Simple Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Simple Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai
The MOE Carbine stock.

The receiver is marked "Multi" caliber like I like them to be but thats hardly worth the extra $100. My problem is that pre-assembled lowers that I like are all out of stock for what looks to be a long time. I was thinking Double Star but they're backordered.
MOE stock cost only $50. Almost all lowers are marked Multi. Which means it can accept 556 and 223. You should do some AR research or even read the famous Agent Tikki AR primer

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Well it's not that hard to build up a lower. With true milspec parts you can come in around $300 or less even with a MOE and H buffer.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

okdonk- I am doing AR research, just wanting input from actual AR owners about some of this stuff. I want to make the right decision on a lower and go from there. I'd much rather it be pre-assembled that way I can replace parts with better ones at my own pace.

The Double Star lower is going for $200 pre-assembled without a stock. I could easily find a stock I suppose.
What are the opiniones on Double Star receivers/parts?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #14

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
... I'd much rather it be pre-assembled that way I can replace parts with better ones at my own pace.

The Double Star lower is going for $200 pre-assembled without a stock. I could easily find a stock I suppose.
What are the opiniones on Double Star receivers/parts?
I don't understand that first statement, why buy assembled then replace parts when you can get it right in the first place.

Check DS specs. Commercial diameter receiver extension? Crap LPK? You don't want these things. You want mil spec diameter, quality LPK and H buffer.

If you really want it built and built right get a BCM blem lower for about $285 then add a stock. You won't have to upgrade the internals or RE.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For all intents and purposes forged is better han milled. Its cheaper and pound for pound stronger. Milled can be made stronger, but then it'd be heavier, and overbuilt. Honestly tho it desnt really matter all that much. The lower reciever doesn't take too much stress nor does it need to be all that strong. There are a few companies making PLASTIC lowers with some success.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

$375 seems a bit pricey to me, even in this inflated market.

A lower receiver is a lower receiver is a lower receiver. It is basically a device to hold the more important moving parts in their precise location. There are varying quality levels of craftsmanship, and some Al being used is of better composition than others, but at the end of the day the lower receiver really is just a containment device. You could build one out of plywood and it would do the same thing.

As long as you aren't purchasing a lower from "Bubba's Bar-B-Que pit and Ar Emporium", you will probably be okay.

Find one with a roll mark you like and go from there.

JD

Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Check out this thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/

Take a look at this thread, and see if there are any rollmarks that appeal to you.

If you like one in particular see if its readily available and buy it.

Then goto this site and buy a lower build kit.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-build-kit-sale/psa-str-lower-build-kit-black.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-build-kit-sale/psa-acs-l-lower-build-kit-black.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-build-kit-sale.html?utm_source=Build+Your+AR+for+Less&utm_ca mpaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits.html

The STR and ACL-S builds are really good buys. I've personally gone throught about 8 or 9 PSA lower parts kits with no issues so far. (edit on one order with about 3 lpks, a couple springs and detents were missing but a quick call and they sent it to me for free)

Personally I think that JB Tactical might have a pretty unique lower. I've only seen the Ace of Spades used in a homebrew build. See if you can get it stripped and add all the goodies yourself. It will be cheaper if you use the same parts, it can even be cheaper if you use better parts (within reason).

I've done a few lowers and they usually take me about 30-45 mins to due with a little help from my wife (holding it while I hammer in a couple roll pins) and basically taking my time. The first time I did it with the help of my friend and I think it took only about 1 hour. Its really not all that difficult and there are alot of resources (including a sticky at the top of the forum by our esteemed colleague BenLuby) that will walk you though it.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-17-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 106 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
MOE stock cost only $50. Almost all lowers are marked Multi. Which means it can accept 556 and 223. You should do some AR research or even read the famous Agent Tikki AR primer

That is not quite true. The ability to accept 556/223 is determined by the upper not the lower. More correctly the barrel chamber determines that. Not the marking on the lower. The lower doesn't know or care what kind of bullet you shoot. As long as the magazine fits and the hammer can strike the firing pin the lower will work.

The "MULTI CAL." marking means that you can use any caliber upper you want from 22lr to 50 Bohika. As long as the you can put the upper on it and the fc group works you have no restrictions. If it is marked 556/223, however, TECHNICALLY you are restricted to those calibers. By that, I mean that it's not a physical limitation but administrative. The 556/223 lower has all the same capabilities of the MULTI lower. But since the registration is limited to 556/223, so are you...TECHNICALLY. Will using any other caliber get you in trouble? Probably not. But, should you ever find yourself under the scrutiny of the BATF, it sure could.

So make sure you get a lower marked "MULTI" and you'll never have to worry about it.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 06-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Oops sorry for the wrong info, my bad. thx for correcting.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2602 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Ruzai,

First of all from what you said I would be finding another gun store to do business with. Due to tha amount of BS and lack on knowledge. The best lower and upper receivers out there are Forged. Forged receivers do not have air bubbles in them. Cast receivers do!
When buying a lower or upper receiver you want one made of 7075 T-6 Aluminum. Not those in the 60?? Series aluminum. Machined receivers made of the same quality aluminum are OK but somewhat more expensive with no real benefit unless you just want one and want to spend the money. But as stated they have no real advantage at all. Also as some have mentioned you want to get them from a reputable sources like those below.
Stag
Rock River
Spikes
CMMG
Colt
LMT
Eagle (Armalite)
Daniel Defense
Double Star is also good as you mentioned.
and other reputable manufacturers that do Mil-Spec quality work.
Some other manufacturers that are well known are far from producing Mil-Spec quality and will remain unmentioned!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy