Slings
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Slings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 404 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Default Slings

Please excuse my language by I been meaning to scream this for months now:

WTF is up with one Point Slings!!!!

A sling is supposed to free up your hands when you are marching. With a 2 point sling I can even make it so it holds my rifle while I am running (!).
A 1 point cant even secure my rifle at slow shuffle if I use my hands for something else so why even bother with the sling?

Just about the only thing it is good for is to "transition to your backup gun in case of a failure".

Thats a Police/SWAT/Security contractor PoU as they get to ride wherever they go and the extra weight bulk of a backup handgun is of little consequence since they cna just lower their basic load since the van with the ammo and water is always nearby.

But from a light infantry or self defense or even guerrilla perspective that extra bulk/weight of a handgun is better invested into an extra canteen of water or 3 30rd mags.

Ok I get it, it's great to drop your hands off your rifle to get your handgun if you carry handguns while you carry a longgun (I mean WTF who DOES that other than SWAT and/or Security contractors??).

I see no other use for that.. Oh yeah and maybe if I am on a swat team and need to take down notes during the entry brief then a one point sling does a great job of keeping my hands free taking notes but so would a 2 point.

I sold my blackhawk one point before and I am mad at myself at buying another because a knowledgable guy at my range talked me into trying it again .
Its mounted perfect on my SIG 516 on the back of the receiver but it just doesn't work for me UNLESS i carry a backup handgun which I don't intend to as I dont live in a video game.

Every ounce on my body needs to earn its keep and a "back up handgun" simply doesnt do that.

My firepower is better served w/ 3 extra mags ( much bigger chance i'll need those), or more water (much bigger chance I need that) or simply less weight (100% chance I can make use of that)

Even if I have a 1 point sling I still need to carry my rifle in my hands at all times and i cant even use it to stabilize my fire like I can w/ with a 2 point.

Am I out to left field and missing something here?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 09-22-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Single point slings have their place in the "tactical" world. Personally my favorite is The Vickers 2 point sling by Blue force gear.....easily adjustable, I could run distance if need be with a rifle and its an all around well made sling.

Slings are a lot like the rifles they are attached to, everyone has their preference and what works for some doesn't always work for others.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 530

I'm with Howell on this one.

Single point slings are for light compact carbines that you simply need to attach to your body somewhere so you can go hands free if absolutely necessary. Best for use inside confined spaces.

For general purpose use a quick adjust two-point like a BFG is the way to go. I have several of their products, all excellent quality and durability.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #4

What bugs me is that so many folks are jumping onboard recommending them for all applications when they are only suited for very limited applications and Philosophy of Use.

I have several 2 points and am happy with them but I been trying to make 1 points work once again and they simply dont make sense to me for 90% of applications I can think of.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #5

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I was just thinking this the other day, though not in depth. I got a single point just because it was cheap and my girlfriends dad had one and I thought it was cool and worth getting. Then when I actually got it, it was kind of awkward. I synched it all the way and the rifle still hangs too low if you let it hang freely.

I wish I had gotten a two point sling. At least I'd have a use for it (stabilizing) and it looks normal if I were to actually sling my rifle.

In every day life or at the range I don't have much use for either. I'm not going to sling my rifle and walk around the range and I don't hunt, and I don't walk around my house playing with my guns and tossing them over my shoulder. Still, if I have to have one I'm going with a 2 point. More functional in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 530

You know, a civilian probably won't be carrying their rifle over hill and dale, apart from hunting. A civilian will most likely use their carbine inside their own home, if they ever use it, to defend themselves with... so a single point is acceptable.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the only benefit of the single point is that it doesn't get in the way as much...
The single point is tight on the chest (or plate carrier) and has the single chord to the weapon.
I think it's better for CQB because there's less straps to get hung on doors, or anything of that nature.

But I do agree that double points are better for long treks

The sling I have is made by condor...it's that bungie chord type
And it can either be a single or a double point...it's highly adjustable and has clips to transition to a single point.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check This One Out....Excellent!

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512