Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Simple Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Simple Question

I'm looking to buy an AR-15 lower assembly and I know next to diddly-squat about the AR market when it comes to buying. So far I've gathered its cheaper to buy an assembly than build one from parts, given the tool cost and what-not (at the moemnt at least).

I have a chance to get a reciever group (stock, 1 magazine, and complete assembly) for $375. Its got magpul goodies on it, so the MOE stock I like and is SUPPOSEDLY milled.

Is this a good deal?

And just a curious side note, do forged recievers have the possibility of having air-pockets in them like I've been hearing from "the rumor factory" aka other gun-store patrons and interwebz?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5105 Times on 2655 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I'm looking to buy an AR-15 lower assembly and I know next to diddly-squat about the AR market when it comes to buying. So far I've gathered its cheaper to buy an assembly than build one from parts, given the tool cost and what-not (at the moemnt at least).

I have a chance to get a reciever group (stock, 1 magazine, and complete assembly) for $375. Its got magpul goodies on it, so the MOE stock I like and is SUPPOSEDLY milled.

Is this a good deal?

And just a curious side note, do forged recievers have the possibility of having air-pockets in them like I've been hearing from "the rumor factory" aka other gun-store patrons and interwebz?
any chunk of metal whether its source is mim, forge molded, billet, whatever can have "airpockets". thats why high stress parts like bolts and barrels on higher quality makers are magnetic particle inspected. the purpose of the tests is to look for cracks and voids.

with ar recievers i think its a non issue since unless your making the reciever out of steel there is no real way to tell with aluminum. aluminum tends to be pretty uniform and doesnt tend to bubble when molded into billets for milling or molded straight into the shape needed.

the way aluminum molds i dont see any real advantage of billet vs molded receivers other than billet-milled costs a lot more. whats far more important and makes forged vs milled kinda irrelevant is what grade is the aluminum made of and what specs is the given reciever made to. the process of getting there is kinda irrelevant in regards to aluminum.

look more at the general quality of the company's products the material the product is made of and what specification the product is being made to.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-15-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Liked 916 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 891

Depends what components are in the receiver. For $375 they should be top notch but I've got a feeling that in this case they're not. I'd put together the right parts myself.

Who's selling this thing anyway? Sounds like they're using scare tactics.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 404

Forged receivers are pounded to shape, so air pockets are usually not an issue. Cast receivers are where most folks worry about air pockets.

It would help to know the pedigree of the other parts in the lower receiver to justify that price. A complete lower can be had for less than $375.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

More details on the $375 complete lower please..

Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its a JB Tactical complete lower assembly. They're made near where I live currently but they dont really have a website up and running yet since they seem to be fairly new company based out of Wheat Ridge, CO. They're company symbol looks somewhat like a Ace Spade.

The person who told me it was milled is the store owner thats selling it. I didnt let on that I didnt know diddly about AR receivers, I just asked basic questions like where it was from and how it was made and if it was mil-spec. It is mil-spec from what I was told. The store itself specializes in selling black rifles so I doubt they'd lie about it being mil-spec.

It has a life-time warranty and is made to accept full-auto parts, hence the 3 position diagrams on the side of the receiver. Obviously I cant get any since I'm not an LEO or anything like that.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

To new to be charging that much IMO.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

If i were you, i can use that $375 to buy or build a complete lower with top notch brands.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #9

Liked 916 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
More details on the $375 complete lower please..
I'll ditto that. For that price they'd better tell you what went into the lower. And what stock does it come with? Also, if you really like the stripped lower and they'll sell it separate you can buy the rest of the parts for $180 or less depending on where you buy. Top notch parts, btw.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The MOE Carbine stock.

The receiver is marked "Multi" caliber like I like them to be but thats hardly worth the extra $100. My problem is that pre-assembled lowers that I like are all out of stock for what looks to be a long time. I was thinking Double Star but they're backordered.