Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > single stage trigger choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
JonM I have know interest in a 2 stage trigger. I shoot a few a just don't want to start trying to adjust to a one and only trigger of that type late in life, How is that cmc for creep and over travel and is yours is the 3 1/2lber? My lightest trigger in any rifle I own is 2lbs and its in a old remmy 788 I've hunted with for 35 or 36 years. I hate to even do a 3 or 3 1/2lb trigger but its probably a bit more trouble free on a semi-auto but will get some use in a rifle match's with a son-in-law. For me its a fun gun/coyote rifle and would rather entertain a 1 1/2lb jewel !!.
Zero creep, zero over travel, move maybe 1/8" during shots. Literally every time I've shot my lvoa in front of someone they think it's full auto I I really get on it.

image-3339015892.jpg

Here is my rifle with the cmc 3.5 flat bow.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #12

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Now this is what I am wait to read. Good reviews on several brands, Not sure its make my choices any easier. You do learn with a light trigger you just get your finger around it till your ready to shoot something and that's what has been messing with me in the past with shooting my M&P15 and several other rifles. I found a cmc for $159.95, now if hyper touch could do that. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I like the JP Triggers. Have one in my Sabre Defence 6.5 Grendel and love it.
And if you want to improve a good trigger even better get some KNS Anti Rotate Pins!

Geissele triggers are OK but the guy is a complete, unprofessional, rude and arrogant jerk and I will not do business with his kind! For that reason it would be the last trigger in the world I would purchase no matter how good they are. I do not support people like that.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
JonM I have know interest in a 2 stage trigger. I shoot a few a just don't want to start trying to adjust to a one and only trigger of that type late in life, How is that cmc for creep and over travel and is yours is the 3 1/2lber? My lightest trigger in any rifle I own is 2lbs and its in a old remmy 788 I've hunted with for 35 or 36 years. I hate to even do a 3 or 3 1/2lb trigger but its probably a bit more trouble free on a semi-auto but will get some use in a rifle match's with a son-in-law. For me its a fun gun/coyote rifle and would rather entertain a 1 1/2lb jewel !!.

mine is a 4lb works great only thing is the clips holding it are SUPER tiny easy to lose on installation but they give you almost a dozen so its not a huge deal.

i prefer a good two stage over a single stage. ive got a timney in my precision ar15 at 3 lb and i vastly prefer the rra 2 stage in my match rifle. the only diff is that little bit of take up till you hit the sear.

if you plan on hunting or using it as a defensive firearm i highly recommend you DONT use a one stage for safety in a ar15. makes it too damn easy to shoot yourself or some one else if the gun is bumped or dropped. a one stage trigger will go off if you drop it high enough (like out of a tree stand or blind).

ive used both types a lot and good two stage is what i prefer over one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #15

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I've got a 3lbs timney skeletal trigger in my personal varmit rifle. Tuned down to ~1 lbs. It is an all day long prarrie rat killing machine out to 500+ yards. Light and crisp, zero overtravel, fast reset. Installs on standard pins.

Break is so clean and light I have to be careful handing it off to others. The put their finger inside the trigger guard and BANG! No one really believes an AR can have a trigger like that.

Definitely not a carry rifle trigger! Much too sensative for that. If you need to carry the rifle go with something heavier and safer!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-25-2013 at 12:11 AM.
JonM Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #16

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I do need to keep it safer for famlily that may shoot it as one will give it a go in some match locally. 3 31/2lb should do there as he does have a few hours shoot some look at and fire triggers. I have a timney in a custom hunter bolt rifle . set at 1 1/2lbs and first thing I did with it was start bangin the but pad straight down on the ground to try to trip it. 16 or 17 years later its still rock steady. You do have to watch the take up on any adjustable trigger for sure. My rifle that gets shot the most is a savage 223 set at 10 oz.

That's the reason for asking here. Looking for any that have given issues. I would not expect any of the non adjustables ,well other than spring changes to give problems but till you ask for owners view you don't know.

I think there a couple trigger makers that are too proud of there product and that reflects in there prices too.

I also had a 1lb jard trigger in a timed .22lr fun match go full auto when it worked itself out of adjustment, a little green lock tight and all has been good for the last 4 years.
Got ta decide !!! Need to pick one and order . Thanks guys.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I have an Argyle Armoring trigger in my AR-15. Single stage, 4 lbs, and awesome!

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
I have an Argyle Armoring trigger in my AR-15. Single stage, 4 lbs, and awesome!
now there's a shocker!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #19

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

What is a 2 stage and single stage trigger? Sorry I don't own a ar yet what is the diffrence? And what are standard triggers called?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
What is a 2 stage and single stage trigger? Sorry I don't own a ar yet what is the diffrence? And what are standard triggers called?
Two stage is the standard military trigger, or triggers derived from it. Usually a small to long length of pull with some weight (~4-6 lbs) before the sear starts to move. Length of pull and "feel, or gritiness" are what most people object to. The second stage is slightly higher weight (~5-8 lbs) as the sear lifts just before the gun fires. This is known as "break", and a clean crisp feeling is preferred here, with a weight just enough higher than the first stage so you can feel the rifle ready to fire. Military weight of triggers is kept higher for safety purposes.

It is possible to lower the weight and smooth the trigger with two stage. This will will give you a two stage "match" trigger. 2-3 lbs of first stage with ~3.5 lbs of break, and a very smooth trigger pull with no unevenness is considered to be a highend two stage trigger. This can be done with the low cost ALG trigger, some aftermarket springs and a little work on a polishing wheel.

A single stage trigger is like pulling on a candy cane with your finger. When you reach the breaking weight it snaps cleanly and the rifle fires. There is no movement of the trigger before it lets go. These are used in target and varmit rifle builds. Not a great trigger for a carry rifle. Too easy to fire accidentally.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.