easier.