Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Simple Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/simple-question-66459/)

Ruzai 06-15-2012 06:13 AM

Simple Question

I'm looking to buy an AR-15 lower assembly and I know next to diddly-squat about the AR market when it comes to buying. So far I've gathered its cheaper to buy an assembly than build one from parts, given the tool cost and what-not (at the moemnt at least).

I have a chance to get a reciever group (stock, 1 magazine, and complete assembly) for $375. Its got magpul goodies on it, so the MOE stock I like and is SUPPOSEDLY milled.

Is this a good deal?

And just a curious side note, do forged recievers have the possibility of having air-pockets in them like I've been hearing from "the rumor factory" aka other gun-store patrons and interwebz?

JonM 06-15-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruzai (Post 837030)
I'm looking to buy an AR-15 lower assembly and I know next to diddly-squat about the AR market when it comes to buying. So far I've gathered its cheaper to buy an assembly than build one from parts, given the tool cost and what-not (at the moemnt at least).

I have a chance to get a reciever group (stock, 1 magazine, and complete assembly) for $375. Its got magpul goodies on it, so the MOE stock I like and is SUPPOSEDLY milled.

Is this a good deal?

And just a curious side note, do forged recievers have the possibility of having air-pockets in them like I've been hearing from "the rumor factory" aka other gun-store patrons and interwebz?

any chunk of metal whether its source is mim, forge molded, billet, whatever can have "airpockets". thats why high stress parts like bolts and barrels on higher quality makers are magnetic particle inspected. the purpose of the tests is to look for cracks and voids.

with ar recievers i think its a non issue since unless your making the reciever out of steel there is no real way to tell with aluminum. aluminum tends to be pretty uniform and doesnt tend to bubble when molded into billets for milling or molded straight into the shape needed.

the way aluminum molds i dont see any real advantage of billet vs molded receivers other than billet-milled costs a lot more. whats far more important and makes forged vs milled kinda irrelevant is what grade is the aluminum made of and what specs is the given reciever made to. the process of getting there is kinda irrelevant in regards to aluminum.

look more at the general quality of the company's products the material the product is made of and what specification the product is being made to.

Quentin 06-15-2012 02:10 PM

Depends what components are in the receiver. For $375 they should be top notch but I've got a feeling that in this case they're not. I'd put together the right parts myself.

Who's selling this thing anyway? Sounds like they're using scare tactics.

SSGN_Doc 06-15-2012 02:23 PM

Forged receivers are pounded to shape, so air pockets are usually not an issue. Cast receivers are where most folks worry about air pockets.

It would help to know the pedigree of the other parts in the lower receiver to justify that price. A complete lower can be had for less than $375.

okdonk 06-15-2012 02:34 PM

More details on the $375 complete lower please..

Ruzai 06-17-2012 04:09 AM

Its a JB Tactical complete lower assembly. They're made near where I live currently but they dont really have a website up and running yet since they seem to be fairly new company based out of Wheat Ridge, CO. They're company symbol looks somewhat like a Ace Spade.

The person who told me it was milled is the store owner thats selling it. I didnt let on that I didnt know diddly about AR receivers, I just asked basic questions like where it was from and how it was made and if it was mil-spec. It is mil-spec from what I was told. The store itself specializes in selling black rifles so I doubt they'd lie about it being mil-spec.

It has a life-time warranty and is made to accept full-auto parts, hence the 3 position diagrams on the side of the receiver. Obviously I cant get any since I'm not an LEO or anything like that.

silverado113 06-17-2012 04:14 AM

To new to be charging that much IMO.

okdonk 06-17-2012 04:19 AM

If i were you, i can use that $375 to buy or build a complete lower with top notch brands.

Quentin 06-17-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk (Post 837261)
More details on the $375 complete lower please..

I'll ditto that. For that price they'd better tell you what went into the lower. And what stock does it come with? Also, if you really like the stripped lower and they'll sell it separate you can buy the rest of the parts for $180 or less depending on where you buy. Top notch parts, btw.

Ruzai 06-17-2012 04:59 AM

The MOE Carbine stock.

The receiver is marked "Multi" caliber like I like them to be but thats hardly worth the extra $100. My problem is that pre-assembled lowers that I like are all out of stock for what looks to be a long time. I was thinking Double Star but they're backordered.