Smith and wesson m&p 15 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Smith and wesson m&p 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
disassembly of the AR, i agree , is a breeze imo. but the bolt components & chamber are just CAKED with crud when i am done shooting. i am fairly anal about a clean gun, so i spend some serious time getting it squeaky clean...
You don't have to get it white glove clean like they taught in boot camp.
In fact overcleaning is more harmful to firearms than undercleaning. Like others have said, proper lube is important but crud, the AR can live with it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

synical Likes This 
Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #32

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The biggest problem with lubricating an AR-15 rifle isn't what type of lube you use, but rather how often you apply it. The reason is the guns direct impingement design blows lubricant out of the weapon every time it is fired. I wouldn't go to the range with an AR-15 without a bottle of lube, anymore than I would go without my shoes.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #33

Liked 2723 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
In fact overcleaning is more harmful to firearms than undercleaning
i'm not scrubbing them with steel wool or sandblasting them....

how could keeping a clean rifle could be harmful? certainly goes against eveything i've been told.....

btw, sorry for the thread hi jack, maybe we should start a new thread?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #34

The M&P 15 is a great rifle. I've had the M&P 15OR for about a year and half now with about 2000 rounds plus through it and I have not had a single malfunction. I typically use federal bulk 5.56 but I have run UMC .223 and Tulammo as well, but it's mostly federal bulk. I also keep it cleaned and lubed properly before and after range visits so that constitutes to its record. I also use a cmmg .22 conversion kit a lot and put about 800-850 rounds through that. This rifle is also very accurate and at a bench with good fundamentals it's very possible to get good groups at up to 350 m. With my ACOG I was able to get rounds on paper at 800m but it certainly wasn't a desirable group. The bolt carrier and bolt are chrome lined and the chamber is as well, I can't remember off hand if the entire barrel is chrome lined but I think it is. It's a 16" barrel with a 1:9 right hand twist. The core of the rifle is very reliable in my experience, with proper maintenance of course, but IMO the stock furniture is pretty lacking. It comes with the standard furniture and no iron sights but the gas block has a 1913 picatinny rail on it to mount a front sight and obviously the flattop receiver will accept a rear sight and/or optics. For me the price tag was good but after all the external ergonomic upgrades, not to mention the ACOG, I ended spending more than I paid for it in the first place. For those that are curious I paid 749.99 plus tax. So aside from the inevitable upgrade costs, this is a great gun for the money.
Oh and a little side note: this is the only AR I own so I can't speak to it's comparability with other manufacturer's AR's.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #35

Over time and vigorous cleanings bore and chamber brushes, rods and patches do wear even hard chrome. Even plain ol' water wore away the Grand Canyon! You just want it clean enough to take into the field, not to a white glove inspection.

Your choice, but cleaning most firearms shouldn't take a full 15 minutes.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #36

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Your choice, but cleaning most firearms shouldn't take a full 15 minutes.
That's the first I've ever heard of this rule.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #37

Liked 2723 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

Quote:
Quentin;874392]Over time and vigorous cleanings bore and chamber brushes, rods and patches do wear even hard chrome. Even plain ol' water wore away the Grand Canyon!
ok, i will agree with you. like the grand canyon, after a FEW MILLION YEARS, my overzealous cleaning will likely damage my AR.

Quote:
Your choice, but cleaning most firearms shouldn't take a full 15 minutes
please my friend.....start a thread and teach me how to do it thoroughly in 15 minutes. i spend 15 minutes on the *#%$ barrels sometimes.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I spend 2-3 hrs cleaning my AR. I lovr cleaning it throughly.. real clean. I take my time and enjoying it ;

Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
... please my friend.....start a thread and teach me how to do it thoroughly in 15 minutes. i spend 15 minutes on the *#%$ barrels sometimes.
I've gotten so I infrequently clean the barrel, maybe after 5 range sessions. I just field strip and wipe down the BCG and upper and lubricate well after each session. Really, less than 10 minutes. When I do clean the barrel I pull through a wet patch with Hoppes, let it soak while doing the rest of the job, then pull through a few patches, then oil soaked patches, then a dry one or two. I don't care if the last dry patch comes out discolored. I don't use a bore brush or rod, just pull patches through with an Otis cable.

______

Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #40
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I've gotten so I infrequently clean the barrel, maybe after 5 range sessions. I just field strip and wipe down the BCG and upper and lubricate well after each session. Really, less than 10 minutes. When I do clean the barrel I pull through a wet patch with Hoppes, let it soak while doing the rest of the job, then pull through a few patches, then oil soaked patches, then a dry one or two. I don't care if the last dry patch comes out discolored. I don't use a bore brush or rod, just pull patches through with an Otis cable.
That's me as well but I will run a bore snake thru after each session. After 4-5 range sessions I'll do a full barrel cleaning as described above. My bcg comes out pretty clean between sessions (thanks to the long strike piston on the PWS) so barring that full cleaning I usually need about 10 minutes. That full cleaning will take a good half hour, upper,lower, barrel and bcg.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56