Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Small Problem With Getting My Lower.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Small Problem With Getting My Lower.

Hey forum, I'm having a small issue with getting my lower. It's not financial or an issue with the business. It's far worse... ***Insert epic "Dun Dun Dunnn" sound***

As it turns out, my mother isn't too fond of me bringing a firearm into the house. It does go to say - she hasn't forbid it! I'm 20 years of age and love my mother dearly and respect her.

She has told me she doesn't feel too comfortable about the whole idea. I've already paid for the lower and there is a $50 restocking fee (an absurd price if you ask me) and I don't want to feel like I wasted my money. I also don't want to feel guilty for getting it.

So I come to you guys for your opinions. What should I do? Should I go through with my purchase or bite my tongue and lose the $50?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Well it's a stripped lower, right? While technically a firearm you can truthfully tell her it's just a part that won't shoot. At least you have the most important part in your possession if things go south around election time November. Of course, her house, her rules.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Not to rain on your parade, but you may be getting ready to bump into another headache- if that is a stripped lower.

A stripped lower that is more than 80% complete is a firearm- legally. It is not yet a rifle nor a handgun- it can be assembled into either one. On the form 4473, it is an "other".

Federal law says that a dealer can sell a rifle or shotgun to a person at age 18. But all other fireams, you must be 21.

If it is a completed upper, with stock, it will be a rifle on the 4473. If it is 80% or less complete, it is not a firearm.

As far as parents desire- sorry- their house, their rules. If you want your own rules, find your own house. Does not mean I agree with their rules, but what I agree with does not matter- not my house.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not trying to be an a$$ here but don't you think you should have talked about it with her before you threw money down It's one thing if it were your own house but if your living under someone elses roof, common courtesy would be to talk it through with them before buying. Just my .02

Lived with my parents when i bought my first firearm and i talked it over with them before hand. They were not happy with the idea but the fact that i brought it up to them before purchasing sealed the deal in my case

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you respect her like you say (and it's sounds like you do to me), offer to compromise. See if she will allow you to take it, and then sell it. Explain to her that you could stand to make a little money instead of losing it, and at the same time you'll be respecting her wishes.