Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Simple Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I don't understand that first statement, why buy assembled then replace parts when you can get it right in the first place.

Check DS specs. Commercial diameter receiver extension? Crap LPK? You don't want these things. You want mil spec diameter, quality LPK and H buffer.

If you really want it built and built right get a BCM blem lower for about $285 then add a stock. You won't have to upgrade the internals or RE.
Because i can always hone and reuse the parts that come in the kit. I also would like the complete working AR before the middle of July for personal reasons.

I'm going to feel like a total moron for asking this but what is LPK and H buffer? H buffer is the buffer tube or the actual recoil buffer in the tube or is it something else?

From the prices I've found better deals than the JB tactical with roll marks that are much more appealing. I actually like Double Star's symbol a lot for some reason.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #22

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Because i can always hone and reuse the parts that come in the kit. I also would like the complete working AR before the middle of July for personal reasons.

I'm going to feel like a total moron for asking this but what is LPK and H buffer? H buffer is the buffer tube or the actual recoil buffer in the tube or is it something else?

From the prices I've found better deals than the JB tactical with roll marks that are much more appealing. I actually like Double Star's symbol a lot for some reason.
LPK is the lower parts kit that you use to complete a stripped lower like the DoubleStar. Assuming you're wanting a telescoping stock instead of fixed A2: Receiver extension = buffer tube and the buffer is the weight that goes into the tube. A standard buffer usually is provided but you can upgrade to an H (heavy) buffer. Normally this is a good idea as is the milspec diameter RE. All I was saying is why not do it right the first time instead of having to upgrade parts later.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #23

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First time I put in a lower parts kit into a stripped lower took me about 30 minutes to read an ar15.com how to guide and about 45 mins to do it. It is suprisingly easy. You can use common tools such as allen wrenches or punches, rubber mallet, pliers, electrical tape, a plastic bag, and a razor blade.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #24

Yes, easy to do and if you order parts now, including an upper, you can have a finished rifle pretty quickly.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #25

BTW, look at the thread Magpul CTR vs. Modstock for a great price for the STR or ACS-L stock plus good quality LPK and RE kit for $150. Add your own stripped lower like the DoubleStar and you have a complete milspec lower for about $250. Links toward the end of that thread.

ETA
Ah, Tikki, you're a good man, already got those links in this thread!

______

Last edited by Quentin; 06-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #26

ty Q

Ruzia, the first thing i usually do when doing a new build is start up a spreadsheet. Once setup i can reference different options and prices. With a $375 budget for a lower you can really have a top of the line lower with a lot of bells and whistles.

I'm usually a function over form guy, so I like buying lowers that have little extras. Most lowers are the same. There are a few with ambidextrous controls, magazine well flares, and tensioner bolts to remove upper and lower play. Milled ones usually cost more as more machine time is needed to make them. They tend to look a little nicer (in my personal opinion) as the lines are cleaner, and have a few extra options built in to them. Its a personal choice thing but, there are only two reasons I would personally go with a milled unit. 1) if it was part of a matching pair. 2) if I needed a special feature, such as full ambidextrous controls like this unit. http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX556 For me, if its just looks, I'd rather get the forged receiver. Its stronger, its cheaper, I'm happy ^2.

As for recommendations on your lower build, always get milspec (over commercial) on your receiver extension tube (aka buffer tube). Make sure your stock is milspec, not commercial. If you decide to go with a rifle buffer system, then don't worry about this, but having a carbine style that is adjustable is very nice. If this is your first AR go with a standard milspec trigger. With a $375 budget you can choose just about any pistol grip and trigger guard you want, and have plenty in the budget for a pretty good stock. Expect to pay about $100 for a standard forged lower reciever, tho sometimes you can find them for $80 or even $60 on sale. Joe bob outfitters is having a sale on spikes tactical lower receivers right now $90 free shipping.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-21-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #27

And read this article, it should answer most of your questions......
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #28

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

$375 budget this is my suggestion , $79 PSA stripped lower , $129 PSA MOE lower build kit , and a $170 Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Trigger
Free shipping puts you at $378 and you will have a extra trigger group in case you ever decide to sell it ,you wont want to get rid of the Geissele trigger and you can keep it for your next one by swapping them out

Old 06-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for clearning that up Quentin

I'm still reading and trying to make up my mind, the links and info are greatly appreciated guys.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.